Skip to content

Florida Rescues

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
There have been a rash of EBT's put up for adoption in Florida recently.  If anyone knows of good families that deserve one of these and are interested, please let me know....
May2014#4.jpg
602 x 447 - 178K
May2014#3.jpg
435 x 600 - 177K
May2014#2.jpg
340 x 338 - 114K
May2014#1.jpg
600 x 277 - 143K
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• Hey! I know of someone in Miami who might be interested. She would be a first time BT owner, so I think it would be best if she was able to find one that was a bit laid back (for a bully, that is) if you can forward me some info, that would be great.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Will do, as soon as I get home.... great!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    edited May 2014
    (Sorry for the delay, our server crashed at the office so the last couple of days have been hell... what did we do b4 compoooooters)
    Magic looks like magic, but seems whoever takes her is going to need to work some magic.
    Betty sounds like she needs a good man (who doesn't... rather, should I say, what woman doesn't)
    Ethel would be my choice but Manolo looks like he has potential if someone prefers a boy.
    I am happy to drive and take a look and give my opinion if someone is really interested.
    14-03-27-00481.jpg
    948 x 443 - 171K
    14-05-25-00066.jpg
    955 x 387 - 135K
    14-04-09-00072.jpg
    955 x 430 - 148K
    14-04-15-00575.jpg
    955 x 396 - 124K
  • I forwarded her the info, I also refered her to Bull Terrier Rescue out there. If I hear back, I'll let you know right away!
  • She is having a hard time deciding on which, and it probably didn't help I threw in a picture of one of Steve's dogs. @BulliesofNC is your male rescue still available? I'll let you know later in the day if she would like for you to do a kennel check on her. It's a bit hard to tell temperament from a post and this would be her first EBT so hoping for one that's well mannered.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Yes, that male Brindle is still available. The female was actually adopted yesterday. I didn't wish to mention it since the people that drove up here to get her were from Eustis, FL and I felt a little guilty after seeing there were other Bull Terriers in need of adoption from Florida.

http://bulliesofnc.com/adultsadoptionrescue

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Sometimes it's hard to get any dog adopted, and I feel just as guilty about showing her yours, but at the same time you are able to get better details on his background and overall temperament vs the temperament of a shelter dog. One of the reasons I told her about your dog was because you would be able to give more accurate feedback, and I think this is super important especially for a first time bull terrier owner. I want everyone's first experience to be as easy as possible.
    Well I appreciate you letting them know about other Bullies that are available Ashlee. No matter where they come from it's always good knowing a Bull Terrier in need of a good home is adopted. The people I met from Florida were an older couple that recently lost their 13 year old Bull Terrier. This will be their 3rd Bull Terrier and every one of them have been rescues. They were very special people who weren't looking for the most perfect "Free" dog that had no issues but were simply looking for a Bull Terrier that needed help and a forever home. They actually got a Bull Terrier that needed nothing but a good home. She was a sweet heart.
    The male is a good Bull Terrier too but he's high energy and needs a home where someone can really allow him to exhaust some energy. He's got a lot of terrier in him but he's all heart. Up to date on all shots, loves kids, house broken, and affectionate. Not trustworthy with other dogs but not one who is eager to start a fight either.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think shes most interested in Manolo, I might have to take your offer up @Philsergeant and ask for a shelter visit if he's still available. The only reason being is you know your stuff and what to look for, even in a stressful shelter environment. @bulliesofnc do you ever help transport your rescues? She didn't ask, it's me that's inquiring, just for future reference.
  • It sure would be good news to hear that Manolo is in a loving home.  How sad to see these BTs up for rescue. 

For what it's worth, my husband said he bonded with our "rescue" on the long car ride.  I don't feel like we rescued him, but instead, it's more like he finally made it to his real, forever home.  My husband continues to talk about how important that car ride home for Rodney was, to talk to him the whole time, the frequent stops, etc.  I sure do hope your friend has the same experience we have.  I love Rodney, and our family is so happy with him in it.  I want the same thing for your friend and one of these beautiful BTs. 
  • Rescues defiantly have a soft spot in my heart. They go through so much, yet they bond to you like no other. They know when they're home and it's like they've always been there. I'm so happy Rodney is doing well! I love reading his updates, he has quite the spoiled life now!
    Another Florida Boy in need of a new home..... He's young, looks in great shape, he's a good looking fellow and he loves Kids and Adults ... Only problem is the current owner has him cooped up in an apartment (go figure) and the neighbours are complaining..... Somebody has to grab this chap.... happy to go and look at him if anyone cares.

Cotto.jpg
    397 x 424 - 69K
    What's going on down there in Florida Phil? Too many rendered Bullies. Won't the breeders take back their own pups and find homes for them? I hate seeing them end up in shelters, pounds, etc.
    I hope he finds a good home. He looks like a friendly Bullie.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    It is too much of a stretch to call the pup-producers in FL, "breeders", that's why I got my babies in NC.  They are in it for money only and the people that buy them have little idea.... The only God-send is that there are relatively few of them .... the ones that do end up in shelters are far too frequently, I shudder to say, put down.  Here's another boy that's currently in a high-kill center that will probably not see the weekend....
    Paco.jpg
    265 x 374 - 50K
  • I'm interested in the Florida Boy that needs to be saved! Can you get me some more info on him?  I hope its not too late to save him.......
    Which one are you interested in and where are you located?
  • edited June 2014
    I'm interested in the one with the spot on his eye and he is on a black leash in the picture. You posted the pic on June 9. We are in NC right outside of Charlotte. We would be interested in helping a male or female
    Phil - It looks like the people from NC go to Florida for Bull Terrier adoption and the people from Florida come to NC for adoption.  :D

@rpmpnpkpzp102004 - I hope things work out perfectly for adopting the Bull Terrier you have your eye on. In the event he is no longer available or has some underlining concern preventing the decision for adoption please feel free to have visit with us. Currently we too have availability for adoptions right here in your neck of the woods.  http://bulliesofnc.com/adultsadoptionrescue

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @BulliesofNC Thank you so much! I looked on your site too and filled out the adoption form after I read everything. I would like some more info on the brindle and white female whenever you have a chance.

We rescued our Bull Terrier from some people in Hickory, NC back in October. And we love him so much! Now we want to add another BT because with 3 kids there is a lot more love to go around :)
  • @philsergeant I went on the rescue me website and I believe his name is Cotto.
    That's the one... I sent you what I have and am waiting to hear from the owner... I am happy to visit him, but, as Steve says, perhaps it would be better if you visit one that's closer to you yourself.... What with another Bullie and kids the choice is going to be important.. You could even take your current Bullie and see how they get along immediately. Let's work both ends and see where the middle is.
    edited June 2014
    Steve... Regarding Florida owners... What can I say... They reckon that too much time in the sun does strange things to brain cells...
  • Sounds good. I understand that another Bullie already in the house may be a problem. I like your idea of you taking one of your Bullies to meet him and see how he does with your Bullie. That will give us a good idea of how he will react around mine.

My Chico is more submissive to other dogs....so that may work in our favor when adding another Bullie...right?
    @rpmpnpkpzp102004 - Having another adult Bull Terrier already comfortably in the home usually does pose a problem when trying to bring in another strange new adult Bull Terrier. Your current EBT may be very submissive around many dogs but you just don't know how he'll act around another Bull Terrier in his own home. Jealousy, dominance, and aggression are common factors to be concerned with. 90% of the time it just doesn't work out trying to bring in a rescue Bull Terrier into the home in hopes booth dogs will happily accept each other and display no dominance or aggression. Usually what happens is both dogs will kind of sniff at each other for a few days and show signs of curiosity while at the same time feel the need to receive a lot attention from you. Within a few days dominance behavior will occur no matter male or female. Regardless which dog instigates it neither will back down. Once a fight instills it will become extremely hard to train the two to get along in the future. I've seen this many times and due to the high probability of the two dogs not getting along we do not accept adoptions to homes where another dog or cat resides. I hope you understand that we try our best to find forever homes for our Bull Terriers we are fostering and don't wish to bounce them from home to home crossing our fingers that things will be successful. We try and ensure the probability for success is maximised as much as possible and the last thing I'd wish to do is put you or your family at risk of having to break up a fight between two adult Bull Terriers knowing the chances of them getting along are very slim. I know the two EBT's I have will not tolerate any dog that was to display the smallest bit of dominance.
    You may be able to find an alternate breed of adult dog to use as a playmate but I wouldn't recommend another Bull Terrier especially one that has been rendered by an owner that either had no full commitment to raise and train the dog or worn thin on trying to curve the dogs negative behavior problems which may very well include aggression or hyperness. Make no mistake about it, if the Bull Terriers in need of rescue were house broken, got along well with other dogs, healthy, No OCD habits, easily managed, well trained, calm,  and docile the original owners would have friends, neighbors, and relatives lined up to claim the pure bred Bull Terrier for themselves. With every rescue dog comes some history and it's very rare to hear about someone that paid a lot of money for a Bull Terrier, Provided time and attention to train it, found themselves in a predicament where they couldn't have the Bull Terrier, nobody they knew wanted the well manner EBT, and they were forced to render the dog to a shelter or foster home.  Keep this in mind while you pursue your research for adopting an adult Bull Terrier.
    I'm not trying to persuade you from rescuing a Bull Terrier because truly I would love to find loving homes for the two I have available but unlike some shelters I'm not going to lie to you either. I wish you luck in your pursuit for a EBT. Please keep us posted on your success.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • so should I look into getting a BT puupy?
    That would be my recommendation.

By all means make every effort you can to find a EBT available for rescue that has no dominance issues or aggression.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited June 2014
    Glad to see that your rescues don't go into homes with other animals.  The rescue we got from you and Craig is probably as perfect as any rescue could ever be, but he still has plenty of issues we're working on with him.  Knowing this dog now like the back of my hands because I've spent so much time with him and dedicated every day exclusively to him in the 3 months we've had him, I shudder to think what it would have been like if he had come into a home with an adult BT--rescue or not, it would have been horrible for him. 

rpmpnpkpzp102004 Please don't bring another adult rescue BT into your home.  Even though I'm on a waitlist and so anxious for my BT puppy, I know I still have work to do with my adult rescue.  Even though I'm home all day and take him to the dog park, doggy day care, grooming, and exercising close to 4 hours a day, he still requires constant, consistent training.  In only a few more months, I am extremely confident he'll be ready for a new puppy in the home, but I'll never bring an adult of any breed into our home.
    @exiled I understand your caution, really do... but we have had good final results with rescues. Notice I say, "final results", and not "initial experiences".  I wouldn't like to leave anyone with the impression they shouldn't attempt "the impossible". My daughter's first dog (after she left home and got married) was a rescue that I found abandoned, and she took him into her home where her husband already had a rescue living.  The first few weeks were not pretty, in fact some months later they still had the occasional bout that ended in blood, and a vet visit for sutures. But, thereafter, for 12 years Boz and Shadow were inseparable pals, until Shadow passed last year. Three months ago I found yet another rescue lost in our neighborhood and his introduction into Boz's life (with my daughter yet again) has only been a little easier since he is a lot older, but still initially intolerant  to the new comer.  They steer away from each other for the most part, and we fear that Boz will leave us before he establishes the bond he had with Shadow.  But, at the end of the day, (unlike people), dogs just want to get along and find a peaceful existence.... Most of the initial BS is just positioning ..... Not in all cases mind you, but the seemingly impossible is often, possible.
    Phil - For the most part I agree with you. However, these dogs you rescued, which I imagine were abandoned, weren't Bull Terriers were they?  I couldn't imagine that you came across two Bull Terriers wandering around abandoned by their owner. Anyhow, I'm confident with many other breeds the aspect of bringing in an adult into the household with another dog is surely possible. My point I was trying to get across is that the possibilities of bringing in an adult Bull Terrier to home with another Bull Terrier usually has little success. Two EBT's engaged in a fight is not a pretty site and a tough one to separate once those eyes gaze over and no command from their owner to stop is even heard.

I too don't wish to distract anyone from making the efforts to rescue a Bull Terrier regardless if they have another dog or not. However, speaking from my experience I have with EBT rescues I'm well aware of the concerns. I always prefer to provide people with the factual probability of two adults not getting along than I am to encourage them into taking the risks.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @philsergeant, It is encouraging to know about the deep bond that Boz and Shadow shared in your daughter's home.  I'm hoping that Boz will also build a strong bond with the new rescue.  I was probably wrong to discourage someone from rescuing another adult BT, but only did so because of my fresh and ongoing experiences with a BT rescue.  Rodney has stolen my heart, and personally, I don't think I could ever bring another adult rescue BT into our home.  If someone feels like it will work, then I sincerely wish that it works out like Boz and Shadow. 

No, as I said, I agree, it's a tough road, not for everyone... I just didn't want any readers to get the idea that you can't rescue more than one dog.... I have a neighbor who has 11!! rescue dogs, (and 4 rescue horses)... but Steve is right, with EBT's you need be particularly careful (hopeful).

This is my daughter's latest rescue boy.... (Still a little skinny from being in the wild, but looking a lot better seeing as he had Heart Worm, Hook Worm, a million gnat bites and was so traumatized he wouldn't come near humans)
    Scout4.JPG
    1652 x 1193 - 813K
    My hat is off to your daughter for having the heart and dedication to rescue that beautiful dog. She probably saved his life.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Reading about Boz and Shadow made me teary-eyed.  If your daughter hadn't at least tried, or had given up at the first meeting of her dogs, both of those dogs would have missed out on a true companion.  It was very generous to open up and tell me about their story, and I do appreciate it.  I agree that it is wrong for me to, in any way, discourage someone for offering two or more dogs in need of a forever home their chances for a happy life.  Buuuuut, reading about an adult rescue BT that's been in a home for less than a year with three kids, I'm worried about bringing in another adult rescue BT and wanted to speak up.  I applaud anyone that is willing to save the life of a furry friend.  I just want it to be a positive situation for the dogs and the people in the home. 

My experience with my first BT, which I got at 8 weeks and she lived a long, natural life, helped me tremendously with Rodney.  That's more than a decade of experience, but it's still constant and consistent dedication and work bringing a rescue BT into our home.  These dogs are unlike any other I've encountered.  I love them all, and want each and every single one to be the king or queen of their castle. 

• Awww, love the picture of her new boy!  He looks so proud with his head held high despite his past.  May your daughter be blessed for giving a wonderful home and life to her rescues.  She's an inspiration.
    Learned something interesting from this experience.... After Scout (that's the new boy) got to accept my daughter, and finally Boz and he learning initially to stay out of each others' way... she started introducing him slowly to new places/ people/ dogs..... And he didn't do well with people .. dogs not too bad. When my daughter was scheduled to go up north for Father (in-laws) Day she called in her dog sitter of 10 years and Scout did very badly with her. She was concerned shed need cancel the trip so she brought him to our house where he fit right in to home/ people AND our dogs ... They say that a dog never forgets the first place of their rescue... I am starting to believe that's true.
    I think that the particular dog is just smart and knows who to trust right from the start. Some dogs have a good sense about people. I'm sure he loves you because he knew you were a dog person and he was in good hands.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited June 2014
    Ha! I'd love to believe I was that special Steve... But that doesn't account for the dog watcher, who is a pro and a dog lover.... and Scout cowered, growled and ran... despite frequent attempts. So there must be something to be said about them remembering the place they were first made safe.
    At the end of the day, he is a wonderful animal... nearly as special as an EBT, he has such loving and communicating needs and expressions... he is somewhat like a cat, slides/rubs up against you to communicate affection.
    I think my daughter needed him as much as he needed a forever home.
    Scout.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    This looks like a quality rescue up for grabs... young, well tempered, good with kids (all apparently)... but if anyone wants to investigate further?
    Luna.jpg
    453 x 625 - 295K
    Luna.jpg 294.7K
    A wooden kennel with chicken wire?
    I can't believe that Bullie hasn't busted out of that chicken coop in under 1 minute.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    When mine were puppies they would barge into my pool enclosure
    screening, just because they were boisterous and "out of control", and
    rip it in places..... now that they are grown they don't futz with it
    any longer, (which is good, because I was getting tired of replacing
    panels). Our previous Bullie (God rest her blessed heart) would dive at
    the corner of a panel whenever she saw a squirrel or raccoon outside. 
    But typically they find it an optical barrier, rather than a physical
    one. For those not familiar with flimsy (mosquito netting) pool
    enclosures in FL... I attach a photo....
    BUT, where are all the desperate Bullie WANTERS, that could pick up this beautiful little girl!!!!  ?????
    crapola.jpg
    667 x 500 - 106K
    Containment with the presence of their owner is totally different than containing a Bullie that wants to be with their owner.
    My female Kolohe will bite through a chain link fence in under 5 minutes if she were to be confined and come scratching at the back door to be let in. When we had her spayed years ago the Vet was very upset about what she did to the metal bars of his expensive kennels soon after she came out of sedation.
    Ya, that chicken wire is as good as spaghetti noodles.  :))

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Is Kolohe your BT that opens the child gate?  That video is hilarious.  I love your daughter's laughing and Kolohe is like the Kool-Aid man bursting through a brick wall saying, "Oh YEAHHHH!"
  • There's a guy here that has a rescue that he says is a mini, but it really looks like a very small standard.  I've seen mini BTs and his looks much bigger than that.  He is looking for another mini, but if it's a small standard, I bet he'd be interested if anyone comes across one close to New Orleans that needs a good home.
    Yes, that's Kolohe. That video is actually years old. I wish Kolohe was that young again!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    I bumped into this lovely little rescue today.  The lady that rescued her said she had hardly any hair below the knees, or on her head or on her tail AT ALL.  Goes to show what hard work and dedication can do... She still shows some lonely signs in her eyes, but the old gal that rescued her totally loves her to death.... (So did Marco until I told him she'd been fixed).
    imageimage
    IMG_1764.jpg
    2448 x 2448 - 3M
    IMG_1769.jpg
    2448 x 2448 - 1M
  • Awe she's beautiful how old is she phil and do u know why she was a rescue.
  • OMG I have just looked at this link Alexa how heart breaking I hope someone can help this poor fella soon real soon .how do people allow there dogs to get in this straight I think it's obvious he has a bad immune system that could be helped by coconut oil rubbed in its so cheap to buy and has great effect for skin wish I could give him a big hug .