Skip to content

Diarreah

OK, considering both pups have the same issue I am thinking I brought this on myself and wanted to see if giving them a few tablespoons of pumpkin is really a helpful thing in this situation. I changed my pups food about a month ago and pretty much weened them off the old by mixing with the new and little by little lowering the old amount until it was all new food. We did have a little stool issues in this process but it passed and all was well. Until Friday that is. Like an idiot I did not throw out the remaining food in the bottom of the food container, I just dumped the new bag in and on Friday I noticed it was down to the bottom where it was mixed with some of the old. I started to pick through it and then said to myself there isn't much there, no way it would cause an issue. Well, now it started saturday and I immediately threw out the remaining food and got a new bag of the current food. It is now Tuesday and they are getting better but still not normal. My wife read about the pumpkin and tried that and it seems to be working a bit. I thinik I know the answer but could the little bit of old food they ate cause these issues and throw them out of whack like this? Is pumpkin helpful in this situation or is that a myth? I know its not a fun topic but thanks for the advice here. 

Comments

• Glad you brought this up because we are still struggling to find the right food for our BT (same issue you're having).  He's been on TOTW salmon, Merrick duck, Victor grain free, Fromms, and now Acana.  I'm very curious if pumpkin will help.  We were at Whole Foods and someone that worked there said canned pumpkin is one of their top sellers because of people with pets.  We didn't have a dog at that time, but I remember being surprised that so many people used it.  In trying various foods, someone at a pet store suggested "In Clover" a daily digestive aid powder, which we've been putting in both of his feedings per directions.  It helped a little bit, but not enough.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Rice. If you want to stem a sudden bout of the trots. But I want to recommend this stuff, because since we have used it our kids poops have been totally consistent, like a well working soft-serve machine at Dairy Queen.
    http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics-for-pets.html

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Most of the 4 and 5 star foods have Probiotics in them for their digestive system. I'm not sure there's truly a need for additional but if it's been noticeably helping maybe there isn't enough in the food.
    I've noticed on real hot days and when mine consume too much pond water while playing it can often cause loose stool as well. It's odd how certain things can effect one dog while the next has no effects at all regardless if they've eaten the exact same meal.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited June 2014
    That's NC pond water... If they drank FL swamp water they'd be shitting through the eye of a needle at a thousand paces! :))
    Yes it is amazing how much it takes to keep a Bullie in the ZONE. And, seeing as each Bullie has a different zone, it's a lot of hard work....
    Low energy dogs are surely much easier.. You can keep them cooped up in an A/C'd, even sanitized apartment ... and have their appearance like roses....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited June 2014
    I've heard some people say pumpkin doesn't do a damn thing for dogs. I've read it helps constipation, I've read it helps diarrhea. Who knows, really. I have used it before though, and my dog stopped having diarrhea. Whether it was the pumpkin or not, who's to say? exiled, how's your pup doing on Acana? My dog has been on Acana for a long time now and has never been better. :)
  • Ah just laughing out loud at that philsergreant comment!
    I haven't changed Murphy's food once yet, even though I do want to give her some variety. But when I think of those whining in the middle of the night to run outside and explode episodes we've "enjoyed," I stick with what she has tolerated. Here's her one-year-old last week growth comparison.
    Murf one year comparison.JPG
    441 x 326 - 35K
  • Hi Quinnofhearts.  The Acana has been the best-tolerated so far.  He is on the last of the Ranchlands bag, so we went to the pet/feed store and bought a bag of Wild Prairie since they said it had the same fat/protein content and would be interchangeable.   We were adding some canned Merrick's (the ones with names of Grammy's Pot Pie and Star Spangled Supper) and it wasn't agreeing with him until we tried the more traditional canned product of theirs that is 96% grain free.  He loves the tripe and beef the best.  He gets the grizzly oil in the morning and a NuVet Plus vitamin supplement from the link on the Bullies of NC's site in the evening.  We're still adding the "In Clover" powder for each feeding, but I don't know whether to continue with that or not.  I was really curious about the pumpkin to try that instead of the powder.  I did notice that he had MUCH less gas with the powder supplement.  There were a lot of comments in the reviews that said their dog had a reduction in gas, so that's a big part of me buying it.  Ugh, I know.  I've never talked so freely about poop until Rodney got here. 

In the last week or two, he has started with what we think could be demodectic mange on the side of his face.  I initially thought he was scratching his face with his dew claw or something, but it's suddenly rather ugly.  We'll go to the vet, but I'm really surprised he's having this problem surface now.  Even his treats are grain-free.  I think he was eating Acana prior to it, but it's hard to know because I didn't get alarmed when I thought it was just a scratch or a nip from rough playing at the dog park.  I'll take a picture and add it here later tonight.

Sorry for the long response.  We are finding the Acana a great product, too.  If we try another one, it will probably be the Pure Vita after Phil seeing a gorgeous BT on it and the glowing praise at a doggy spa close to me.  Have you switched flavors with your BT?  Are you adding any canned or anything to it?
  • Love the side-by-side to see how Murphy has grown.  What a gorgeous pup!
    Awwwww! Murphy has grown into such a beautiful girl!!   But I think it's time you started giving her some hugs!
  • exiled - glad to hear that he's done well on the Acana. I don't know much about supplements though...might have been so much more help to have had this place around when Quinn was a baby. Definitely a plus to hear about the gas though. I know on some foods Quinn could gag a maggot...luckily we've stopped that issue. Mostly. ;)

Sad to hear about the possible mange. Hope you get it cleared up soon!