Skip to content

Snake link for showing

So I'm trying to figure out what size snake link chain collar I need for Loki for showing. I know what length I need but not sure about width I need. He's only about 45lbs at 7 months and I don't see him getting much bigger then 60ish lbs. I got a beautiful kangaroo leather lead for Christmas from my boyfriend but need to get a collar to go with it. I plan on working on stacking with Loki in the next few weeks to get him ready for ring practices in spring. The site I have found them on go from 1.8mm in width to 5.5. So my question would be which width do I go with for a young bull terrier ? Hoping someone has experience with these types of show collars.
image.jpg
749 x 743 - 236K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    The picture you have illustrated is not a show lead. You won't see show leads with metal buckles that attach to collars.
    Most use very skinny leads (primarily white) which don't distract from the color of the dog. The leads are very simple and cheap actually. They are just a skinny slip looped lead.
    The best place to buy them is actually at the shows where you'll find MANY venders selling them.
    The concept of them being a looped lead is to put them on the neck very loosely and train the dog to stay at your side vice pull. Judges often pay attention to how tight the lead is around the neck which displays their level of training and discipline. A dog that can go around the ring without tightening the lead is commendable. Here's an example: (Pay attention to the how tight the lead is on Nitro's neck)

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • From what I have read about show leads is that only veteran dogs should use those kind of leads?

Collars and Leads

"Should be customized to YOUR dog, don’t just pick a certain collar because you have one, you think it looks nice, or someone you admire uses it. Use what you need to control your dog.

Noose or “English” lead: Only for the best trained dogs who are not interested in arguments. Minimal control, looks nice let down on the dog’s neck to give the appearance of more neck length.

Martingale: Again, only for well trained dogs with no aggressive tendencies. Good for dogs that have problems with “itchy neck” as it can be let well down the neck when gaiting.

Slide or classic “Resco” lead: Although used in many other Terrier breeds, this is NOT appropriate for Bull Terriers

Nylon Collar: Gives you better control, but does not allow sharp corrections. I like the “parachute cord” nylon which can be adjusted into the groove under the dog’s skull where he/she can FEEL it. I actually find this better than chain collars on some dogs that pull hard when gaiting. Nylon leads can be purchased to match these collars, but they can be hard on your hands, so consider a less “matchy” leather or Resco fabric lead if your hands are getting raw!

Chain collars: Always select a small link for showing, there are three types that I consider acceptable, the curb chain, which is a fine obedience style choke, snake link, and a very fine chain which like the parachute cord, can be fit in that groove behind the skull."
  • Also I had read that while white is the color you use for white bull terriers that with brindled dogs it should be black or brown as to not distract from the color of the dog.
  • Also there are only a few shows a year here in my area (spring only) and I am looking for something that I can use to practice with him now with.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That sure is a great lead for showing off your dog around town though!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Looking for one like Rufus is wearing here at this show. Skinny and delicate looking but strong. Not sure of the width this is but this is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to find. Anyone have a guess at the width of this link? They are pretty expensive online which is why I'm trying to make sure I get the right thickness.
    image.jpg
    750 x 969 - 131K
    That lead Rufus is wearing are fairly common and can be purchased from many companies. Again, you will find many of them at any show.

Actually the most common show lead for Bull Terriers are the thin white ones because most Bull Terriers have white necks and the idea is to utilize a lead that doesn't contrast in color.

I've never seen anyone using a thick lead to show their dog. If a thick lead was required in order to "control" the dog it would surely be noted that the dog required this kind of lead due to his or her training or lack of.

The thin leads are actually a lot stronger than you think. I would not recommend a big thick lead for showing.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Not looking for a thick lead. I'm just trying to get input on what millimeter chain that is that Rufus has. I don't want thick just a well made thin but strong snake chain. They are quite expensive for a quality one online and Im just trying to figure out what thickness I need for a standard bully. It's hard to tell online and I don't want to pay $50 and have it be too thick. And I live in a small area so picking one up from a show isn't really possible right now because there are only a few shows a year in my area (in spring) and I do really want to wait until then to start practicing or have to drive 5+hours away to get one. I did find a cheaper one on eBay and bought it. Hopefully I'll be able to tell from it which thickness I need in millimeters when I get a nicer one.
    I'm not sure what the exact thickness is on any of the leads we use. I've always picked them out in person at a store or from a vender at a show. Here's a couple photos of Lucian with a type of lead you like:

Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (185).JPG
    600 x 450 - 46K
    Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (57).JPG
    600 x 450 - 61K
    Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (66).JPG
    600 x 450 - 75K
    Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (107).JPG
    600 x 450 - 73K
    Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (129).JPG
    600 x 450 - 61K
    Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (133).JPG
    600 x 450 - 75K