Skip to content

feelings on Spaying/Neutering

just curious to see what people think.  most bullies i see are not fixed. my dog is 2 years, only 55lbs, and only on a ckc registration. he's a handsome boy and i love him but not really a stud dog.  he has great great disposition and %99 non aggressive.  should i neuter? i  think it just has to do with the responsibility of the dog owner. people will fight like cats and dogs about the medical benefits of spaying and neutering and the risks.   opinions? 

Comments

• If you have no intentions on studding him for his health and to prevent unwanted litters I would neuter him. Personally I dont want anything more than a pet wich he sounds like a great one!! I will let those that are responsible and educated handle the breeding!! Our shelters are full of unwanted ooops litters because of irresponsible people. Neuter him to save the unwanted puppies love him because hes your pet!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    This subject will generate many different opinions. I get asked this question almost every time someone purchases a puppy from us.

In truth, I think this question would get answered differently from one situation to the next. The biggest reason people "fix" their dogs is simply to prevent unplanned breeding. I realize many Vets will try their best to convince people to have their dog neutered or spayed by saying it will benefit their health. Sorry, but I fail to believe this logic. The surgery is common and simple and Vets do it everyday. There's no question it's a big part of their financial income.

If I were to walk into a random Vets office and tell them I had an 8 month old puppy that was hyper, stubborn, destructive, and hard to train the first suggestion I would hear would be to have him neutered. In the event that I didn't have any experience with dogs and listened to this advice this is what I'd notice. My dog would have the operation, come home groggy, and sleep. The next week or so he'd be recovering and his energy level would be minimized. Once fully recovered he'd be back to normal. However, due to his current age he'd be slowly maturing and settling down. By the time he reached 16 months of age he'd be listening a lot better, more obedient, less destructive, and a lot more controlable. Most would feel this is due to having him neutered but the truth is he would have matured and settled down regardless.

On TV you may have watched the Westminster Dog Show. These are the best of best within all breeds. They are ambassadors of the breed. In the event that there was health benefits, temperament benefits, or simply the best thing that should be done for dogs, I think these individuals would be setting the example for others to emulate by showing the dogs as spayed or neutered.

In the event you have a watchful eye over your dog and don't have any fear of him having an accidental breeding I see no benefit of having your dog fixed. I let our males roam outside freely and it's not like they're on a hunt for a female in season.

Years ago we had Kolohe spayed because she required it. I kind of regret it because soon after she packed on some weight and out of all my dogs her weight is the hardest to maintain. Currently she is still overweight. I'll admit she's old and less active but she can gain a pound from watching another dog eat while she rests on the couch. :D

I'm not trying to convince you not to have your dog fixed. I just want to point out that I have no ill feelings towards those that have kept their dogs intact in the very way God created them. If you fear that he has the chance to inappropriately breed with another dog than having him fixed would be a good idea to prevent unwanted puppies.

The decision is in your hands. If you are a responsible owner I don't think you're going to have any problems whether you decide to neuter or not.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I agree with Steve-i think it really depends on the situation.

Some people cannot reliably keep their intact males from intact females, some people findi t easier to simply alter the dog then deal with it-which is fine! Had Cesar not been neuterd when i brought Sadie in a while back, he deff would have been a few days after as there was NO WAY i wouldh ave been able to prevent an unwanted pregnancy-Cesar is neuterd already and humps anything remotely smelling of female!

i would jsut rather not take hte chance on a dog who is simply my pet and nothing more.

and sometimes, neutering can calm males down if they are over-sexed, i HATE to imagine what Cesar would have been like had hes tayed intact. but i have heard many many people who have neuterd an over-sexed male and found ith elping alot.

• i think the only reason that i would get him neutered for is aggression towards other intact males.    every other dog he loves but sometimes another male with his gumballs on will come about and a possible fight will happen but thats the nature of the beast i suppose. He is high energy and occasionally stubborn  but i tell ya what, he behaves alot better then most the other neutured dogs at the dog park haha
  • I feel that unless your dog is a show dog that you intend to breed they should be spayed / neutered . There are just too many dogs in shelters and with rescue groups and you can`t be 100% sure your dog could not ever get loose . 
  • I just pulled up a resue site online and was saddened at the massive numbers of homless pets:( makes me feel guilty for spending money on dogs when theirs so many out their that need a second chance and won't get them and will live in cages unloved and/or put to sleep for lack of homes. But......I wanted a BULL TERRIER dang it!!! I wouldn't give up my dogs for nothing in the world...still a sad thought for those out their so I feel ya Jennifer :|
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Came across this video today.It's amazing how much flak I get from people when people see my (only 10 month old) boy not neutered. It's like it's sinful and committed a crime. Like they say ignorance is bliss.

• edited October 2013
    Awesome video, great post!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2013
    UN-BER-******G-LIEVABLE!!! You know, I always knew this, always talked of this, for years, but never had an ounce of proof of it.... Thank you so much for finding it, great job. I mean God tells us all that altering must be wrong, otherwise He would have provided a switch for us to pull.... But I think this woman is so brave to come forward and admit what she has.... I could cry a river for her ....We had no alternative but to spay Isabella because she'll be living her whole life with her brother ( you may of heard of him, his name is Sir-Hump-a-Lot )... But I pray a sequel to this video is someone who has found a hormonal " rebalancing" drug to give spayed ( or neutered) dogs to save their lives.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    P.S. if its possible to paste a link to that video.. I'd like to forward it to 100 people... Can't get them all to join up here..
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited October 2013
    To me some of it just seems common sense. I'm into fitness and understand how the body works. Not everything is going to run parallel between dogs and humans. But both being mammals a lot is obviously going to be similar. Hormones play such a huge role in every aspect. Taking the primary producer away, especially when not even being close to being mature can't be good and is definitely going to affect things. It's much deeper than what just appears on the surface
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    My wife had both our male and female Pom fixed on our Vet's advice saying, if not, that they'd be more susceptible to cancer.  I'm glad that this video was posted because now Trayler will never be neutered!
  • I very much agree with steve I took Thor to the vet this past weekend and I was very surprised that the vet didn't even try to pursue getting him nurtured she only asked if I was planning on breeding him and him I was interested... I obviously told her no I dont want to neuter him lol but she even told me it isn't necessarily always the best thing to do and there isn't any real benefits from neutering or spaying a dog and she leaves that option to the owner... anyways I love this vet and she will be Thors doctor for good... and just saying what she told me :)
  • I just received my AKC package and throughout the booklets, they put a strong emphasize on spaying/neutering. I never knew this topic was so serious. With all that being said I still have no interest in neutering my pup
  • I also agree with Steve, I see no benifit in neutering if its not required. I had my male jack russle neutered because i dont want him to try cover my EBT but my bullies stay in tact.
    Its also my personal belief that its better to let a female have a litter of pups before spayding her.I had a dog that was a queen she could not have pups just phantom pregnancy and she never seemed to develop that mother instinct and loving nature.Not to say thats will always be the case.
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Trayler had is Rabies shot today and Dr asked when I'll be bringing him in to be neutered.  I told her not now.  She directed her comment to the wife saying that being that our female Pom is not spayed and with Trayler not neutered, we need to keep a very close eye on them. 

Yeah right...Pom is 4 lbs and Trayler at 16 weeks is 30 lbs., not to mention that the Pom doesn't let Trayler get 2 feet near her before she growls and then attacks him =; .
  • I would still be careful, those would be some funny looking pups! Hahaha
  • The Pom is just playing hard to get ;)
  • Have to tell you I know a mastiff and chiwawaa not sure how you spell that mix yes it did happen to them dad must have been the chiwawaa actually a cute dog in her own way :-S
  • My past two dogs have been females, but we are hoping for a male puppy for the first time.  I have a dwarf bunny that is male and he was neutered as soon as he was old enough because they apparently "spray" and we didn't want that since he's an inside bunny.  His breed's life expectancy is around 5-6 years old since he's around a pound and extremely small, but he's 11 1/2 now and goes to his vet weekly and is so feisty and fun-loving.  Even though the conversation is about dogs and not bunnies, I tend to agree with the thinking that neutering really doesn't alter personality and that shouldn't be the sole consideration to neuter or spay like it's a miracle calming procedure.

This might be totally dumb and everyone knows this except me, but not having had a male dog before, do they urinate on all sorts of stuff inside?  The video was a total turn around for me.  I've always been one to go along with the vet's advice, which is normally to neuter or spay when they reach a certain age.  Now, I'm planning to leave him intact for at least five or six years since we have always been a single dog home.
  • Male dogs will only mark new territory, or to send out messages for any lovely ladies out there in the parks. They will not mark all over your home, because that's their territory as well and their smell is already over everything. Females mark as well, don't know of you've ever noticed that prior. I think the vet sent out a great message to everyone, as long as you are a responsible owner, there is no medical reason to spay or neuter, but if you are an irresponsible owner, then it is best to do so. I like to think everyone in this forum is a responsible owner.
  • Thanks, Boyda.  At a few points in the video, I was distracted, but I thought the vet said something about a new dog in their household and that she was working on preventing the marking of stuff in their home.  It makes sense now after what you wrote because it was a new home to him.  I was afraid it would be going on regularly.  We live in the city, so our dog will be inside unless he's on a leash walking or in our fenced yard playing with us, never out of our sight.  I'm so glad the video was posted because I wouldn't have even given neutering him a second thought.
    Neuter all Vets!
  • Thank you for posting the video!!
  • males dont lift there leg in the house usaully,my first male used to once in awhile but only after my son was born and he only ever did it in the nursery and on the pram wheels.Not to sure what that was about.