Skip to content

Pet store baby:-(

edited April 2014 in General
So, it was brought to our attention yesterday by our receptionist that there's a bull terrier at our local pet store. I don't go in usually bc when I come out I'm crying like crazy. Any advice on what I can do for this bully bc I can't think that staying in that crate all the time is good..... Even though the receptionist said everyone was there to play with him. I would go in and buy him but then wouldn't they just 'restock' the breed.

I just don't like the situation, ppl go in and buy bc he's a durable instead of searching for a great breeder and worrying about genetics. I'm going to try to go today and see if he has a pedigree available.

Just really seein if anyone knows what I can do to either keep the breed out of pet stores or making sure he actually goes to a great home without a chance of ending up in a shelter because the owner didn't know what to expect :-(

Comments

• This is him!
    image.jpg
    108 x 81 - 4K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Bummer! I am sure someone will buy him. The only thing I can think of is asking the pet store if they will give the purchasers a free gift certificate from us to join this site and get all the help they need with growing him.
    If he is going to be there a while perhaps you could offer to let him have the occasional night sleep over?? poor baby!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Seeing a Bull Terrier at a Pet Store is a rarity and never a good thing. Most of dogs found at Pet Stores come from Puppy Mills that resort to selling their puppies to pet stores for cheap prices without a care in the world where their dogs end up. Most aren't coming from AKC registration either. It is Sad but until people stop buying dogs and cats from Pet Stores we will always see those unhappy faces in cages.
    Often Pet Stores won't tell people who the breeder was until you have purchased the dog. I'd be shocked if they let you know where this Bull Terrier puppy came from.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I realize this, it's just so heartbreaking. In the cages those dogs just spin and spin. That's one reason, Steve, I hve to beg myself not to buy him ad then seeing him there and know I go could provide a great home it's hard. I'm trying to stay away bc if I see him in person it's all over :-(
  • I don't know if this is an option for you, or how you would go about it, but you can try to get a backing to end the sale of puppies in pet stores. In Some parts of California it's illegal to sale puppies/kittens from breeders for profit. This excludes shelter pets of course. I think you can just bring it up to city council. To me it would make more sense for pet stores to support the rescue of animals vs the sale for profit. I also personally wouldn't purchase anything from this store and try to convince my friends to do the same, by shopping there it's helping support the business which isn't ideal. I'm lucky enough to where most of California doesn't put puppies in this situation, at least in the parts I've lived at, so I wish you luck in whatever venture you choose, but I can also see myself wanting to pull that pup out right away and I'd the first one with my checkbook out.
  • Stoges_mom,  I found a young Bullie in a local pet store a couple years ago.  I tried to get Pedigree information but they would only divulge that information once you bought the puppy.  Steve is right these are back yard breeders selling a puppy/puppies for a quick profit of 500-600 and the pet store will sell them for double or triple.  They do not care where the puppy goes and don't sell them with a health guarantee.  There hands are washed of the puppy. 
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • what pet store is this at? that little puppy looks familiar and similar to the brindle puppy that was from the same litter that mine is from.
  • It's called pet zone, tere are a couple locations in NY. He is at the Albany location. I hate it, really I do!
  • Oh dear.  I just went to google it, and the yelp reviews popped up.  Not good.  He's a cutie, and I'm really, really, really hoping someone familiar with the breed buys him.   
  • Damn this is sick. Maybe contacting a rescue up there? I think there are a couple of rescues up there in that area. I'd donate to them in a heartbeat to help them buy him and get him the hell out of there.
  • I'd buy him myself to get hi. Outta there xtracho, but if he sells quickly won't the just 'restock' the breed?
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    They most surely would, maybe next time with two if he sold quickly.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited April 2014

Many people buy their puppies from pet stores.  A lot of people are impulse buyers, they see it, they want it, they buy it.  The problem with that is they never know the history of that animal.  With that being said they have to come from somewhere.  Most of the time it is the backyard breeder or puppy mills that sell to pet stores as a quick buck and washing their hands of the animal.  No respectful person or breeder would ever sell their baby to one.  Respectful breeders treat their puppies as a member of the family ensuring they get the best of care from the time they are conceived until forever.  But, unfortunately breeders get thrown into a group.  Most of the time it's never good.  All the bad you hear about breeders is because of those calloused ones that make others look bad because of things like this.  I like to think we raise English Bull Terriers.  While that does constitute breeding a pair of EBT's, we plan those mating's from the time they are puppies, through good genetics and temperaments.

Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I have a pit in my stomach and a lump in my throat right now :(