Skip to content

Speaking of Mothballs

SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
Now that the weather's getting warmer, I decided
to put Raider in the kennel for a couple of hours a day but if some remember, Trayler my previous EBT was
bit by a rattler while he was in the kennel.  At any event, it was
suggested that mothballs will deter snakes so today I went to a couple of box
stores to buy some but it appears that all are now scented...WHAT????

I've got to find a store that sells the original scent that will deter
snakes and Raider so that he won't eat any.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    If you can't find them go to a Feed store where they sell actual Snake repellant.

hh-us-dt364b-1.png
    450 x 450 - 173K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2015
    Hang in???? Where's his kennel that snakes can get to it in the first place?  I'd dig a moat before I'd let my babies be that much out in the wild.... You have a moat all around your big outdoor kenels don't you Steve?

:((
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    philsergeant

I live in the foothills of Ca.  There's lots of field
    mice, gopher, moles among other critters, all roaming the countryside and
    obviously the rattlers that goes after them.  For added prevention I've attached
    1/2" wire mesh screen that's 3' high all along the perimeter of the kennel
    but to ensure it's "snake proof" I'll get snake repellent as Steve
    suggested.

As for a moat...we're in a serious drought where lakes and streams are or have
    dried up so a moat filled with water will only attract more critters and
    snakes.  

BTW, Raider is in the kennel for only a couple of hours a day while I'm doing
    chores or running errands.  The rest of the day is spent inside the house
    or with me on the boat.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Luckily we don't have too many rattlesnakes in my neck of the woods. Although I know they are out there I have yet to see one and I'm always out in the woods. Unfortunately we do have our fair share of Copperheads and some Cottonmouths. I run into Copperheads fairly often out in the woods but luckily have never seen one within close proximity of my kennel or home. I will admit two of my Bullies have been bit by copperheads. Both times were in the face, muzzle area. It doesn't stop them from messing with snakes every chance they get. With a copperhead bite they usually swell up a bit and it goes away after about 6 or 7 days. The Vets around make no worry over it due to their immune system and capability to fend off ill effects unless of course it's an old dog that may not be in good shape to begin with. Obviously cats get bit all the time around here but have no effect other than a small swelling. I guess you could say it would be more like a human getting a bee sting.

Regardless or not how little the venom effects dogs I do not enjoy seeing one of my Bullies come running over to me with a Copperhead in his mouth or even a harmless rat snake or king snake. I would be extremely concerned though if there was a high population of rattlesnakes around this area so I can under why Seon would want to put out some repellant in the area.

Here's a photo of a Copperhead I took with my phone camera last year. I almost stepped on it too. Fortunately for this snake I was not accompanied by one of my Bullies at the time so he lived to see another day.

Copperhead.jpg
    980 x 551 - 418K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2015
    Seon,  I often try to be humorous and every now and then it just doesn't fly.  In no way was I trying to make light of your predicament with my "moat" comment... A man can only evaluate the real threats of his own environment and I am sure you have yours well understood and under control. You need to do what you must do to protect your loved ones.  On that note, I must say that I am perhaps a little too nonchalant when it comes to snakes.  I grew up in Africa, and that continent is totally riddled with snakes, many of them poisonous.  We spent our afternoons after school trying to hunt and catch them.  Because actually catching them is as difficult as heck, and they high-tail as soon as they sense you nearby I've always felt the chances of getting bit are pretty low... (unless you stand on one while they are sleeping (which they do a lot), or come across their nest in a wood pile or amoung stored boxes etc).... Which is where I believe most people get bit. I've never seen or heard of them actually going after or attacking a person.  A dog in a confined space is probably more 'meal" looking for them though.... Take care.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Not a problem Phil.  Raider is getting accustom to the kennel but he sure gets "dusty" after a couple of hours of playing with the hanging rope.