Skip to content

Skin issues with 11 month old

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around for months, and finally decided to join.
I have a 11 month old Miniature Bull Terrier, which has been having some skin problems for a while now. I have learned a lot from the forums and raised many questions with the vet.
Brady, has a really bad bald spot on this tail, and a mild one on his head, he has lost all the hair under his neck and chest, he no longer wears a collar under on walks, because it was rubbing his fur off.
Recently he has had a severe allergy reaction to God knows what, broke out in hives all over his body, swollen eyes. the vet gave him a steroid shot and he is doing much better now. But his neck and chest are completely bald. I see pictures of bullies with a full haired chest and it make me feel so sad.
He currently takes salmon oil pills, allergy and skin/coat tabs, and Temaril-P (rx) everyday.  He eat wellness core grain free food.
but nothing helps his hair grow back.
I also noticed a discoloration in his nails, and between his toes, and after reading a lot on the forums it seems to be from yeast infection, I brought that up to his Vet and she was surprised with "my" findings and agreed with me, but wants to treat his allergies first, before the yeast infection. His nails are flaky and constantly break.
I also noticed some spots on his chest and behind his ears with a bunch of pinpoint black dots!! mostly on the chest, behind his ears its like a flaky white scabs that it I try to handle them his fur comes out in chunks.
if possible I would love some input!!
Thank you in advance!!
Brady 01.jpg
653 x 490 - 129K
Brady 01a.jpg
426 x 406 - 58K
Brady 02a.jpg
653 x 490 - 149K
Brady 02.jpg
490 x 653 - 110K
Brady 03.jpg
653 x 490 - 117K
Brady 03a.jpg
653 x 490 - 99K

Comments

• Well as soon as a made this post, I got a call from the Vet and Brady's allergy results are in. Food allergies to:PORK, CORN, BARLEY and KELP. Environmental allergies to: EVERY KNOWN TYPE OF GRASS AND TREE :(
    any advice would be helpful. The Vet wants to start antigen (allergen) shot treatment.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2014
    I would never say not to do what the vet recommends, never.... But if was me I wouldn't rely on it much.
    Food and bathing... those are the best solutions......Your boy is not in such terrible condition.... Read the following string.... :  http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/2018/desperately-need-advise-on-16-week-old-pup#latest
    and see how bad that bullie was and how much better he is now just a month or so later... read all the input and steps he took..... Your boy could be in great shape soon!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Welcome to the Forum!

Your Bullie needs a little attention but as Phil mentioned he's not in bad condition compared to many others that suffer from skin problems.

I'm not sure if you are aware or not but many Bull Terriers (especially in their adolescent stages) lose the fur off from the base of their tail as well as a small spot on the center of their head usually about the size of a dime. The skin in these two areas is often hard, scaly, or flaky. The reason some Bull Terriers are affected in one or both of these areas is because their scent glands are located in these areas. I often see photos of Facebook with other Bull Terriers showing the common sign of what many refer to as "Stud Tail." Some Bull Terriers aren't affected in these areas especially id their immune systems are strong and healthy while others face the problem of having these hard bald spots for many months until they reach full maturity as an adult.

The other red spots and skin issues I see on your EBT can be corrected with some changes noted in the link Phil provided. Concentrate on his immune system as well which will always be the best defense in preventing and correcting skin issues.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you..
    Here is what I just got:
    ACV
    Coconut Oil
    Douxo antiseptic Chlorhexidine + Climbazole
    Etiderm Shampoo
    Grizzly oil
    Nuvet

I hope this will help him, I know it will take some time to see results, I just hope it wont be too long.
    Main thing is the food, the rest is just the correction... what did you decide to feed him?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Wellness Core grain free puppy.
    after looking at all the ingredients it turns out I was feeding him the right food, hahah and it is rated at 5 stars ;)

• Glad you pup is doing better, lots of good advice in here.
    Maya has started to develop quite a patch of hair loss on the back of her neck ...going to start her on some NuVet supplements and order the Grizzy Salmon Oil and see where that gets us. No fun! Poor pups
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    At 11 months old I'm sure her immune system could use a boost from the NuVet supplement which I'm confident will help immensely. 

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Brady has been on NuVet now for 2 weeks, grizzy salmon oil, coconut oil,  ACV, Douxo antiseptic Chlorhexidine + Climbazole everyday on his paws, e bath twice a week with Etiderm Shampoo.
    His coat is looking MUCH better, I cant yet tell a different on the paws or tails. but I'm sure it takes some time for the NuVet to work its magic ;)
    edited November 2014
    If his paws are still reddish you need to look to his basic diet. So glad the other bits are working, fabulous!

• He is on Wellness Core Grain Free. but seems like the red/brown discoloration on the nails and paw are getting worse. I thought I read somewhere that someone was putting ACV on the paws instead of in the food. I might have to give it a try.
    When I give him a bath a scrub his paws really well and I am able to get some of that red/brown discoloration off of his nails.
    I know I must be patient, but I just want him to look like all the other bullies I see, with a full coat on the chest, and clean white paws. I can tell that the fur on his chest is starting to come back, but is mostly bald. When he is wet in the bath I can really see all the spots where he was loosing fur. But now his coat is so soft!!! it has never been this way before. I almost cant stop holding him. hahahah
    Perhaps try a different kibble and some raw, you are putting virgin coconut oil in the food I believe?
  • Yes virgin coconut oil. Ok I guess I'll go back and look at foods that dont have PORK, CORN, BARLEY and KELP.
  • Yes virgin coconut oil. Ok I guess I'll go back and look at foods that dont have PORK, CORN, BARLEY and KELP.
    My boy - Mike, having a similar issues. Hair loss on this chest, cheek, feet, forehead, small bald spot all over his body. And recently he start to develop some pimples over his body. And i have taken his collar off due to the hair loss. 

I started giving him Coconut oil and Grizzly Salmon Oil few weeks ago. His "remaining" coats and hair improved. Very shining and nice. 

I was feeding him pork in the past and switched over to Chicken Fillets this Monday.
    I have my finger crossed and hope he will be better soon.
    However, i always tell myself, no matter how long it takes, i will not give up.
    He is still my buddy and i love him tons.

I believed that we really need to be patient and consistence about it.
    We all want the best for our love. All the best to your boy.

Chicken Fillets, raw? cooked? what dry food?

• Cooked Chicken Fillets.
    Dry food i am giving Nutri-edge Stage 2 as the breeder provided previously.
    I still have 30% balance. Thinking of switching to Orenji Puppy.

I would switch to that or Pur Vita... Ditch the cooked chicken and add Raw Chicken Mince (like Darwins or other service).
  • I can see some improvement on Brady. I can tell that his chest hair is growing in, his coat is nice and soft, but his paws are still read :(
    Next week we will start the allergy shot treatment since he has so many environmental allergies..