Skip to content

Rash on belly and sores in between toes

2»

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited June 2014
    Chris, from the photos we believe it doesn't look like demodectic mange. The balding and irritation is all congregating in the areas of the body where the most heat or warmth is located. The skin looks real dry too. Honestly due to the age of the dog (9?) there's no question her immune system is not going to be as strong as it's been in her youth. With this being said she is going to be more prone to certain ailments. You could always have a scraping  and have it analyzed. However, that would only show the presence of parasites like mange mites which we really don't feel are the cause; unless her immune system can no longer fight off the possible effects of mites like any healthy dog would. These type of ailments are often very hard to isolate the true cause, and it's even harder for one of us to assume we have the underlining answer. It could very well be that this particular Bull Terrier has lost the ability to fight normal skin ailments due to her age, genetics, and health. The only thing a Vet would do is prescribe her common prescription drugs with the hope they'd minimize the problem with her skin and coat. We'd advise you to keep her as stress free as possible, keep her out of the heat, provided her omegas ( Grizzly oil for example) to help build natural oils in her skin pores, bump up her exercise routine, and maintain a healthy diet. I'd also make sure she has a good bath every fortnight or 4 weeks at the longest spacing ... And be sure she's dry afterward and at all times. Use a mild shampoo, slightly medicated... ( we use Baby Bathtime plus a few drops of tea tree oil plus olive oil as a mix).... Tough work ...older dogs, we know, our last lost love was 14... And the last 2 years were heartbreaking.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • thank you my friend........I have ordered some evening primrose oil and Dorwest Herbs kEEPERS MIX supplement mix (These are a U.K. product)....she has gone as lazy as hell to be honest with you so I need to get her to do much more walking, although she dont seem to be overweight?......I am thinkin that I have also been using an antiseptic spray called Leucillin which after reading the label again I can see its a debrider.....could this be causing the hair loss????? 
  • edited June 2014
    Hello to all, 
    I think regarding treatment of allergies almost anything that can be said has been said here already.
    So there is only one addition from me:
    Besides nutritional factors, genetics and other culprits, I strongly suspect pesticides to be blamed for allergies and skin rashes.

When we moved to Florida, Fancy loved to “surf” through the grass in our yard and it was a long “on-off” story trying to find out, if this was contributing to her severe allergy problems. We actually never knew for sure until she passed away.
    Then we got Djamila, and we first also let her on the grass in the yard until I noticed red spots developing on her feet. All alarms went off and I immediately ceased to let her walk and play on the grass.
    We have other lawns in the aera, wild and untreated meadow. This doesn’t do a thing! The bumps disappeared and never came back since I keep her off the grass in our yard.

As we are renting, sadly we do not have much influence on the pest control around the house. But we know there IS pest control frequently spraying the grass in our yard. It is necessary in Florida, although I probably would try to get along without it, if it were my house and yard, because of the dog.

Anyway, I think for a young and not already completely developed immune system OR an already impaired immune system of an older dog this can definitely be a factor making matters worse.
    So, if you watch this kind of problems occurring right after you have recently moved to a new area or the services around your house have changed or you are even spraying pesticides yourself - this is something worth to consider, especially when the allergies show on feet, toes and belly.
  • Hello my friends

I have copied below the advice I have had off Bull terrier breeders in the u.k.....what do you think?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Has your vet tested for Demodex? It looks like it could be the start of it?  If so, you need to wash her in Aludex.

Other than that, if it is a yeast infection (although that normally starts in the ears), I would try supplementing her diet with a couple of tablespoons full of plain yoghourt per day.

Gary & Andrea

UKUSA BULL TERRIERS
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Chris,

Demodectic Mange comes from mites which is honestly found on almost every dog. However, most all dogs have the natural ability to fend off any negative affects of these mites. However, if a dog is unhealthy or their immune system doesn't have the strength to counter the effects of the mites the dog will suffer the negative effects of mange.
    Your Vet can easily do a scraping of her skin and look under a microscope for the presence of mange mites. In the event it is mange mites your vet will most likely provide you with a special type of bathing solution specifically for mange or they may do the mange bathing for you because it has to be done with gloves and a conducted a certain way.
    But right now we're still guessing at the underlining problem. Even it were to be mange the real cure isn't the mange bath which would kill the mites and still leave your Bullie with a weak immune system that is obviously having problems naturally defending itself from elements in which she shouldn't be effected.
    Regardless what's causing the problem I firmly believe that your 10 year Bull Terrier may be losing her ability to fend off ailments just like me or you would if we were 70+ years old.
    You may get multiple opinions from breeders, EBT owners, Vets, etc that "think" they know what's causing the problem and you may feel the need to focus your attention on mange, yeast, hot spots, food allergies, chemicals, heat, grass and pollen, etc but sooner or later you'll realize that regardless what the element was that is caused the skin problem it may not have surfaced if she had the natural capability to fend off any negative effects mites, mild chemicals, heat, grass and pollen, food ingredients, and other things that usually have no ill effect on a young healthy dog.
    Going back to my original response I would still focus my energy on these recommendations:

Please understand that once a dog is in discomfort, pain, stressed, or just sick their immune system will drop even further making matters worse. All the changes in her everyday lifestyle while you're experimenting with different foods, baths, etc may in fact be working against her. I'd be trying my best to keep her comfortable and happy while concentrating my efforts on getting her immune system stronger. Sadly the average lifespan of a Bull Terrier is 10 years old. At her current age (of almost 10) the strength of her immune system will have a big play within the health and longevity of her life while she's in her elder stages. There are plenty of Bull Terriers that will remain healthy and active into the ages of 14 and possibly 15 but there are also many at 8, 9, or 10 that end up with ailments that ended their life prematurely.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • hello my friends

Billis rash on her stomach has healed up very well.......I have her on a grain free diet, use coconut oil in her food, use evening primrose oil, and have used Nu Stock sulphur cream......her feet howether are still not great with her furuncles and they are worse after a walk.....will they go away???
    Chris,

You're doing everything you should in regard to combating the skin problem. Obviously each Bull Terrier is going to vary in regard to how much they are effected to skin allergies and other problems. Often genetics plays a big part as well. Heck, I can use myself as an example simply because I can't even stay out under the sun for more than 10 minutes without my skin getting burnt. Most everyone else has no problem and shows no sign of being effected. I wish I could same the same for myself and other than putting sun block all over me there's little else I can do in order to prevent my skin from being affected. I've concluded with me it's simply genetics and there's not much I can do about it other than avoiding the things that cause ill effect on my skin like the sun. 
    I only mention this because there may not be any miracle cure for your Bull Terrier to rid her from any sign of a skin problem. Some Bull Terriers were born with genetics that are inevitable for having allergies and sensitivities far greater than other Bull Terriers.
    Your going to have to study her for a while,as the owner, and try your best to figure out what is working and what isn't. Every dog is different and what affects one dog may not for another. You're on the right track with providing her things that will help. The question is, "is she curable or does she require constant attention in order to minimize skin problems?" Chances are, you will have to remain vigilant in your efforts and you may never see 100% perfection on her feet.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We were afraid he had demodectic mange since he had bumps that turned into red sore spots, plus balding in patches on the sides of his face.  The vet was positive it wasn't mange, but he suspects it's allergies.  He's going to the groomer more frequently and taking hydroxyzine for allergies.  When I ordered more of the NuVet supplement, the lady I spoke with recommended that we double up on the NuVet Plus for 45 days (the bottle is a 90-day supply), then they will return to the 90-day auto ship.  I think the plan is working.  So far, the fur is all grown back in a relatively short period of time, and the scratching is minimal.  We don't see him licking, thank goodness.  His coat is very thin due to the heat and humidity, but there aren't any bald spots or sores.  He's on Acana grain free (have some PureVita grain free that we'll try), grizzly oil, the NuVet Plus, and some grain-free Merrick 96 % meat canned. 

I am still seeing the rashy spots on his chest and tummy, though.  He drops and does a chest crawl all of the time when we're walking, so I'm wondering if it's an issue from stuff sprayed on lawns, or just grass allergy? 
  • Out of curiosity, what does the coconut oil help with?  We have a jar of some organic coconut oil that my husband uses for cooking, but I don't know how much to give a dog, or even if we should add it.  Does it help with the skin, coat, and/or nails?
  • Well, we left the groomers with a new flavor of Acana--Pacifica.  We were talking about the spots on his cheeks and they thought the Orijen Six-Fish or Acana Pacifica would help from what they've seen with other white dogs.  They think potatoes cause skin problems for white dogs.  We started off with Acana Ranchland, and currently feeding him Acana Wild Prairie.  Wondering if anyone has tried the Orijen Six-Fish or Acana Pacifica, and if so, any improvement with skin issues.
  • Hello again friends

The rash on Billies stomach is getting better and her hair is starting to grow back

Her Furuncles are a major issue though....big boils with blood in them....please any advice!!!!

chris
    Are we still talking about the ones between her toes/ on her feet... I tried to read back a bit... are you doing the wash/flush? what are you using? and did she get some help from an antibiotic?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I think my response disappeared with the forum glitch.

@exiled, coconut oil is a natural anti-fungal supplement. I have been giving it to Quinn ever since she was diagnosed with yeast infection the first time. She recently went off of it cause we finished her jar, and those few weeks I had her off her feet and skin started to flare up. I'm in the process of retreating her with anti-biotic/anti-fungal wipes + coconut oil. She is sooo much better on coconut oil. You should buy (if you don't already have) unrefined virgin coconut oil. I give her one spoonful a day right off the spoon, but you can put it in food or right on the skin. Coconut oil helps skin, hair, and toenails. Quinn used to have the brown pretty bad on her nails but it's nearly gone now.

Quinn bounces back and forth between all Acana grain-free varieties. She is on Acana Pacifica right now and the only thing I really notice is that her farts are stinkier... fish has always made her a bit stinky. That's why I've never considered any kind of fish oil for her.

@nikelow, I'm not sure what else to suggest if you have been continuing with the salt soaks. Has Billie seen a vet for these? May need something stronger...?
  • i took her to the vet but he only prescribed a steroid tablet to stop her itching???? he would not give me the fluconazole for some reason as he does not really know what he  is on about i think

the infection on her stomach is better but the boild between a few of her toes are still there and are worse after walking...i do the epsom bath salts every 2 days, although i still do not know if i am putting enough in a bowl?

when i put the coconut oil in her food she leaves her food and i have to force it down her mouth...she does not like it and she is not that fussed on the grizzly fish oil i have tried also

any ideas agin please....her toes are my main concern with the furuncles...she has about 5 of them spaced on the feet in total

Epsom Salts & Coconut oil are not going to cut it. You need to bring all forces to bear. Insist on antibiotic from the vet. Or find a different one that'll help (they are 85% useless). These preps may not be available over there, but I attach a few... essentially they are shampoos made of Benzoyl Peroxide, the other, Ethyl Lactate and a topical cream called Elimiderm which is a combination of various natural substances.  I'd wash his feet with one of the shampoos EVERY day, alternating, and apply the cream at nights, or, if he tries to lick it off, for "TV time" or when you can watch him.  Also do everything possible to reduce his yeast levels.

BenzoylPlus.jpg
    155 x 404 - 35K
    Etiderm.jpg
    119 x 362 - 34K
    Elimiderm.jpg
    524 x 180 - 39K
  • thankyou my friend...what antibiotic do you recommend i ask the vet for

• i can only get the etiderm shampoo over here in the UK....
    edited July 2014
    Cefpodoxime  (  http://putneyvet.com/products/cefpodoxime  ) 200mg, once a day if you can get it. ( I'm not authorized to prescribe diddly squat, but vets only prescribe that you write big checks)
    Look for a Benzoyl Peroxide Shampoo for humans, I'm sure they have to have one.

• thanks again....will ask the vet but he is useless....he loves to prescribe the steroid tablets for some reason???
    Be careful about using the shampoos with Steroids because just like other medications your dog could built up a tolerance for them and in due time they'll become noneffective. Personally I wouldn't recommend the shampoos with Benzoyl Peroxide because they really dry out the skin. Usually the shampoos with the Benzoyl Peroxide are used to treat Demadectic mange because the Benzoyle Peroxide can break through the heavy oil deposits and get deep into the fur folicles in order to kill the mange mites. This is a good way to treat mange but caution should be taken when treating the effects of allergies. The redness and bald spots are often already dry enough and with shampoos that will dry the skin even more it may not be wise.
    Here's a shampoo made by Anmpharm that I recommend you trying. Ask your Vet about it. There are others shampoos made by Anmpharm but this specific one does not have thee steroids or Benzoyl Peroxide in it and people swear by it. My Vet introduced me to it a while back and said it works great for all types of fungus infections and skin problems.

Anmpharm.jpg
    551 x 980 - 162K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    To clarify, I also wouldn't recommend Benzoyl Peroxide for all over shampooing and regular use... It's for deep pyodermas (pus in the epidermis), That's why recommended it for his feet. Chlorhexidine (the one Steve recommends) should be left on the feet for 10 minutes, and in that time you must make sure he doesn't lick and absolutely sure he doesn't rub any of it near his eyes. Very bad on eyes.  Etiderm is good stuff, but more for superficial pyodermas, (folliculitis etc.)

P.S. ALL medicated shampoos should be kept away from eyes, mouth, "other" openings.
  • edited November 2014
    Hello again my friends

Can anyone give me some advice regarding the blood in my bull terriers urine? She is due to come into season but this is the first time (she is now over 10 years old) that I have noticed so much blood and its really red....I would go as far as saying there is more blood than urine....she is eating ok, drinking plenty of water, looks ok etc but its a bit of a worry....she is also going to the toilet quite a lot and only a few drops of blood/urine are coming out....any ideas please

chris
    She needs to get looked at and tested by a Veterinarian. She could have some serious medical problems. Drinking excessive water is often a sign of kidney failure and so is blood in the urine. Please have her looked at to ensure her kidney and other organs are healthy. Your Vet can do proper tests. I'm worried that it may be her kidneys.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • she is not drinking excess water and is due to come into season....
    @nikelow - It would be a guessing game even for a Veterinarian. She would need to be tested in order to determine if there is a health concern. Any female coming into season should NOT have excessive blood in their urine. You shouldn't even be able to tell there's blood in her urine while coming into heat.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com