Skip to content

Unrefined "virgin" coconut oil.

Do you feed your boxer coconut oil? If so, awesome! If not, you should definitely consider it. Here’s why: The cost is low. The risk is zero. And the potential benefits are enormous.

Five reasons why you should add coconut oil to your dog's diet:

1) It improves overal skin health - It clears up skin conditions such as eczema, contact dermatitis, hot spots and itchy skin. It kills fleas, ticks a...
nd even the dreaded mange, plus coconut oil eliminates dog odor!

2) Weight control - coconut oil can increase your dog’s metabolism which helps your dog maintain a healthy weight.

3) Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections - Its antiviral agents also help dogs recover quickly from kennel cough. Just add a a teaspoon of coconut oil with each feeding.

4) Improves digestion and nutrient absorption, plus it reduces or eliminates bad breath.

5) Promotes normal thyroid function, helps prevent or control diabetes, and relieves arthritis.

Our suggestion is…try it for yourself. Just buy one jar of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. It’s a cheap investment, especially when you consider the potential gains it might have on the quality of your dog’s life.

Content courtesy of: Dogingtonpost.com, Dogsnaturallymagazine.com, healthypets.mercola.com, dogster.com, and NWBR adopters.

Judy Johnson Murray I read about coconut oil in the Whole Dog Journal...Might have been Nov or Dec of last year. I investigated on the Internet and found out all the benefits for humans as well. One suggestion was brushing human's teeth with it as it has antibacterial benefits...I tried brushing the dog's teeth with it and all the tarter was GONE...and I mean ALL of it...and they didn't seem to mind getting their teeth brushed (which was a huge plus for me...I don't do it as often as I should because it is such a battle). Since then, using the coconut oil, they do not mind getting their teeth brushed at all WHOOT!!!! The Whole Dog Journal is not a breed specific magazine, so this works for all breeds.
Jerilyn Gilbert I use it daily. My accupuncturist told me it improves brain function. I use a tablespoon a day. You can put it in a smoothie . I don't know if my brain is up to par, but I no longer shed.
Kim Pierce Yes, coconut oil is amazing for dogs BUT one thing that should be noted in this article is how important it is to make sure the coconut oil fed to dogs be unrefined "virgin" coconut oil. The refined is stripped of nutrients, processed with low quality coconuts and sometimes contains chemicals such as hexane and chlorine. Surprisingly, both types are very close in price
Mad Valentine For those asking how much to give your dogs, but not receiving ANY real answers, I checked out the dogington post. The recommended dose is pretty easy; just give a teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of dog, or you can give a table spoon per 30 pounds. Start with about 1/4 the recommended dosage and build up to the recommended level over 3-4 weeks, as sometimes flu-like symptoms can appear if you hurried it right away.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Good info Diane - Thanks!   :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We give it to Maya and Bear. We rotate the coconut oil with the grizzly oil. We are also experimenting with diatomaceous earth as a preventative for worms and also to control any fleas in the home. Too early to tell if it is effective but there is some good evidence that it is. Not only for dogs, but for humans as well.
  • I've been doing a lot of research on flea's.  The area in Calif. we live has an infestation of flea's due to the lack of rain.  I've been battling them all Summer.  Normal attacks just don't work this year.  (Spectracide for yard, bombing house each room, Frontline for dogs.)  Just can't get rid of them.  Claxxton's been on antibiodics for 2 weeks.  Joel wanted me to get Frontline spray.  I said 'no', because I just put frontline liquid on them recently.  The pet store sold me 'Flea Away'.  A natural Flea, Tick repellent.  Yesterday I bought 'All natural coconut oil'.  I don't want to 'layer' pesticides. 
  • A posting on my FB this am.  A friend wants to know if it is ok to give your EBT a coconut.  Weather to punch a hole in and drain.  There are pro's and con's.  Needless to say, it makes a mess.  It's a toy at first.  Finally BT will crack.  Is the flesh ok for them to eat.  Is the milk ok to drink.  I bought a bottle from Trader Joe's and started them on it.  Our two Bullies drank it up right out of the bowl.  Our Lab, Buster...well lets just say I had to chase him all over the house.  I turn to my friends here.  Is it OK to give your EBT a whole coconut?

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Fleas are getting worse and worse each year everywhere. If your dogs aren't destructive what I recommend is that you pick up a bag of cedar bedding. You can either simply dump some on the bottom of his kennel crate that he sleeps in at night or find yourself a pillow case that has a zipper vice open end. Fill the pillow case up with the cedar chips and let him use it when he sleeps at night and when he lounges during the day. Cedar chips work excellent for repelling fleas, ticks, and all sorts of bugs. If he's sleeping on the cedar chips he will eventually start caring the scent of cedar chips which will become a natural repellant all day and while he's out running around in areas populated with fleas.

During the summer months I bed the bottom of my outside dog houses with cedar chip and keep it fresh on a weekly basis and I have no issues with fleas. My bullies always smell like cedar chips which actually smells fresh and pleasant.

Anyway it's just a helpful suggestion vice relying on meds and other chemicals which often do more harm than good.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I never thought about cedar chips for their crates inside.  Thanks!  :)>-
  • That's a great idea that I'm going to try.  Love that they smell like cedar chips, and it helps repel fleas. 
  •  We are having an issue with our baby having a reaction to flea bites. He is on Trifexis and gets it once a month on time. We have just recently started him on coconut oil topically. My questions are: Can we also sprinkle cedar chips in our yard to help repel the fleas and can you give them coconut oil on their food as well as use it topically? I don't want to give him so much that it will hurt him. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I thank you and Twitch thanks you. :) 
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Hard to get too much coconut oil.
    Our kids have a teaspoon full with their dinner every day.
    Don't know about fleas, we don't have them much in FL
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.