Skip to content

Sores on Nose and Ankles

Hi There,

We adopted an EBT about 3 weeks ago from a rescue, and we are a little concerned about the sores on her nose and ankles. We took her to the vet and he prescribed Hexachlor-K wipes, but it doesn't seem to be helping with the scabs. I also ordered "boo-boo butter" from www.theblissfuldog.com but it left a yellow residue on her coat.

Her are her stats:

2 years old - 37 lbs - vet said she was a healthy, happy pup with allergies (suggested 25mg benedryl twice a day for her grass allergy)

Food: Wellness Grain free - Wild Game flavor

Supplements: Fish oil gel capsule once a day

Treats: Lamb lungs, bully sticks and Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon biscuits

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We love Dutchess and she is blending in well with my partner and I. Extremely relaxed bull terrier who loves to cuddle and sleep. One thing we noticed is that she doesn't like to run or play fetch, she likes to "trot" when we walk. Is that normal? I am a new mom LOL so forgive me if I am being paranoid!

Thank you!

P.S. This site really helped us make the decision to rescue an EBT, and we are so happy we did!

Nose1.jpg
768 x 1024 - 244K
Nose2.jpg
768 x 1024 - 242K
Nose3.jpg
960 x 1280 - 221K
Ankle.jpg
864 x 1152 - 249K
Dutchess.jpg
1536 x 2048 - 664K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Welcome to the Forum!!!

The sores on her nose look more like battle wounds than anything else. Some Bull Terriers use their nose more than others and have a tendency to beat it up a bit.

Your food and nutrition you're providing her is excellent. Looking closely at the photos she does not appear to be suffering from allergies. Those that suffer from allergies usually have red raw feet, bald spots, rashes, red stomachs, etc. Your Bullie looks more as though she's just a energetic one that plays hard and gets a few nicks on her nose.

My advise would be to thoroughly rub some Bag Balm on her snout daily. You'll see positive results in 7 days. I would also add a supplement to her diet to help her immune system. I use a product called NuVet and it works wonders: http://bulliesofnc.com/online-store/supplements-vitamins

Personally, I don't see the need for the Benedryl.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I agree with Steve on the wounds on her nose. Keeping it clean and treated will probably clear that up in time. Though most bullies will have bumps and scrapes on their nose anyway because they stick it where it's not supposed to be!

However, the sores on her ankles look like pressure sores or sores from laying on hard ground. I think with similar treatment for the nose, you will see these go away in time. I'm also a big supporter of coconut oil over fish oil, and coconut oil has great benefits for dogs with sensitive skin. And it smells better. :)
  • For the coconut oil, do I mix it with her food? Is it the human grade coconut oil that is like a thick white paste?
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That's the one, the thicker the better... You rub it on her dry spots.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yes, human grade, get extra virgin organic or whatever crazy words they put on there these days. You can rub it on the skin if you like, definitely easier to work with if it's warmed up just a smidge (like between your hands, don't microwave it.) I give it to my dog on a spoon. She gobbles it up!
  • So I have rubbed the bag balm on her nose for the past week or so, and I am seeing slight improvement but the scaly scab does not want to come off! It almost appears as if her hair has grown through the scab on her nose and is stuck on there like glue. Any advice on how to get the scab off? Attached are updated pictures of her nose. Thank you!
    UpdatedNose.JPG
    1536 x 2370 - 774K
    UpdatedNose1.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 934K
    UpdatedNose2.JPG
    426 x 1234 - 187K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It's going to take some time. Be patient and allow it time to heal naturally. The Bag Balm is great but that abrasion on her nose looks pretty deep and most likely has been cut and opened up time and time again without proper attention and care. Continued cuts on the nose like that can often become calloused without some form of skin conditioner or moisturizer. This is why it's important to continue the use of the Bag Balm which will help heal and soften the skin properly.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com