Skip to content

Bull Terrier Heat Cycle

We adopted a 2 year old bull terrier two days ago.  She was flown from WA to SC and is due for her period any day not (I was told).  I was wondering how often she will go into heat and how others handle the blood?  She has several health problems (skin injury from over licking, recovering from being fed improper diet containing grain, and ear infection) so spaying is not going to happen.  We haven't decided if we will spay her or not and I have never experienced a dogs period before.  Saw diapers at the store, but didn't know if others recommended that.  How long do they bleed?  Any help is appreciated.  Here is a pic of my girl Nora.
Nora.jpg
1628 x 3211 - 2M

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Congratulations!  We had a female BT and a female Corgi, and both were spayed.  The vet had very convincing information about the potential of certain forms of cancer in females that were not spayed since we were not planning to breed them.  Has your vet said anything?  I understand you're getting her health back in top form, so surgery won't happen in a day or two.  Look forward to more pictures.

Since the vet wanted to wait for them to go into a cycle before spaying, we tried every diaper and pad that was on the market back then.  They eventually tore off everything or it wouldn't fit properly.  Hoping someone has found something that will work for you that's on the market now. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Every female is different in regard to their heat cycle. Some go into heat every 6 months while others every 8 months. Most will bleed for about one week which also varies on the amount of blood. Usually the first 4 heat cycles are the worst in regard to bleeding, flagging, and sometimes whining.
    I use the diapers on my females during their cycle. They get used to them after a while and stop making efforts to get them off. You'll see your girl deliberately crawling under a table just to scrape her back side off the table in hopes of dropping the diaper enough to wiggle off. After a couple days of supervision they just give up and leave it on.

20140318_222627_resized.jpg
    1632 x 918 - 349K
    20140318_222644_resized.jpg
    1632 x 918 - 361K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We have not taken her to the vet as the previous owner just took her to qualify for flight. She was bred once and this will be her first period since her puppies. We haven't come to a conclusion if we would breed her or not. We have a very close friend who also has a beautiful bull terrier. Both are champion bloodlines with great temperaments. If we do not plan to breed her again, we will spay her. With her health and just arriving to us, we will get through this heat cycle and see how it goes.

Bulliesofnc, did you use disposable or washable diapers?
    They are washable diapers. You can buy some disposable pads that you put inside. They sell them at PetSmart.

You may wish to have your female fully health tested before you decide on breeding especially if she has health issues. I've actually never heard of any rescue agencies or shelters that adopt out Bull Terriers and provide new owners with their AKC registrations papers with full rights to breed. I'm shocked any rescue or shelter would entertain such a thing.

Most that look into breeding start with a breeding pair that have been fully health tested and found to be in perfect health to produce quality puppies. This is after they have concluded that both breeding dogs have excellent temperaments, personalities, and breed standards. Appropriate breeding dogs of this nature aren't usually found from rescues or shelters. Understand that if your female came from a reputable breeder his Bull Terrier would have went back to them vice end up at a shelter in WA. I hope you rethink the decision to breed her.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She did not come from a rescue. She is a champion bloodline from Georgia who my friend had bought as a puppy with full breeding rights. He had some changes in his life and could not continue to keep her. Determining if she would be a good candidate to breed is another reason why we are waiting. The health problems she has now is due to the previous owner feeding her the wrong food this past month quantity vs quality. I will look into the health testing if we decide not to spay her.
    Oh OK sorry. I was under the impression she came to you as a rescue that you adopted.

I think if you get her on the correct diet you'll find it will take care of the skin issues. The feet are commonly the first place to show signs of allergies which is why she's licking them. Here's some good info for you: http://bulliesofnc.com/bull-terrier-nutrition

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Hello exiled. YES A VET AT MY VETS. SHES BREED SPECUFIC STUPID HOUNDED ME TO BREED OR SPAY IF I DID NEITHER SHE SAID IM INCREASING MISS CHANCE OF BREAST CANCER. WE had her once before dad said TO AVOID HER. WELL WE HAD HER AGAIN. AND I FELT RHREATNED. SHE told me. Miss is my dog and to breed or spay AND I TOLD HER I PROMISED THE LADY I BOUGHT HER FROM I WOULD NOT BREED UNTIL SHES 2. AND SHE TOLD ME miss is my dog. And blah blah blah. I WAS ANGRY. Cause I was going to have sperm shipped to the vet and she's like who's gonna unfreeze it. So dad and I said we would do it naturally. IF WE DO IT...... SO IM TORN. MISS IS MY SUPERDOG. AND IF I DONT BREED ILL REGRET IT. ID LOVE A PACK OF BULLIES. my entourage. So that's good I heard that too. I WAS UPSET I CALLED STEVE and told him. If he will I was planning on breeding miss with his dog. Its closer And HE HAS BEAUTIFUL MALES. BUT WHO KNOWS. IM RESEARCHING IT NOW. my dad has had 2 bullies but its been so long ago it was hard to find a breeder so he never had any pups. NOW HE HAS ME THE EXCEPTIONAL DEVOTED DAUGHTER WHO handles all this stuff FOR HIM... SO MY RESEARCH IS ON....
  • Is there a different vet that you'll be more comfortable with?  They can be rather forceful sometimes about choosing, but they see all sorts of people and pets. 

Good luck with your research and hope Miss is doing well.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2014

@jcurtis, ask your vet if they ever bothered watching this
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.