Skip to content

Trancing?

edited January 2013 in Bull Terrier Character
I have seen videos on YouTube of 'Bull Terrier Trancing'. What do you all know about this? Do all BTs do this? Does it come with age? I have not seen my BTs doing this, but my cousin says that his BT does trance. Just curious. Some of the videos are quite funny.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I've seen it before on videos but I've never had any of my Bull Terriers do it.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Cesar has done it before-not as strongly as many in videos-most people cant recignize it, he will stand still with his head low and just stand there, if you talk to him he will slightly wag his tail and slowly snap out of it.
  • Thank you all for the info. I just thought it was so weird. The dogs in the videos look so sad when they are trancing :(
  • Trancing is because a bull terrier likes the feel of something on their face usually a tree, bush, curtain ect, move real slowly through it while letting something rub on their face. I don't know if its related, but my friends bull terrier used to do this and eventually had epilepsy around 9 years old and having seizures. I have never seen any of my dogs do it though.
  • When i see Cesar do it, i always felt like it was the same way i zone out somtimes, i feel relaxed and just sit and stare for a few minutes at nothing till somthing snaps me out of it. but untill they do tests i suppose no one really knows.

• My 7 year old BT does it with our spider plant and some times with the day lillies in the yard . She started doing it about a year or so ago and we just thought it was another weird personality quirk until I read about trancing a few weeks ago .

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2013
    Our last girl used to do it. When she was younger she used to love standing in my wife's dress closet and feel the bottom of the dresses on the back of her neck. But would only linger a minute or two. When she was older she' d hang out under the house plants, sometimes for a while, and it bothered us as she would get a shake or shiver at the same time. We thought it was perhaps an old age thing. We have 5 month old pups now and he will be distracted from a yard romp to stand motionless under the smaller palm trees for a couple of minutes... ( and its hard to distract him from yard romps with ANYTHING), his sister, who is much more mentally active, doesn't care about his actions or mimic them.... So I guess it doesn't have anything to do with age or genetics.... Be really nice if they'd tell us why, or if some human expert knew.... Anyone know of other breeds that do it?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • We have been blessed with 3 BT's over the last 20 years. All of our dogs have done this strange behavior. Most of the time it happens when we are sitting around the dinning room table. We call it the "jungle dance". We joke that they are communing with their ancestors! Sometimes they have done it while outside on walks. These 3 BT's are not related and were separated by many years. Often friends are amazed with the behavior. We just enjoy it and chalk it up to this noble breed.
    I think if I had a Bull Terrier that tranced I'd respond with "They see dead People" when people asked what they were doing. =))

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Or, " they are freaking out, there must be a liberal in the vicinity" :bz
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Actually that might scare a lot of people unless of course the Bull Terrier was growling.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited May 2013
    My bullie girl has always tranced, in reeds, under any plant or tree . She stays there ages, I thought she liked the dappled effect with sunlight through the leaves, but she does it indoors too. She is a calm, couch potato, doesn't like walking, not bouncy, would be interesting to see if dogs with similar habits had same characteristics. She doesn't fetch ball, but pushes ball to you with her nose. Lovely arnt they!
    How old is she? Our last girl was more bouncy and played catch, tranced some and walked a little... But after 10 she tranced more under plants and trees, was more couch potatoee... She'd catch the ball at the park a couple of times... Then take the ball and head for the car.
  • She is 4 now, she doesn't trance every day, maybe once every couple of weeks. Seems to have started after playing in long grass. Photo under Christmas tree 2012.
    20121225_141352.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
  • My friends bull terrier used to trance when he was younger. As he aged he got epilepsy and started having seizures. Just watch out i don't know if these things are related or not!
    That's so uncanny! Our girl LOVED Christmas trees the best... I'll dig up a picture.