Skip to content

Nasal discharge?

Wondering if any of you have ever had an issue with your bullie having a runny nose - like a REALLY stuffy nose...nasal discharge, etc. 

Approximately 2 months ago, our Sammy got into something and had a horrible allergic reaction. His face, mouth, eyes, etc. were very swollen (picture included). We don't know if he was rooting around in poison ivy (maybe) or found a nest of wasps (not likely), but he was a real mess. The vet put him on prednisone steroids for the swelling, antihistamine for the itching, and antibiotic to stave off infection. He responded well and looked fine a week later, but then this "runny nose" started. He would sneeze and this very thick discharge would come out of his nose. It was pretty gross! The doctor put him on more antibiotics for another 2 weeks. It would improve but once he finished the antibiotic, it would start up again.

The vet thinks something must be stuck up there that is continuing to irritate him and cause this reaction. Next step would be sedation and a rhinoscope. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before? Thanks...
1799175_10203513291978728_1926141067_o.jpg
852 x 1136 - 80K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    My neighbours dog has that, thick droopy snolleys! that whip around. Gross!  He says "oh allergies", but does nothing about it.... We keep the kids away because we're afraid it's contagious. I'm sure it's some food allergy that needs to be recognized and rooted out.... It's amazing how many little things can send a bullie up the wall.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited April 2014
    That's a shame they don't do anything about it :( Poor thing must be miserable.

Our vet indicated that it if comes out of both nostrils, it's likely an infection or allergies.

If it's just one nostril - like my guy - she said it's probably something lodged up in there that is causing the discharge, or it could also be something with the teeth. Interestingly, my guy has been having trouble with a tooth on that side, so that might be it. We see the vet later this afternoon. Again. Stay tuned...