Skip to content

Neutering age

Just wanted to get some opinions on neutering our pup. He is about 5 1/2 months and the vet says 6 months is the best time. I want to make sure that it does benefit the health of the dog and what other benefits it may have. We are not breeders so that is not a concern. Thx

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @MiniJax - Most dog owners aren't breeders. However, just because you aren't a breeder does not mean your dog requires surgery to remove his sex organs. May I ask why you have decided to neuter him?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I haven't decided yet and wanted to make sure I get the correct info before making a decision. My vet told me it would benefit his health and would make him less likely to get cancer and she said it was good for his "future" temperment as he wouldn't be all hot and bothered with pent up hormones. We never had our St.Bernard neutered and it has never been an issue but Jax has way more energy and is certainly more of a "cautious" dog at this age and if it is something that really does help the health and temperment then I will consider it. What are your thoughts?
  • edited May 2014
    Don't know what happened to my first comment, so here it go again!

Desexing a dog doesn't get rid of the sexual hormones, instead what happens is that the other glands have to make up for lost production, resulting in a greater chance of health issues down the line. Yes, neutering will prevent a litter, but it also creates overworked glands because a dog, just like us, need those sex glands to produce to help keep everything balanced. Desexing also does not change a dogs behavior, people can say that as much as they want, including vets, but there is absolutely no proof providing so. The main reason for desexing is to prevent unwanted litters, if you are going to be a responsible pet owner, then there is no reason too, if by chance you are not going to be a responsible owner, yes, by all means get him fixed.

Here's a great article about this. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/09/30/neutering-health-risks.aspx#!
    Boyda - You beat me with the reply and I have nothing much to add. Your reply was spot on.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Boyda's dead on. I neutered Spud at one year because we have many strays in the neighborhood and I can't risk it at all, especially with all the pitbulls in the area. No change in his temperment because that's something the owner can control.

Another reason for my decision is the regritration fees to own a dog are very high in my area to prevent people from irresponsible owners from owning dogs and if neutered/spayed can be waived - which isn't the true decision plus I got the city to covered his neuter fees anyways. I also won't be breeding and will leave that to the responsible breeders and Spud is designated to be a "pet" only dog. If I want another bully I can just ask Steve on possible adoption or those I've spoken to who are having planned litters.

It's up to the owner but I know if I get a female I will not be spaying her.

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    "would make him less likely to get cancer and she said it was good for his "future" temperment",... that's vet code for...." I really doing neuterings because they are really quick and pretty easy, and they greatly assist the fund I am setting up for my kids to go to a really expensive university and also become vets, or doctors, or lawyers, or some other member of the parasite layer"... well, roughly translated.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Some interesting thoughts here. One thing that is clear though is the fact that our french bulldog is a female so something will need to be done to one of them. Other means of sterilization never occurred to me. Will have to look into this more.
    Great you are contemplating all possibilities.... Ideally neither of them would be fixed.. They should be crated when not attended, but that's no guarantee of no "funny business" .... You could always get the Frenchie to promise! :-) We had our girl spayed because we don't intend to breed her, but wished we hadn't needed to do so, but she lives with her ( very randy ) brother.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    I know how it is with a Frenchie in the household. Actually mine is a male and I'm convinced he thinks he's a Bull Terrier because that's all he see's around him. He enjoys hanging out with Deuce and when she came into heat he was a bit upset that she spent every day in a diaper. :((

Needless to say you have to maintain supervision on them regardless. For me it's a little hard to imagine how an "accident" can occur if the owners are actually putting forth proper efforts with caution. In truth, it's not hard at all to prevent accidents. If it were I'd have serious dilemma planning scheduling breedings between chosen partners.

IMAG1186.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 965K
    Bullie Gang 140129 (11).jpg
    600 x 338 - 91K
    Bullie Gang 140129 (18).jpg
    600 x 338 - 34K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • By no means am I (or hopefully anyone else) is trying to pressure you of not neuturing your boy (or spaying your girl) there are pros and cons to both sides. I just think the risks of doing so out weight the risks of not. If by chance you will not be able to keep them separate, it's fully understandable to do so with one. I will admit, having one desexed is going to be easier in the long run, there is no way around it, but not desexing will leave a more well rounded and balanced dog. I will say if you choose to desex one, you should spay your female. A female in heat will still be attractive to a neatured dog, and he will still try to go after her, which can lead to a fight and or the actual tie, although she wouldn't get 'knocked up' it can cause injury if no one is supervising. I have a 10yo pug and he has been fixed since he was a wee pup, when my female goes into heat he is defiantly on edge trying to get her.
    Steve, that Frenchie of yours has totally no idea he is a Frenchie, in fact, I think if you water boarded him, he'd still say he was an EBT.... He's got to be so adoraBULL! Trying so hard to be one of the clan... You should give him honorary membership...and a big kiss !
    edited May 2014
    He's a good dog but listens like a Rock but he's my wife's teddy bear. He's actually the only dog allowed on the couch. I guess you could say it's his safe heaven and something that makes him feel special because I don't take him with me during my daily activities with my Bull Terriers. My wife gets mad when I tell her "Ruger can't hang out with the Pure Breds." That never goes down well with her but I still find it funny. But you're right he honestly thinks he's a Bull Terrier and takes no beef from any of them.

Bullie Gang 140129 (19).jpg
    488 x 600 - 46K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • First of all Steve, stop picking on Samual L. OK!! (lmao) and second.... everybody else already said what is necessary. MiniJax, I read your post and thought myth, myth, myth! Some vets think they can strong arm people!! My personal opinion is if you are not going to breed then fix\spay. We had shephards and our female was fixed. I had no desire for puppies, so $XX.XX later, worry solved. Our male, however, was not fixed. And the funny thing, she humped him more than he did her.
  • My very own personal opinion for most dogs is going to be similar to apollosmama, that if you don't intend to breed, have them spayed/neutered. My female is spayed and she is very well-balanced and seems to have no issues regarding her health, sexual frustration, phantom pregnancies or any other weird stuff. She has never humped anything, before or after the spay. I spayed her at 6 months on the suggestion of my vet, and honestly this may be the only thing I would have changed if I could have another go at raising her. I would have waited longer. And since yours is male, I would encourage you to let him reach a year before the neuter.

And as many conflicting "scientific" articles I have read about positives/negatives about altering dogs, I'm just convinced that no one really knows what they're talking about.
  • One thing I am convinced about is that neutering and spaying is medieval practice. Whether you decide to do so or not is your decision. Desexing a dog at such a young age is analogous to yanking the hormonal organs out of a teenager in the throws of adolescence.

European vets routinely practice tubal ligations and vasectomies to sterilize dogs and cats. @philsergeant is correct. Vets make a huge amount of money on desexing. The second time the vet advised us to have Maya desexed....we changed vets. I made it very clear to the new one that any mention of that would result in a lost client. And that WE would let THEM know if we decide to do so.

This thread has some very good information posted from some very knowledgeable people. Regardless of your decision either way....you are now set to make an informed decision. And that's the best one you can make!
    edited May 2014
    1).  Watch this video if you want to know the truth about spaying and neutering:

2). I can't say I've spent much of my life agreeing with Norwegians, but in Norway it's illegal to neuter a dog... On the basis that humans shouldn't have the right to alter a dog to the benefit of the human, a dog's life should be to the benefit of the dog.   I have a bumper sticker that says "Spay and Neuter Liberals" but in this instance I believe the liberal logic is correct.
  • Thanks again for all the info, I am in no hurry to make any decision. Will definately consider everything.