Skip to content

How long will a food allergy last? Do I need to take him to the vet?

Rosco got a horrible rash from a food allergy and woke yesterday with welts all over him.  He only had the food one time the night before.  It seems like it is getting worse to me, it was originally all over his stomach and sides but now it is down his legs, and higher on his sides.  We have bathed him and gave him benedryl and of course stopped the food but I am a bit concerned.  Is it normal for this to last a few days or should I bring him to the doc?  

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Any form of skin breakout will take a few days to go away. It's the same with us humans. Actually I wish there was miracle cure that would make a rash go away within 25 hours especially every time I get poison Ivy or chigger bites.  :P

If you're really worried about him taking him to the Vet may help ease your mind and I'm sure your Vet will be happy to prescribe Rosco some medications. However, time will be your best cure. You can take his temperature just to ensure he isn't running a high temperature but I highly doubt he is. I'm confident he's still eating and drinking normally as well and not moping around the house as if he's in pain or serious discomfort.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • You are right @BulliesofNC , he isn't moping around the house, he's still running around like a crazy man chasing balls in the yard and eating like normal.  His ears feel a little warm but I am sure that is from running around the yard more than a fever.  We are going to give him another cool bath in just a little bit and keep an eye on him.   Thank you for your advice. 
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    If you have any medicated shampoo like Chloroxylenol or Etiderm that will help a lot.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • The only stuff I could find had oatmeal in it for soothing so I didn't want to do that just in case it made it worse.  I bathed him again with a mild scent free soap and I have some benadene that I applied to his stomach.  Hoping that helps a bit.   It looks horrible, I am probably way more worried about it than he is, it just looks like it is getting worse which is what concerned me.   It is clear that it was the grain in the recipe but of course now my brain is going over every possible thing thinking that it could be this or that, lol.    Just want his healthy coat looking better and him feeling better.   Poor thing. 
  • So by 10pm he was back to normal, just a few little welts. Not sure if the time was just up for the reaction or if my last bath and benadene did the trick.  He has been snoring (loudly) every since.  I am sure he didn't get such a great nights rest the last couple of nights.  Thank you again for your help talking this mama off the edge from going to the emergency after hours vet, haha 
    :o3
  • Which food(s) did you feed him that you think caused the reaction?
  • I am being super careful from here out with his foods.  He LOVED the meatballs but definitely had an immediate reaction.  I ended up giving them to my brother and sister in law for their dogs and they are loving them too.    I am pretty sure it was the oatmeal or the wheat germ that caused it.  Won't try those again.