Skip to content

"Correction"

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
To stop biting, jumping up, rough-housing there are many techniques to use that work well, and are sure to eventually deter puppies from those basic habits. While I do not believe in hitting or hurting a BT puppy in any way, there are certain bad habits that are hard to teach 3 month old puppies to stop repeating without a light but sharp finger slap on the rump. Like tearing up their pee training pads 2 minutes after you've put them down during the day, while they don't do anything but pee on them at night for example. For the most part one accepts that there is little that can be left in their path that you shouldn't expect that they will demolish, but items that need to be around them they need to learn (eventually) to understand that they shouldn't keep tearing apart.  Well, in truth, they already know that their antics are wrong, because if you come across them ripping them up they run to the opposite end of the room as soon as they see you approach. However, it always hurts you more to administer the light wrap than it does to them when they receive it.  Just the look on their faces is enough to rip your heart out.  So, if anyone knows of any more effective, or even less effective but gentle teaching "correction", while the crime is taking place, I'm not talking "punishment" thereafter, I'd love to know of it. Time outs don't work, we hate to put them in their cages for anything other than sleeping. All and any experiences appreciated.
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• With my dogs to teach them to stop shredding or destroying things i would

#1. watch them like hawks

and

#2. when they DID grab somthing htey shouldnt i walk over to them and i use my hand to gently pry there mouths off it, then i block them with my hand saying "AHAH!

when they are real little they will test you, run up and bite at your hand, or bark or growl and act like its a funny game, then they get annoyed and try pushing into you like "you cant stop me! see how strong i am!"

i would simply stand my ground and be consistant, everytime they grab hold of my hand or an item they shouldnt i simply pry there mouth off and block. once htey stop chewing i remove my hand, if they try to grab again i block again, and again, and again till they realize its a boreing game and find somthing else

many times you can hurry that along by exchanging with a toy when you begin seeing them get bored of trying to figure out this game your playing iwth them.

but they soon learn that once you tell them "no" nothing htey can do is going to make you let htem have it and simply walk away. of coarse if they can sneak around you to chew things they most deff will-so always be vigilant and ever watchful!

ive never picked things to take them away from  Chimera, not even when she was tiny except dangerous things, shoes,boots, cords all left out, i never tore them away from her because she would learn nothing that way other then YOU take things AWAY-which can actually help cause resorce guarding.

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Thanx for that input. Appreciated. We do watch them like hawks, in fact we got a couple of wireless puppy cams that work like a total charm so we can watch them virtually 24/7.... We also hardly need to pry anything away because as soon as they tear into something and we approach to reprimand them, they stop and drop it, and scoot away because THEY KNOW THEY ARE WRONG and that we are displeased.  The problem is they wait 60 seconds until after you're gone and start again. They have a million chew toys, we seem to think they get TOO much yard time and play time because they are the most mischievous, naughty, adorable kids.... They seem to enjoy annoying us with things like hiding under a bush, or under the car in the garage, almost smiling in defiance... because there is no "punishment" in the correction????  When we get them out from under the bush we cuddle them and return them to the kitchen (their hangout)... What will make our displeasure have lasting effect?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    There's a lot of good discussion on this topic from a previous post (2 pages worth):

http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/89/brutus-nipping-aggression/p1

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • These dogs are 3 yr olds in dog suits if the repurcussions are not strong enough they will not work!!!! You said you hug them them when you finally get them out of the bush or underneath the car ( reward ) then you simply put them in their play area where its fun time with their cohort ( reward ). If you handled a small child this same way what would you end up with at 5 yrs old???......A BRAT!!!! My advice is read the related post and toughen up!! I know their cute but they wont be when they reach adolescents I know that first hand!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    I have to agree with Leslie. Bull Terriers understand what they can get away with and if they feel the consequences of their derogitory actions are triveal they will continue to act out in a fashion that's unacceptable because they are more than willing to accept the repercussions which to them don't outweigh the aspect of doing whatever they want.

A good example would be to train a Bull Terrier not to jump up on someone because they want attention. Most will learn quickly that this is not accepted by their owners. However, if you have a stranger come to the door and they are all excited they may test the waters by jumping up on them in hopes of attention. Often the owner of the dog will say No to the dog and the stranger may even say "It's OK, I love dogs." A bull terrier will quickly learn that he can continue to misbehave because he knows you won't yell at him, swat him on the butt, or discipline him in from of strangers. Now you've developed a continuous problem and he will forever run to the door every time your door bell rings and hope to greet everybody by jumping up on them knowing he's going to get petted and loved and you're not going to do much to stop it besides say "down."

There comes a time where you're going to have to discipline a Bull Terrier so he understands that negative behavior isn't excepted and derogatory actions have consequences. No, you don't need to hit him or inflict pain. A Bull Terrier wants to please their owner desperately and if they know you are upset with them they will get the message. However, you can't feel bad for them 5 minutes after disciplining your dog and rewarding them with a hug or treat. This will only make things worse and he'll never learn.

Your puppy is very young right now and all wound up with energy. Like many breeds of dogs, they will nip and bite trying to engage in some playful wrestle time but you need to be able to teach them that the days of playing like this when they were with their litter mates at 8 weeks old are over and this behavior is wrong. Every Bull Terrier puppy would love to jet across the living room floor while you walk by and snap at your feet and try their best to pull your sock completely off your feet without a care in the world that their sharp teeth are digging into you in the process. When something like this happens I suggest you grab him, pin him to the ground, and say "NO." Hold him there until he understands that you are in charge, you didn't appreciate his actions, and until he calms down he won't be let go. This is a very good way to get your point across, it doesn't hurt the puppy in any way, he won't enjoy being submitted, and he will calm down and realize what he did was unacceptable by you. Just don't reward him after you release him. Let him know you're upset and that he is to go away from you and calm down. In a short period of time he will be back to you with a different approach other than sinking his teeth into your foot.

Give it a try and let us know the results.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • How old are the puppies? Sometimes you just have to invest in different things to avoid the chaos. I dont agree with hitting a small puppy 6-8 weeks, in fact I dont really do anything of the sort until I feel I am starting to really feel pain from their puppy nips.

In regards to puppy pads you have MANY options, obviously they tear up the puppy pads, so you can actually buy something that holds the puppy pads down in place so they are not easily moved. Something like this

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les;&gs_rn=5&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=11&gs_id=3u&xhr=t&q=puppy+pad+holder&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.b2U&biw=1920&bih=926&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=3jU0Ucu9DsTDqQHXqICwDQ#imgrc=7zkOlL24WR8ECM:;q8yAJjegVOZJrM;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.valleyvet.com%2Fgroup_images%2F26578_A.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.valleyvet.com%2Fct_detail.html%3Fpgguid%3Def9b5167-2e71-40dd-b4bb-9d3951bdc571;1200;685

Perhaps maybe even this may work

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=indoor+bathroom+for+dogs&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.b2U&biw=1920&bih=926&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FTY0UY36MYrrrAGb3IGYDA#imgrc=3Z57Y7ZNtdCkYM:;JeAiMwgM3XPTrM;http%3A%2F%2Fimg.dilla.asia%2Fmedium%2F15%2Findoor%2520dog%2520potty_12.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fkell4s.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F09%2Findoor-dog-potty.html;400;276

when teaching them the right place to potty. Always put a little bit of their poop on it so they can smell it, and realize thats the place to go!!

When I had my puppies I had them in a large pool with small animal bedding called carefresh, now they had been in it since around 3 weeks old and i didnt have an issue with them eating it. Worked well, was easy to clean up, but of course, this was a temp solution, as we waited for them to be ready to go to their new homes. I didnt have a backyard at the time to put them in.
    Zerlett,
    Thanx for the input. I always look for your posts because they are always full of solid info and advise.
    The pups are 12 1/2 weeks.   We have the pad holders. Strange thing is, we have "pens" for them to sleep in our bedroom at night, and when they sleep there, besides being really good at sleeping virtually all night, they ALWAYS pee on the pads. But in the day they are confined to the kitchen and this is where they rip up the pads, and even if they haven't, they pee as far away from the pad as they can get. We have been really lucky in the poop department, they always hold until outside... which is not all that hard seeing as they go out every hour or so. Even at night, 8 hours, no poop.  We have only had two poop 'accidents' in 5 weeks, and generally associated with loose stool.  At night their behaviour is exemplary mostly because they are separated, but during they day, with all their play, they are very very mischievous.
    We were probably a little soft on them the first 4 weeks and have taken Leslie's admonition and are being more forceful and it does work.... This Forum is a great place to learn from with each ones input. Thanx all!
    I think both Leslie and I must have totally misread this topic as wanting information on corrective actions to minimize biting, jumping up, rough-housing, etc.

Anyhow, good luck with "Potty Training" efforts. I think the puppy pad hold in link that Danielle provided will be helpful. :D
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • How many puppies do you have right now? Are these puppies you are selling or keeping??

To be honest at 12 weeks I would not offer them a place to potty inside, I would start house training/kennel training them. They are big enough know that they should not be using the bathroom inside and I would, while at home be taking them outside every hour to relieve themselves. While potty training my pups I plan to keep I have them around an adult bull terrier and go outside with them to see them go to the bathroom its a train reaction. I have also used puppy diapers, the cloth kind and catch them in the act and grab them while going to the bathroom with a sharp NO and than set them outside, and use a treat while they pee outside. They also have super absorbent cloth puppy pads you can wash that you can put in their with them. I wouldnt have anything in their with 3 month old pups that can eat or tear things up probably just making you life hell. Lol.
    edited March 2013
    Steve,
    No, the unruly behaviour goes to biting, rough-housing as well as ripping up their pee pad. We think we have nailed it down to "combined" and "separated" behaviour.  If they are in their crates, pens, or outdoors with us ALONE... then they don't rip anything, pee in the wrong place or bite at us (playfully or otherwise)... they play with toys, chew chew toys, enjoy the garden, walks, runs, the works.
    When they are together in the kitchen, on walks, wherever, they constantly want to roughhouse, bite each other, pee OFF their training pad and rip it up. It's like they are trying to compete, not only for who can be the naughtiest and most disobedient but who is stronger.  We anticipated that they would compete for alpha status between them but at 12 weeks you'd think she would have accepted defeat. He is 25lbs, she 17.  The only time they play without aggressive competing is when they have the run of the garden and enjoying diving in and out bushes and convert their competition to gymnastic ability.
    Zerlett,
    (apologies not knowing your real name). We acquired them, siblings, at 8 weeks.  During the night he can hold it for the most part, but they both drink gallons, and she pees enough for both of them.... During they day they do go out every hour but, mostly she, pees anywhere unless she is in her crate.
    I'm sure the peeing will pass and I guess we are having a little too much patience with her weak bladder.  I know larger dog examples help teach pups better.. don't have any though. The treat outside works like a charm in the poop department!!!  They don't even take time to wipe before rushing over for them :-) and go immediately at "poop" time to get them fast.