Skip to content

Unpredictable behavior in my bull terrier pup

My nine month old bull terrier is a very sweet and loving pup to me and my boyfriend. But when it comes to other people she can be very unpredictable. Its different person to person. Some people she let's them pet her and acts fine. And others she will be ok with them petting her one moment and the next she snaps at them. We can't figure out what causes this. (Eye contact??) We are scarred to take her anywhere because we don't know how she's going to act.

Comments

• Hi @Kaliko I'm not a 100 per cent sure why she's doing this as not a problem I have ever come across myself but looking at it sometimes dogs don't like it when people leaning over them I wouldn't advise people coming down to her level for safety reasons incase she snapped at there face maybe try her with a soft muzzle and let people pet her on her back instead of her head the problem u will have is if u r tensing up the lead when someone pets her because u r nervous and I can understand why it will inly past negative energy to her and cause her to react .
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2015
    Welcome @Kaliko, I see this your first post....That's one wonderful looking dog, more photos please!!! Try to describe better the "Next second she snaps at them".... Sometimes the timing of this is the split second they stop petting her, and she doesn't want them to stop... a form of jealousy.... a "sign" that they are not feeling enough love..... And I say this because our Isabella (who un-disputedly is the most loved dog on earth) sometimes mildly has this tendency, although the snap is just a gesture .... sometimes the more they are loved, they more they expect loving ... (we call her the queen because she expects worship).... Also she may sense fear in some "petters".... Socialize her with as may confident people as possible and those "pretender" friends (that we all have) encourage them to not go near her (You can't fool a Bullie).... Plus I don't want at this stage to even contemplate the rare possibility that she is secretly aggressive... she is still a baby... how long have you had her?, how much serious exercise does she get?...how is she with kids and other dogs?... tell us everything you can think of, it helps
    Anyway, those are some of the various possibilities ... just to get you thinking and commenting.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks @philsergeant and @bigbear1tracey ! She is just a baby. We've had her since she was three months. I take her on a long walk everyday. And me and my boyfriend play with her for hours. Until she's tired and just wants to cuddle. She just wants to play with the kids. But i think she doesn't realize how big she is and can play a bit rough. And playing with dogs it depends on the dog she mists bullies them
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    All young Bullies are very rambunctious. But they improve (somewhat) with age.... Our kids are 2 and a bit. We have our 86 year old mother-in-law living with us and, although they know to be "gentle" with her we always have to keep and eye out because they could be having fun and bump her over. When you say "play", you are not wrestling with her are you?  That can make her tend to feel that biting is "part of the acceptable fun".
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.