Skip to content

Self Mutilation or something else

When my 2 year old bull terrier arrived last week, she had a sore on her front leg.  I took her to the vet who believed it was from self mutilation (licking too much).  I purchased a cone and applied EnteDerm Ointment every 12 hours but haven't seen much improvement in the past 4 days.  She may get one or two licks in before I catch her and cone in the day.  If I can't watch her intensely, i cone her.  It's just so raised on the skin.  My previous dog had licking issues and it never raised off the skin, just lost hair and scabbed.  Wondering if I should get a second opinion.  Picture below.  It is hard to the touch and scabbed.
leg.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Looks like an abscess that you may need to get removed.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • thats what I was thinking and didn't want to wait two weeks with medication and cone application if it was something else.  With as bad as it is, I thought vet would recommend removing it.  
  • edited July 2014
    histiocytoma is what I thought.
  • Sorry nut sure why it did that, Histiocytoma is what I thought and are common in bull terriers
  • edited July 2014
    Hope that clears up or is removed soon.  It looks painful.  Does she wince or pull away if the spot is touched?  After googling Histiocytoma, looks like those are benign and painless. 
  • Nope she could care less.  I'm going to call a different vet as soon as they open.  Says they may go away in 3 months on their own but they may also grow quickly.  I'm not going to wait and see.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2014
    Your vet said WHAT?... where did he get his license? from the scratch-off counter.... Sure looks like a tumor to me. Bullies get them quite a bit.... If you know how the Bullie reacts to sutures I'd get it cut off and hope that she doesn't attack the wound that much. Our girl got one on her foot and she didn't lick it much but it grew to be about 3/4 size of a golf ball in less than a week. We were worried about having it cut because she reacts very badly to sutures (have to use stainless), so while we deliberated what to do, suddenly it started shrinking ... today it's totally gone, you can just see a faint outline beneath the fur.. We were blessed, hopefully you could be too.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.