Skip to content

when will my bully be full grown?

hi. i have a brindle and white male. just turned 2 years old.  he's  53 pounds right now.  but i have heard that he will even get bigger. say when he is 5 or 6.  has anybody had that experience of there bully getting bigger in the old age.   just trying to see how big he can get.  i make him run, work out and pull trees down and feed him quite well.  do you think he will get bigger in the next 2 years?   thanks!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    If your EBT is two years of age he has reached his peak. If someone has told you they can get bigger after 2 years of age they aren't talking about natural muscle weight.

Usually at around 12-14 months of age a Bull Terrier will reach its final height. However, they will continue to fill out and pack on some pounds until around 20-24 months of age. A two year Bull Terrier is pretty much at its prime.

If someone tells you they add weight at 5 or 6 years of age it could be body fat from slowing down within their energy level. You may have a tad bit of weight gain from 2-3 but usually not much if any at all.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He pulls trees? Lmao I wanna see a picture of that!! My bull terrier Bowzer that is no longer living, was 50 pounds from when he was 1 year until he was 3 years, when he got to be about 4 years old he got to be about 60 pounds and wider in the front and overall heavier. When they get older, they pack on weight a lot more and hold it, so yes I do believe he will get bigger and is pretty small for a male, or average for most pet bred bull terriers.
  • here he is at 10 months pullin a tree down.

and i have a friend with a bully. he said at 2 years old he was about 45 pounds. he is now 7 years old and 75 pounds.  so i know my dog wont get any taller but i was thinkin he would put some more muscle on in the next year or two. because when i look at my bully he still has that puppy frame kinda with a giant head. haha.  looks like he stand to gain 10 more pounds.

i dont know any other dog breed that various in sizes like the EBT.  just for standard ebt they can be 40 to 100ibs.    thats such a huge difference haha.  

but thank you all for your input.  helps me out because where i live there are no bullies or bully owners
    Great Video!!!

I think his growth and weight will have a lot to do with his genetics and bloodlines. I've been breeding for almost 20 years now and have owned many Bull Terriers. However, I've never seen or heard of a 2 year EBT putting on 35 pounds of muscle after the age of 2. Then again, I've never seen a 100 pound EBT either. I'm not sure I'd want to. :D
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • how big have your bullies got?  do they have an average weight?  
    Our males are between 65 - 84 pounds. Here's a picture of our biggest - Rocky. He's next to my wife in the first photo which is most recent. It gives you an idea of his size. Can you imagine what a 100 pound EBT would look like if this guy is 80 pounds? By the way, Rocky isn't 2 years old yet but YES he's full grown. ;)
    Rocky and Julie.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 763K
    010.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 742K
    IMAG0463.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 713K
    054.JPG
    960 x 540 - 332K
    Rocky - Jan 03, 2012.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Rocky custom 02.jpg
    356 x 509 - 154K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • wow! thats a big boy.  and hes not even 2 yet?? jeeze. id love to have one of his pups.  so i guess my boy is just a smaller one then? if he is 53 pounds now he might get up to 60 at the most?    i just thought that over all any dog would get a more "manly frame" after the age of two. i was looking at it like if the dog is 2 years old then thats like 14 years old for a man.  so i thought after my dog got out of highschool he would be bigger.haha. like my buddies pit who was 69 pounds at 2 and a half now he is 6  years old and 90 pounds.. the biggest one that i have seen is 70 pounds and he is gnarly.  i did see that picture of the 110 pound bully in one of the posts. that guy looked awesome!  your dog looks just like mine but 30 pounds heavier haha. same markings
  • Haha funny video! I had a bull terrier that used to do that but would put tires and stuff on the trees for him to grab. I dont think he will get too much bigger, but like I said my boy gained 10 pounds from 2 years to 4 years.

• how much does that guy weigh?
  • this is the one who weighed 50 but than weighed 60 when he was around 4. He was 50 here. He is not alive anymore. RIP king Bowzer.
  • This is my boy Claxxton he is 17 inches tall and 58 pounds, he is 13 months old, he will probably top out at around 65.
    408191_3586729366457_1903485279_n.jpg
    691 x 960 - 83K
  • wow. its so crazy how they range in size.  40 to 100 is such a huge scale. my guy is hard to messure cause he hunkers down any time i try to see how tall he is.  but he is about 18 or 19 inches. and the vet scale said 53 pounds. he seems heavier.  and i think my boy still has room to grow. because when i look at him from the front his head and chest are about the same width. when he was a puppy he had a huge head. then at 13 month he was evened out. but now at two years old his head is huge again compared to his body.  he just turned two a few days ago. so maybe in the next few months he will get a bit wider. who knows.  i guess only time will tell.  but i feed him really well and im always trying to make him do strong dog stuff haha.

and that picture was taken about 2 months ago.   it still looks so puppy like
  • here he is all stanced out looking a stick next to a pug. this was about a month ago

and here he is about a year ago.  his head is alot fatter now

I think a lot has to do with their genetics and bloodline. He looks young in the photos and I'm sure he has the potential to broaden out and get heavier. Start supplementing his diet with some raw meat weigh gaining recipes and I'm sure he'll pack on some weight. Just keep him active and exercised during the process so the added calories does him justice.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Size or not hes beautiful I am a sucker for a brindle though:)
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    I think a lot has to do with their genetics and bloodline. He looks young in the photos and I'm sure he has the potential to broaden out and get heavier. Start supplementing his diet with some raw meat weigh gaining recipes and I'm sure he'll pack on some weight. Just keep him active and exercised during the process so the added calories does him justice.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • he looks like a well proportioned boy and i wouldnt fuss over too much what size he will be, they will be as they are no matter how much we tell them to grow faster!! haha
  • hahah. i do tell him to grow faster. i called him mini when he was a pup.  thanks for the info guys.  i do feed him raw meat on top of his normal diet.  he has nutrisca chicken dry food on the reg, then ground beef or a neck shank cut, some times i boil some chicken breast up for him.

ive always been thrown off by some of the bulk supplements.  seems like they could be harmful. do you know of any that are good?
    I'll send a couple to you.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    I sent them to you a couple day ago. You should have already received them.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • im just wanna show u my miniature bull terrier my chiko was a brindle he was 3 monthsand later 8 months..hes no here no more :(...... and this is luna and athena all white with patch on left ear...luna 3 months and athena 7 weeks...we love them.....  :)
    385882_100795076705458_337351678_n.jpg
    464 x 706 - 37K
    251775_265669310218033_435195816_n.jpg
    480 x 640 - 66K
    580468_331344190317211_1739595219_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 62K
  • Is my bully under sized? Hes almost 5 months old. About 15" tall 25lb's

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2013
    My boy is also 5 months. The car seat shot (below) would show them to be about the same size. But my boy's 40lbs already... So now you've got me worried,.. unless you are talking kilos, or need a new scale ( or maybe I do :-B ) there's something wrong!!, they look the same.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited April 2013

Not sure why you would worry or think something is wrong. Judging by your photo I think yours looks bigger. He looks more filled out, mine is kind of narrow and lanky.

I think the problem is mine is too small. Then again I dont feed him any special raw diet. Hes on TOTW puppy food.

He's still very young with lots of growing to do. How big were the parents?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited April 2013
    I am just worried that we're feeding ours too much. Steve says you can't over feed a puppy at this age as long as they get enough exercise, but they always seem soooo ravenous... They also on TOTW plus some raw chicken etc. Your guy has such a fabulous face and coloring! Perhaps, as Steve suggests, the parent(s) where lanky'er ... Keep us posted as to how he fills out, especially after you add the raw.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • ummm is he a standar bully or a minniature cuz mine luna  is 6 monts and and shes 28 pounds and shes a minniature....standar at 6 months they should be at least 35 pounds.....
  • Noxide your baby has a gorgeous head! He does look to be the taller, more terrier type bull terrier. 15 Inches is very short, but he is only barely 5 months old. He does seem a bit more in the mini category, but I have seen these things change very fast. Give him time to grow and mature, things change fast!
  • Thank you, hes 19 weeks old today. I haven't weighed him in a week or so. He was gaining about 2 lbs a weeks, its slowed down to about 1 lb a week. So maybe its just slow and steady. If i remember correctly the parents were pretty small them selves, both at around 50-55lbs. Including my boy seemed to be sort of a runt compared to the other littermates.

Regardless we love him to death. Ive never had an animal with so much life!

• Well if he was the runt he may just be a smaller bullie. Nothing wrong with that, I don't know how many emails I get for people asking for smaller sized ones! Haha. He will probably be 45-50 pound range.
    2lbs a week is great, that's what our boy is managing, but the girl,... sometimes 1, sometimes nothing, then 3lbs the next week. She's less consistent and I am sure shell end up less than him. Under weight is definitely better than overweight. I'm willing to bet your boy will be over 50lbs before Thanksgiving.
  • I think after reading all these posts that I neglect to weight my 11 month old's food :-( I feed him on Barf & the pack that they supply the food in he has 1 a day + a bit of kibble he also has an apple & a chew stick per day as well. Is this kind of portion ok? I will weigh & measure him tonight as I don't know that either, I feel really bad that I should know but he seems content. I will post some pics.
  • The pack you feed him should have a weight labeled on it, but if you follow a BARF only diet it is best to weigh it out so you know that they are getting what they need, but since you also add kibble it's not necessary to weight out his food.
  • Well from the time i started this discussion my main man has put on weight. He was 53 pounds last year. Now he is 3 years old and a little over 60 pounds. So he did have a bit of filling out. Also I talked to a buddy of mine near Seattle to see how his bully is doing. Last time we saw each other his dog was about 3 years old and 70 pounds. Well he's 7 years old now and almost 80 pounds.... But that's probably from table scraps
    If he was 70 pounds at 3 years old and he's gained 10 additional pounds after his prime age I can guarantee it's FAT.
    Send us a photo of this 80 pounder.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • These were takin a while back. I know he got a tad bit fatter
    image.jpg
    612 x 612 - 128K
    image.jpg
    479 x 651 - 81K
    image.jpg
    540 x 720 - 114K
    He sure looks good in those photos. I'd have guessed his weight around 60-65 though. Photos are deceiving though.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yeah bully photos are always deceiving. But I know for a fact I saw him on the scale a long while ago and he was 70 something. I want to say 74. But I heard he recently got fat and he's about 80 according to his owner. He is a funny dog....a bit..troubled but non the less still funny.
  • I was reading this and I'm thinking that my baby is some-kind of freak? He has 8 months old and weights 50 lbs and he isn't that fat or is he? He does some exercise at least a couple hours day, everyday.. Maybe is the his fat neck (and the rest as he doesn't have any muscle besides some on the soft belly and legs) lol

DSC00921.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    DSC00889.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 447K
    He looks about the perfect bullie with the perfect weight for his age, great condition!
    Looking Good!  :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited October 2014
    Thank you all!!
    I don't know, I still doubt whenever I see another 1 month younger with a full grown body, the guy is basically an adult with 6-7 months, Muscular neck, muscular ribs, very wide, I will have to wait and see. Don't get me wrong I love this F+cka, he his the perfect combo of sweet and beauty, but I'm very unsure because he is from a amateur breeder and during the process of finding one I was sure that it was all the same..
    And I don't know if his weight is this, he doesn't look that big, maybe the scale was wrong or because he doesn't have much muscle, unless on his legs. 

One more just for head appreciation 

I think I said before that you Bullie looks perfect in every respect. If his health is as good as his looks then you are in good shape. At 8 months our kids were 64 and 56 lbs, but they have settled out at about 65 lbs each... they are now nearly 2 years old. But every bullie is different and if yours settles at 55lbs 'ish, you should be very glad.
  • There are lots of days I am thankful my bullie is petite...she only just hit 50 pounds and she's 3 years old. Even then she's short and very compact, so it's not like she's a big 50 pounds, she just packs it in. That being said, at 8 months and 50 pounds he's still going to grow, so don't expect this to be his final size. Hope you're ready. ;)
    Luigi!!!~! If you want him to grow any bigger you can send him over to my place for a three week visit..... I can only promise you that you'll never get that beauty back again!!!
  • Luigi!!!~! If you want him to grow any bigger you can send him over to my place for a three week visit..... I can only promise you that you'll never get that beauty back again!!!
    AHAHAH No away! Yeah, I think he his so heavy because of the fatty loose skin, but he will have to grow, his belly looks like he is hungry, he still has his bone structure like a baby (not wide), and the guy probably has usually (and now) 55lbs, as he was fasten and all his guts were clean of poop, let's see, I'm ready for him to be big, I want him to be the most his genes make him able too. I'm very anxious that he turns 12 months so we can start making more exercise and push each other a bit more! 

P.S. I have a Bully in my neighborhood that should had been the standard, the guy is a cross of a miniature bull terrier and a standard bull terrier, both beautiful and he turn out even beautiful with some very good measures, he measures as much as a small bitch standard but very compact!

Thank you all for your kind words
  • I have no experience with pure bred EBTs.
    But I have a fair bit with other Working Bull n Terrier types and Bull crosses.
    I can only say in my experience they stop growing in height when they reach sexual maturity.
    Which is a Bitch first breaking or a Dog lifting his leg to urinate.
    That can happen at different ages.
    I had a Dog started at 6 months and now have one who is almost a year and just starting.
    After that they put on muscle and Hed size till they are 18 months or maybe up to 2 years.
    A worker is at his best from 2 till 5.
    If your Dog puts on weight after 2 I would say it must be fat.
    Bones and meat are the best  diet have found.
    They dont mess as often ..
    A good sign they are absorbing the food well.
    I like to see their last 2 Ribs at least otherwise I consider them fat.
    I know Show Breeders think differently.
    I never worry much about what size a Dog will make.
    Its more about character and that inner spirit you cant tell from looking.
    Also less weight will be compensated for with agility speed and stamina in many cases.
    Anyway thats been my experience.
    If you are concerned about size affecting his ability as a guard I wouldnt worry.
    The look of any EBT would put a criminal off.

By the way just as a personal preference I would favour the more Terrier type of EBT .
    But thats an individual decision.