Skip to content

Trifexis

This report on Trifexis has come to my attention.  I wanted to get everyone's opinion.
Trifexis for dogs.jpg
395 x 395 - 31K

Comments

• Suspected Trifexis-related dog deaths are being reported at a rate of more than one a day, a nearly 40 percent increase since Channel 2's Jim Strickland first r...eported on the medication in November. http://2wsb.tv/1xzS6eC

Wednesday on Channel 2 Action News, Strickland dug through the latest FDA data and heard from dog owners and vets about their experiences with the flea and heart worm prevention medication.
    If you missed it watch here: http://www.wsbtv.com/…/owners-vets-reporting-even-mo…/ngq59/

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I've heard many controversies with all types of flea and tick medication. If you look up every different brand you'll find many complaints that range from getting their dog sick to causing death. It's scary as hell and there's really no safe brand because you never know if a dog is going to have an allergic reaction. I guess this could be said with any medication. If people started looking into reports of dogs that ended up dying after being spayed and neutered it would put fear out to the public as well. Fortunately the chances of having a dog react in a negative manner from flea and tick medication is rare but there will always be a risk involved.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Seems like most vets have a preferred heartworm preventive and most people go with their vet's choice.  Our vet feels like Trifexis is offering the best protection, so we've been giving that to him since he came to live with us at the end of February.  The first few months were uneventful, but ever since then, he has thrown it up within 30 or 40 minutes, so we were instructed to give a second dose since it hadn't been at least an hour.  That gets very expensive and alarming. 

I spoke with a different vet that I bring my bunny to for acupuncture and she also highly recommends Trifexis.  The staff person that I spoke with said that it's extremely important to give it to them with a meal, that the fats will help the flea meds gets properly ingested.  I don't know if that's true or not, that's just what I was told.  This month, I gave it to him as he was finishing eating, and he had no problems keeping it down.  He was wiped out afterwards, but I had him playing actively since I needed to watch him for an hour closely.  It seems to work well for fleas and internal parasites.  He won't be tested again for heartworms until January, so I don't have an answer if it works well for him as far as that's concerned until January.

There is a lot of troubling things I read, but it does seem to be true of almost every preventive.  Since this month seemed like no problem, I think it was more user error on my part by not feeding him at the same time.  I'm curious what others are using and if they had any issues with their dogs on the heartworm meds they chose. 
  • My vet also high recommends Trifexis. I use it on Maya, but Heartworm is so rare where I am from ...I think the cases they've seen are in the single digits. But I figure rather safe than sorry.
    Am thinking of switching to Revolution though, I like the idea of the all in one. I think like Steve said, you can look up anything these days and find something wrong with it.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2014
    Trifexis makes the kids feel sick... I think we are going to change back to good old "HeartGuard"... never had any problem with that and our kids don't get fleas or ticks.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • The first two doses and the most recent dose are the only times Rodney hasn't gotten sick.  I'm going to use up what we have left and if he no longer gets sick, then we'll stick with it.  If he does continue, it's just not worth it if he has that sort of reaction to it.  Heart worms are a real threat where we live, so we need prevention year-round.
  • edited October 2014
    We have been using Heartguard + Advantix for Fancy and are using Revolution for Djamila. Both worked good and no side effects noticed (so far).

Revolution is said to prevent ear mites also, but on the other hand fails at some intestinal worms, which makes frequent stool sampling advisable.

Like many others, I think there's really none among those medications that earns the title of being "the good one". To look at the naked truth they are all poisons meant to prevent worse conditions than the ones their side effects are able to cause (death excluded, of course).

Deep in my heart I was kind of glad that Djamila is not on Trifexis, when I read about it in the news lately.
    But on the other hand I know that everything said above is also true and that it's probably only a matter of time before the next parasite med makes the news.

I do, however, find it a positive effect that those news always spark the discussion again about more strict laws for pet products in general. As no expert in that field, but a pet owner I have to rely on what pharmaceutical companies tell me about pet meds. And I would be very happy when there's less room for playing risks down in their advertising in the future. 
  • We recently started both our BT's on Seresto flea collar.  I am scared of everything now.  I know nothing on these flea collar's.  I had to take Claxxton to the Vet.  We have such a flea infestation, I am struggling with what to use on the yard and in the house.  Claxxton got a steroid injection and is on antibiodics.  Vet gave me a pill for both dogs for three days.  Kills flea's within 10 minutes.  We were told to use table salt in the house.  I tried it and guess what?  It works!  I have to put up with salt on my brand new carpet, but it is the only thing I have found to get rid of the fleas in the house.  I've been reading up on BARF.  Started giving both dogs raw meat alternately with their kibble.  (chicken)  With Buster gone now, I am trying to focus on our two Bullies diet and health.
  • I've gave miss trifexis since 9 weeks old. By a whopper plain MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A FULL STOMACH . and give it to them. Miss has tolerated it well she got bumps WHICH WAS FLEA BITES it takes a few hours to kill new fleas. YEA I READ THAT WHEN I FIRST gave it to her I watched her close. ALL IS GOOD but