Skip to content

how do i control my dog malting

Hi i have a 20 mnth male red english bull terrier . He is absolutly amazing with kids and family since bein a pup. i have him on a raw meat and bone diet with the odd dry biscuits and veg . Im strugglin to keep his malting in control as he is shredding alot even when i have groomed him . Is there anything else i could do to help him a little ?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    There are many things that can cause hair loss and excessive shedding. Here are just a few:
    • Parasites (fleas, lice or mites)
    • Fungal or bacterial infections
      Inhalant or food-related allergies
    • Kidney, liver, thyroid or adrenal disease (including Cushing’s)
    • Pregnancy or lactation
    • Certain medications
    • Self-induced trauma due to licking
    • Cancer
    • Immune disease
    • Sunburn
    • Contact with irritating or caustic substances

If I were to take a guess based off what you've said I'd be leaning more toward an improper diet. There's nothing at all wrong with a diet that's solely based from Raw Meats. However, if you're doing a Raw Meat diet you need to make certain that all elements are covered in order to achieve proper nutritional value that your Bull Terrier needs. Those that choose not to utilize a "well balanced" kibble that provides all necessary nutrients need to ensure their Raw Meat diet consists of the proper elements in order to keep them healthy. Fruits, vegetables, and many other supplements are used by those who feed Raw only diets. You may very well be missing some key ingredients that your EBT isn't getting enough of which is causing some negative effects like you may be seeing with his coat by means of excessive shedding.

Hopefully Kim will chime in this subject and add her input as well since she provides a Raw diet for her Bull Terrier. She may be able to tell you what she uses with her diet to maintain a healthy coat on her Bull Terrier. Omegas are important for a coat as well. Are you providing any supplements with the diet?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com

• Can I ask exactly what you are feeding him? I've been feeding a prey model raw diet for a few months now and haven't had any issues what so ever, in fact, the total opposite, they all have amazing coats since the full switch over. Balance is super important in a raw diet, so you have to make sure you are providing the right balance of meats/bones/organs. Also, how is your weather over there? this year everything seems to be a bit off, at least on my side of the world, so that might be another factor.
  • I feed a raw diet to Stoeger as well. I do give him salmon oil, coconut oil, and a nuvet supplement daily though. He didn't tolerate kibble well at all and threw up a lot, but after we switched to a full raw diet it's been awesome.

Stoeger seems as if he sheds a lot too but his coat is full and it's been very hot in ny lately. But after I brush him he is good for about three days, then I brush again.

Like they said it may just not be balanced properly or maybe he doesn't tolerate an ingredient well.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited June 2014
    The secret is THE INGREDIENT... Finding out what that is... Both our kids are on the same diet, and Marco ( brindle ) has a wonderful thick coat. His sister ( white ) has occasional bumps and spotty hair loss... 70% of the time she is fine! but every now and then has a vicious outbreak... It's hard to track the particular item that sets it off, we are not sure whether it's an intake... Her diet is STRICT , so it could be a leaf or plant.... Or it could be something she rolls in... ( they both love rolling in "stuff" )... But washing her every second day, and coconut oiling her down once a week before bed seem to help a lot.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Same goes for Spud, totally raw. At 1 year and 5 months his immune system got so much better that there's no need for supplements at this point. He's been strictly on chicken, whole wheat pasta and fruits (bananas, apples). Bald spot he had from when he was a puppy is completely grown back and shedding less since. His hair is very thick at this point.

I will likely be adding other meats now. I believe a lot of the hair loss early was due to his immunity but we will have to see with new meat sources.

@Stoges_mom - dogs tend to shed more during warmer seasons so I bet Stoge will be good once it gets cooler.

• Soapskid, yea I'm pretty sure it's the weather. His coat is very thick so I'm thinking it's thinning out for summer. I'm not worried but thought maybe it'd be helpful information.
    I'm hoping it stays thick and beautiful and SOFT! I swear I've beer had a short haired dog as soft as Stoeger!
  • Yea, same happens with Spud and shedding but this time last year when he was a puppy was worse because of his immunity. He had thin hair and a bald spot on his neck but its since gotten better like i mentioned.
  • edited June 2014
    Tonight's dinner for my love nuggets: half duck carcass, green tripe, heart and brains. For Cookie chicken feet, green tripe, heart, kidney and a small amount of brains.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • HI . Yeah hes on raw chicken and organs with veg mixed with meat mix biscuits thru the week. At the weekend i tend to feed him his rice ,boiled eggs with fruit in the mornings . Then his tripe and meat mix biscuits in the afternoon .He also LOVES his water. His coat looks fine strong with its colours soft and no dry skin . after you surgessted about the weather im now thinking that could be this issue .Over here in the uk the weather cant seem to make its mind up or Is there anything im doin slighlty wrong to his diet .

Yours Sincerely 
    Toby & Nate
  • sorry didnt answer last ? No i dodnt put supplements with his food . Anychane of some advice on what to supplements to get him . much appreciated .

When you emphasized that he LOVES his water this too brings on a whole new worry. Hopefully he is not drinking excessive amounts of water and acting as though he is always thirsty. This can often be a sign for kidney disease and, as mentioned in my bulleted list, kidney problems can cause problems with excessive shedding. Again, there are quite a few things that can contribute to hair loss. Yes, weather can be a factor but there are many healthy Bull Terriers that spend all day outside and have no ill effects from it.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Ive got him in the vets for a check up again as he were born with a high heart murmur . so thats why i kind of acted fast and tryed to do as much research as i could . noticing that a raw meat and bone diet was the best and the healthiest for him . He has around 2 to 3 bowls a water a day and easily walked 3 times a day . He seems healthy , full of personality and also still thinks hes a pup . I will mention his malting at the vets but is there any vitamins or minerals i could pick up to help him . He plays a massive part in our family and will do anything to give him the life he deserves .

Most use some form of Omega-3 supplement to maintain a healthy coat. However, if you are providing a diet high in vegetables you may not need to provide any additional Omega in his diet.
    I use a product called Grizzly Oil.

Grizzly Salmon Oil.png
    445 x 550 - 266K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I would defiantly have the vet check his kidneys, a dog on a raw diet actually drinks less water, my dogs barely touch their water throughout the day. They will only take a few sips after heavy exercise. I'm hoping it's just the weather factor for you, it's been a weird year for us as well, hot one day, freezing the next, but it's finally starting to even out, thank god!
  • Spud also doesn't drink much water and when he does it's after too much running around. The one good thing about the raw diet is also the less amount of poop he has, and also the fact it's super solid for each cleanup if necessary.