Skip to content

Mini or Standard

My bully is gona be 10 months in 2 weeks. He weighs about 50lb and measures 17in to the withers. Is he gona be a mini or standard?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Sounds like a Standard Bull Terrier to me based on current size and weight. If you look at his registration papers it will say either breed type as "Bull Terrier" or "Miniature Bull Terrier." However, if it's some other kennel club (within USA) other than AKC it might say Miniature Bull Terrier when it's truly a Standard. Many "Fly By Night" keenel clubs will provide papers for anyone that gives them a few bucks and annotate the breed by whatever you tell them it is. I'm seeing more and more people advertising "Miniature Bull Terriers" puppies for sale that are registered through CKC that are actually small framed Standards with poor qualities.
    There are many Standard Bull Terriers that are in the 40 pound range. What did your breeder say he was?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The akc paper says standard however the mom was 38lb and the dad was about 62lb. My dog  is heavy for his height though compared to minis ive seen.
    The height of a Bull Terrier has nothing to do with them being a Standard or Mini. They are two separate breeds of dogs with different standards. If your AKC registration papers dictate him as a "Bull Terrier" he will always be a standard Bull Terrier despite what his height is.
    There are some Mini Bull Terriers out there that out weigh some small Standard Bull Terriers.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Alright thanks just wanted to make sure heres a pic
    DSC_0206[1].JPG
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    What a happy face on that Red and White Bullie. He looks great!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Glad a thread came up....how do you know if you a mini or standard, I am okay with either, and would prefer a mini. Mine is almost 4months and 19.2 lbs. She is pretty wide at her shoulders and chest, and no idea as to how big or heavy she will get. The mom was pretty small, as was the dad but I am fairly certain they werent fed properly and well taken care off. Thanks!
  • I have no clue all i can say mine at 4 months was like about 22lb
    Again, there are many Standards and Mini's if lined up next to each other that you nor anyone else could possibly tell what's what. Their registration and pedigree papers will dictate what they are.
    I had someone come to my house a couple years ago wanting stud service for her female Standard Bull Terrier. As protocol I always ask to view the pedigree of the bitch in order to research bloodlines and make a decision on whether or not the breeding would be appropriate. This person lives relatively close and wished to come here with her paperwork vice scanning and sending it. Anyway when she arrived with her so called "muscular Bullie with champion bloodlines" I immediately told her I don't breed Mini's. She said she's no Mini just a small standard weighing in UNDER 40 pounds. This female was over 3 years of age and one of the smallest Bull Terriers I've seen. Many Mini BT's  would make this girl look small! I looked at her AKC registration as well as 4 generation pedigree and sure enough she was a Standard Bull Terrier. Bloodlines were unknown since it was apparent her lineage was from all backyard breeders with no known kennel affiliation. Names were all one word call names like mothers name: "Suzie" and Sire's name: "Duke." The owner was disappointed that I wouldn't breed her because her genetics were unknown and I did not wish to breed to any female I feared may have health problems associated with genetic disorders. She understood my intentions for breeding to produce Bull Terriers that would produce puppies for the betterment of the breed but took a little offense in that her tiny Bull Terrier didn't fit the part. It was her bloodlines I worried about and she was way off mark to the proper standards that I felt would be appropriate to breed.
    Anyhow this is an example of a Standard that could have easily been registered through CKC and given the title "Miniature Bull Terrier" and CKC and other small name kennel clubs would have been happy to provide papers that dictate her as a Mini. However, a litter of hers may in fact produce a larger sized puppy that grows up to be 18" and 60 pounds leaving the owner scratching their head wondering how it's possible that their Mini is taller and heavier than what the standards dictate for a Mini. You may not see this happening with an AKC Mini BT but 80% of the Mini's you see advertised on the internet are not AKC which leaves doubt on the validity of true bloodlines.
    If you want to know whether or not you have a Mini or Standard:
    • Your BT should fall into the proper height and weight standard within the breed depicted on their registration papers.
    • Come from a countries parent kennel affiliation (in USA it's AKC) which conducts DNA and ensures bloodlines are proven and authentic.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Many people have asked if my bull terrier is a mini, but she is 18 at the shoulder, where AKC states minis are 10-14 inches. Standards have no standards for size...but it lists 21-22 inches and 50-70 pounds as ideal, neither of which my dog meets. But by her papers, she is a standard. I just like to call her amazing.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Are there any heart size measurements? I'm sure there's no difference between Mini and Standard, but if the AKC knew anything, they'd have a heart size for Bullies that no other breed can match.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Well I am certainly getting the education I came here looking.
    You may think I am stupid, but in my defence I have no experience with KC dogs and worked with Bloodlines rather than pedigrees, however I didnt even know that Minis and Standards were considered seperate Breeds.
    I had assumed that if a Dog was a certain size it was a Mini and if it was bigger it was a Standard.
    Am sure there must be others out there who think the same.
    People who want a Bull Terrier but are unaware of the KC Rules and the realities of the 2 seperate breeds.
    People in that situation are ripe for being ripped off by unscrupulous puppy peddlers.
  • I was visiting a couple who have stepped up their involvement with the Breed recently and now have their own Kennels name officially.
    Their Dogs have a very impressive list of Show Awards and they turned out to be a very nice couple who were happy to put up with all my nosey questions and who talked with a passion for their Bullies.
    Anyway I found it all very interesting and educational.
    They have Whites and Coloured big dogs and coloured Minis.
    The Lady of the house was obviously biased as to her favourite dog which was a coloured Mini.
    He was a Red and White dog and full of life.
    Anyway she said he was 14 inches and 43lb.
    I use the inside of my leg as a rough guide to a dogs height but like a lot of Staffies and Strong Dog mixes this boy would do everything but stand straight and still against my leg.
    My kind of dog.
    Anyway he had a wee bit of extra fat on hm but most of his bulk was heavy muscle and solid bone so I have no doubts about the 43 lbs.
    Despite the invitation I didnt lift him.
    He seemed too attatched to and protective of his Mistress for me to interfere with their relationship.
    But to be honest I would have guessed him at 15 or more at the withers.
    Maybe just my bad judgement though.
    What I found very interesting though was that the Lady told me that in her experience the Minis were more aggressive in attitude with other dogs and animals in general than Standards.
    Her opinion was that this came from the introduction of Jack Russell Terrier blood years ago when the Minis were created.
    I have studied a little bit about the way Hinks created the first of his Dogs and then other pieces, much of it speculation no doubt, about other blood used to create the White modern Dog and then Staffordshire addition to bring round the coloured Bullie.
    But this was the first I have heard about JRT being used for the development of the Mini.
    It is a fascinating breed in so many ways.
    Probably anyone wanting to know about KC Dog Breeds should devote a large portion of their time to this breed alone.