Skip to content

Problems with her new puppy brother

Hello! We adopted a four-month-old catahoula leopard curr 3 days ago. I am having issues with thibodaux being overprotective of me. When the puppy approaches me she will run in front of him and sort of herd him away. If he is sitting next to me she will climb in my lap and growl at him. It has gotten to the point where when I call him he automatically looks at her and cowers away and won't come. She doesn't do this with my boyfriend who lives with us and he has been in the picture since she was 5-months-old. My guess is she feels that she owns me and is dominant over me. She listens to him better and he is definitely the boss with her. I don't know what to do!? Any ideas? If I'm not in the picture they get along just fine :/
image.jpg
1280 x 960 - 366K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2014
    Well that should be totally expected. You are hers and she is feeling very threatened that she is going to lose your love to someone else... (Don't you wish your boyfriend felt that strongly?.... kidding, I am sure he does, he just doesn't growl).... So she needs to be reassured and at the same time gently admonished..... the other kid has got to get some too.  It will take time and be gradual, but, if you keep the reaction and response consistent it'll go away (maybe not TOTALLY) in about 3 weeks.... you got to get them to cuddle with you together so Thibby doesn't feel she loses out on anything ...
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Jealousy can often be a problem with Bull Terriers. Sometimes people make the bonding worse when trying to be a referee. Be firm with your Bullie so she knows YOU"RE not going to accept negative behavior from her towards the new puppy. Give her time to adjust to the new family member and don't rush it.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks so much Phil! I'll keep you updated. She hasn't lunged at him or been terribly aggressive so I'm hoping she adjusts.