owner, I bought my pup from a Reg'd breeder, I have only had her 5 day's
now, I noticed she had a Urinary Tract infection, which I took her to
the vet on the 4th day of owning her. The vet gave her the once over to
check if everything else was good and she had no other problems. The vet
noticed that she has an underbite, and asked me, if the breeder told me
about it,"Which I was not told",I have asked the breeder, but she is
saying it will corect its self, and the vet dosent know what she is
talking about. But the vet is the biggest Vet in Australia and is a
specialty vet, so I would assume they know what they are looking at.
I
want to breed her, and now I am wondering if she should be bred from,
or since she is only nearly 9 weeks old, could this fix it's self??
The
bottom Canines are touching the top of her mouth and there are indents
there right next to the top canines inside her mouth, so her baby teeth
are already digging in to the roof of her mouth, also when her mouth is
shut her little front teeth on the bottom are touching the roof of her
mouth as well. I need some advise please, firstly what if anything
should I be doing right now with it? And secondly should I be breeding
her?
I was going to be buying a male Pup for future breeding with
her this Friday, and am now unsure if I should go down that path yet, as
I wanted to have both pups grow up with each other.
But I am worried that the female I have paid lots of money for is now no good to breed with. Can someone please help me out, as I am getting mixed advise from all over the place. I have attached a
couple of photos so you can see what I am talking about.
DSC_0164.JPG
3840 x 2160 - 3M

Comments

• Sorry, My picture didnt work, Hopefully this one does.
    Karmas underbite.jpg
    448 x 252 - 56K
  • Hi Joanne welcome my sophie has a over shot jaw to and no it will not correct it self as i have had a couple of dogs with this and its always stayed the same as far as breeding I don't know if it will come out in puppys you will have to wait for one of the other members who breed to answer this question but I hope u will be happy with your bully what ever the outcome . ;;)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @Joanne - You mentioned your Vet saying your puppy had an underbite but I think you meant overbite. An underbite would look opposite with the lower teeth and jaw in front of the upper teeth. You have heard your Vet say she has an "Underjaw" which is probably correct.

Depending on the head shape and genes of the parents the lower jaw on many Bull Terriers will shift slightly forward as they grow and mature. However, it is a slight shift and based on the photo you provided no growth will compensate to the degree of overshot your puppy has.

With bites, many would rather see a slight underbite vice an overbite because Bull Terriers with an overshot bite most always lack in muzzle size and appearance causing a short shallow jaw or "Pig jaw.". With the jaw so far back it gives the visual appearance of a sharks mouth which is often looked at as a weak head. The photo I have below come from the BTCA Breed Standard and will help you understand what I mean.

Breeding her will have to be a decision based off the end result of her bite after she's done maturing. Right now it's difficult to forecast the severity of how her bite will end up. Right now it appears as though she won't even have her lower canines in front of her upper canines. If the parents have a large slope (or Roman Head) you may get more of a shift in the lower jaw than your Vet expects to see. The bite of a bull terrier does change with growth but the degree of change depends on the head type and size.

Overshot.JPG
    332 x 322 - 32K
    Heads.JPG
    520 x 574 - 64K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited March 2015
    That bite definitely doesn't look too good... Actually looks to be quite a severe overbite, not an underbite. My dog has just a slight underbite, her front little teeth are just barely in front of the top ones. They actually did not start out that way, but I was aware that a sister of hers from a different litter also had a slight underbite, so it is genetic. Many bull terriers seem to have a bit of trouble with canines digging into their gums, though typically this will change as their heads grow and change and often have to be assessed once they are older.

Here is a topic that might be of interest to you:
    http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/2058/loki-s-bite

Edit: Steve and I must have commented at the same time, I didn't see his response. Sorry to be a bit repetitive!
  • Hi,
    Thank you both for replying.
    You have both just confirmed what the vet said, and what I thought, and sorry I ment overbite, not under. I was looking online, and there was so many different answers to this, it was just to confusing for me. The vet the breeder took the little of puppies to for thier vet check, first needle and Baer test apparently did not say anything to the breeder about it. But the vet I took her to for her UTI saw it straight away. Apparently Bullies are different to other dogs with this, as this is what I kept coming across with different forums online anyway. Some say to take the canines out to allow the jaw to grow without the teeth stopping her jaw from growing properly, and others say ball therepy may help.
    I am going to a different vet today just for a second opinion, but I am pretty sure I will get the same answer. But even though I have not had her for a week yet, she is already attached to me as I to her, so I will love her with or without the overbite, it was just a major slap in the face when I was told by the vet, and the vet said the breeder would have been told the same thing on her vet check, but not told to us as we may not have bought her otherwise, as I do want to breed her later on. Thanks again
  • I've just looked a my sophies over bite and it's actually quite bad but she has no problems with it so as long as she's ok that's what counts same as your little one if the the people was breeders they would off known because I'm sure they would of checked the dogs teeth themselves being breeders but just kept there mouths shut as alot of them do I never picked up my EBT if I had I would of checked but even still I would of bought her as I'm not a breeder I don't know anything about showing just a dog lover lol I've looked at the pictures and think my girl has a pig jaw lol now I know why she never let's go of a stick them teeth get stuck :)) I hope u don't fill too disappointed about things because if u decide not to breed you have a beautiful bully who will keep u on your toes .
    @Joanne - When puppies reach the age of 6 weeks old they receive full heath tests and vaccinations. It is normal protocol for them to have their bites checked. All Vets do this when conducting health tests on puppies. Was it noticed then? ABSOLUTELY. Did your breeder know? ABSOLUTELY.

You don't need to be a Vet anyway to check the bite on a puppy. Every breeder checks the bite on the puppies they produce. Most good breeders know each puppy like the back of their hand. For your breeder to claim they didn't know anything about the bite of your puppy is a blatant fib.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Do you guys think I should change the layout back to the way it was before?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • No steve why it looks nice .
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Don't know how the forum Layout/ Appearance popped up here, but I am loving this new format myself, everything very readable.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.