Skip to content

MEAL TIME BEHAVIOR

Goodmorning fellas, so I have and issue I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. My bt (Brunno) has become very agressive when it comes the time for him to eat. Before putting the bowl down I tell him to sit and to give me his paw......and he obeys and looks adorable. Although once he begins eating he spread his legs outward and tucks his tail under his belly, i know this is a sign of agression and protecting his "territory" and when I try to pet him he starts growling and snapping inside the bowl and spills all the food. What can I do about this issue?? 

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Definitely is the signs of food aggression. This takes some time and effort to correct but many have success by spending the time to slowly hand feed them even if it's one nugget of kibble at a time. You need to slow of food consumption down too. Chances are he's eating with a purpose as if it's going to be taken away.
    After a while start just putting a few nuggets of kibble in his bowl and when he quickly eats it pet him gently and start getting him used to knowing you're not going to have any negative impact on the volume of food he's going to be provided to eat and you aren't a threat. In time he will get over the idea that food is something that requires protection and defense. For now I would restrict chew toys and bones too because he's probably getting defensive with those as well.
    Keep us posted on how well he's doing.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @afarfan12, can you think of any reason why he should have begun getting defensive... is he eating/ getting enough? are there any other animals in the house? How's his condition/ behaviour otherwise?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited July 2014
    i have started hand feeding him and he's showing results quickly....at time he gives me a little growl but i just tell him its ok and pet him and that seems to work perfectly....he no longer snaps at me which is great.    @BulliesofNC

@philsergeant he is eating and i believe he is getting enough....i feed him 1 cup of kibbles mixed with a full spoon of wet food with vegetables and a pump and a half of grizzly salmon oil....and he loves it......he is very energetic and plays well with other dogs.....and no he is the only animal in the house.

heres a picture i took of him yesterday :) 
    imageimage
    IMG_3835.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    IMG_3837.JPG
    2448 x 2448 - 2M
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I like the second one... he looks like a naughty little bugger! He just needs to know who's in charge... don't let him give you any poop at all, not for a second, he'll grow out of it then.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.