:(( :((
Mike Ear Tapping 2.jpg
1032 x 581 - 316K
Mike Ear Tapping.jpg
291 x 516 - 120K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2014
    Wellllll! Can you say Excellent!!! Lovely looking dog (have we seen him before?), Great taping job! and fantastic living conditions.  You have to tell us more about that custom "Villa-on-the-Park", what a set up! We need plans, details and instructions. Is it A/C'd?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Wellllll! Can you say Excellent!!! Lovely looking dog (have we seen him before?), Great taping job! and fantastic living conditions.  You have to tell us more about that custom "Villa-on-the-Park", what a set up! We need plans, details and instructions. Is it A/C'd?

• I have been tapping my 6 months old boy for a few times.
    But it will only be up for few minutes. I start noticed hair loss on his ear.
    Can anyone help?

• His dog house. Designed by me.

:D
    Mike 2.jpg
    794 x 447 - 201K
    Mike 3.jpg
    399 x 709 - 175K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's a good looking dog house. Great job on the build!

If your Bull Terrier is 6 months old and you've only taped the ears a few times you haven't done it near enough as it's needed.

Some Bull Terriers require several attempts of training with constant supplements of Knox Gelatin in order to train the ears to stand. Unfortunately, the older the puppy gets the harder it is to get the ears to stand because not only are you having to deal with an older puppy who has more determination and energy to fight to remove the tape from his ears but you're also having to deal with the fact that the cartilage in his ears are getting harder and forming in the down position vice up and erect.

At 6 months old the only way you are going to train his ears to stand is by taping them and being adamant about it. He's going to want to scratch that tape off every second he gets too especially if he's bored outside by himself enjoying his fancy dog house. With this said, I would suggest you buy a head cone for him while you're taping and training his ears. This will prevent him from scratching at it causing the tape to rip out his hair and mess up the alignment and mold of the tape.

You may very well lose a little bit of hair from pulling the tape on and off every couple days to check on progress, clean his ears, and allow them to breath a little but the hair will always grow back. Without taping you will most end up with floppy ears permanently.

I know most breeders will say "Don't worry, the ears will go up on their own in due time. There's no need to tape them" and this may be true 90% of the time but for those 10% who end up waiting many months only to find out it's not going to happen it may prove to be disappointing when they're faced with an adult Bull Terrier with floppy ears. By that time your breeders only response will be "Well they should have straightened up by now?"  Too late and too bad. Sometimes it's better to be proactive than in regrets. I tell people if their Bull Terrier puppy's ears are not up at 8 weeks old when they receive him or her go ahead and tape and train them. Why wait? Usually after just a couple days worth of taping the ears will be up and the dog will use it's own muscle strength to keep them up. Plus at an early age they aren't so determined to scratch the tape off.

Don't give up on the taping.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Noted on your advice. Thanks a lot. I will keep taping his ear and be firm about it.

Mike wasn't really irritated or bothered by taping his ear but he didn't like it too.
    I take him for a walk as soon as i finished taping. Let him walk it off and redirect his attention with raw meaty bone/Kong with Ice. 

I will tap him again today and will update the progress.  

[-O<
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2014
    We also had a lot of trouble getting Marco's ear to stand... at one stage we thought they never would.... I am going to find a link to the method we finally used to make it happen.....
    Try this comment: ... (the one that starts "@PaulM")
    http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/comment/6057/#Comment_6057

The other two photos are there, just click on them, their previews are not visible.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Ear Up for 2 hours :)>-

Continue Tapping!

Wait for our good news 
    ;))
  • Up and Down  :))
    Up and Down  :))
    ear up.jpg
    291 x 516 - 80K
    Ear up and down.jpg
    349 x 620 - 104K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It's going to take some time with his ears but don't give up. You will have success in due time and the efforts of taping will be well worth it.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com