Skip to content

Broken nails

My 9-month old (very) active female pup (Murphy) was wrestling around with a blanket that resembles sheep fur last night when she split a nail lengthwise down to the quick. Normally, I would be less concerned, but this is the second nail she has split--the first was a few months ago and eventually we had to have it trimmed down to where the fur meets the nail, well below the quick, while she was anesthetized.

Murphy eats Nature's Recipe puppy (lamb and rice) kibble that the breeder had them on, supplemented with lean meat, some veggies, bananas, a spoon of cottage cheese here and there. She also takes a 300-mg supplement of fish oil that our vet had recommended for our last bully. I keep her nails pretty well-trimmed, not letting them get much more than 1/8" or so past the quick for the most part.

Any suggestions? Has anyone heard of this issue? It seems pretty uncomfortable for her and we have an appointment this evening with her vet.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    It's not uncommon, although she seems to have a great diet I have no experience of Nature Recipe.. Have you checked it out on dog food advisor.com? Is it grain free, does she get salmon oil.. Typically a fish oil capsule? Isn't enough... But, if/ as and when it happens hold the two parts together tight and use super glue.. Also check for any cracks and use superglue before they part...at her age she'll probably just grown out of it.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I never had any Bull Terriers actually split their fingernail for unknown reasons until we raised Deuce. Right about the time she turned 7 months old she split one of her nails right down the middle. It bled and was very painful on her as I could tell she would keep her weight off it when she walked and held a slight limp. The first time it happened I thought maybe she got it caught in the screen door during a time she bolt outside with the rest of the dogs. However, over the course of about 6 months she managed to split 3 nails and there was no way I could say she kept doing on the screen door pinching on her toe. I remember researching causes and found numerous theories. However, after the 3rd event of splitting her nail it never happened again. She's always had strong healthy nails which are trimmed short. The times she split her nails remain a mystery and I'm glad it has never happened again. I wish I could provide you with a good answer as to the cause of this problem along with a suggestion to prevent it from happening again. I ruled out all assumptions I researched on the internet and before I ever found an answer for Deuce she simply corrected the problem herself and never had a repeat occurrence. Oddly your Bull Terrier is about at the same age as Deuce was when she split her nails. Hopefully she too will outgrow the problem in mysterious ways.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited March 2014

Thanks, you two, for your comments. The vet was not too
    concerned and had no real recommendations for prevention that we are not
    already doing. The first time, I didn't see it happen, just realized she was
    limping and crying. 
    It had split down the middle from
    tip to top and was very painful for her. We had it trimmed at the very top, but
    it ended up growing out split still, so had to have it cut way above the quick.
    That one is just now growing out, so far so good, it doesn't appear to be
    split. Now this second one on the other front foot, I was present, and it became caught up in the
    furry blanket that she was wrestling with. Not as bad as the first, and the vet
    (with 2 helpers) cut it shorter than I would have been able to. She wondered if
    it might be either the brutal winter we have had (I live in Minneapolis) just
    causing her nails to be extra dry and brittle, or if she just has a personal
    quirk of breakable nails, and she also suspected it might be something that
    will be outgrown. My previous bullies had the sturdy, thick nails we are used
    to. Murphy has just been a delicate little BT all along, lithe and wirier. I
    guess this comes with the territory.

• Quinn experienced lots of broken nails, one of her back toes splitting/breaking at least 3 times. Most of the time it was a case of the nail nearly or completely breaking off, where just the quick was left. One time it was a split you describe, almost as if she had pulled a hangnail and there was just a sliver removed with the quick exposed. For most of her severe ones I had to take her to the vet to get clipped (could hear the poor girl screaming...I am certain this is why she hates the vet) and wrapped for a day. But we just kept them clean and they grew back fine.

I learned to be diligent with the nails. Keep them as short as possible and file after cutting so there were no sharp edges that could get caught. Since she's grown up and since we've started coconut oil we haven't had a break in a long time. But other than that, I'm not sure what cured it!
  • We just returned from the vet with Murphy's third broken nail, and we could hear her screaming from the back as they trimmed both the split nail and all of the other healthy ones. She was carrying on as if being tortured, but it was not from pain, no quicks were nicked. She has now just become very afraid of anyone touching her feet, and I fear we will have issues going forward even going near her nails for a trim (which has never been an issue before). I have an emery board nearby; I plan to just introduce it as part of the petting routine as she sits quietly near me, to see if I can keep on top of it.
    Quinnofhearts, can you tell me more about the coconut oil you mentioned? is this something you use as a supplement?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a preventative measure? I really don't want to put her through this again.

(Monday morning quarterback says:) It's best to play with their feet and use an emery board from when they are 8 weeks old. If they get used to the fact that it's pampering, and if it NEVER hurts, they actually like it.
    But, (and i've been guilty when i was a heck of a lot younger), if you let them over grow, and the quick grows with them... it's hell getting them short again.... As they grow older, and nails get tougher, I use a dremel, but make sure you take your time and ensure the wheel doesn't get hot.... otherwise you'll undo all the good work.
    But it's easier to do it once a week and keep at it.... (if you are lazy, as I sometimes am), take them for long walks on (not hot) country roads, that asphalt works better than a Dremel.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks, Phil. Her nails are not too long yet (I am more diligent than I have been in the past with other bullies) and until now, she has let me trim them with no issues. I have run the emery board gently on her legs, snout, side, etc. as I pet her, so I am hoping that will help get her used to it. So far I can get 2-3 nails, just a bit on each, before she protests. Just worried about what the future may hold, now that she is afraid of nail trimming.

We should be snow-free this week in Minneapolis, will get out on the asphalt soon!

• Sorry I never got back to you @mbgood . You can find coconut oil at places like Whole Foods or Trader Joes (well, you can find coconut oil at Kroger or whatever your friendly grocery is) but you have to buy extra virgin/high quality. Or at least that's what pretty much everyone on the internet said... Coconut oil is a white solid if it's not warm or heated and doesn't smell too good (I haven't tasted it) but Quinn LOVES it. I just scoop a but out with a spoon and she eats it right off. I started her on coconut oil for a yeast infection and it's been great for her coat, so I'd assume it would also be beneficial to her nails.

The only other tips I have are to keep at it with the emery board, but also touch your dog's feet as often as possible. When Quinn lays with me I pet her feet. When she was little, I'd stick my fingers in between her toes and pads, squeeze her feet, play with her toenails. It might help her to realize that not all touch on her feet is bad and she might be able to relax more while you're filing her nails.
  • @quinnofhearts your coconut oil doesn't smell good? I love the way it smells! It has a very light coconut smell, if it smells otherwise it's going rancid. But if you don't like the way coconut smells, that could explain it as well.
  • Thanks again, all!  I found coconut oil at Trader Joe's, and considering Murphy will eat virtually anything (non-food items included) we shouldn't have problems there. My friend also suggested rubbing a little gently on her nails as a topical, to maybe make the nails less brittle. Heck, I'll try anything now!
  • I mean, it doesn't smell bad but it doesn't smell like Bath and Body Works lotion or anything. It's just very subtle, a tad sweet a tad...natural? I don't know how to describe it. I don't think it's rancid though. Almost time for a new jar! Definitely try rubbing it on the feet, @mbgood . Warm it up just a bit so it's workable. It'll help the skin and pads as well.
  • on the topic of nails, is normal or bad for the ends (almost the root of the nail) to be dark colored red, almost looking like blood? attached are some pics that i hope will help explain. She has it on about 3 nails between both paws. Thnx!
    IMAG1148.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 2M
    IMAG1149.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 2M
    I'd say that's pretty standard.

That's yeast build up. It usually doesn't effect the dog too much unless it's of higher yeast infection. Usually the fur between the toes will be discolored (red) as well. It's often caused by foods high in grain. Wet paws can make it worse. If your Bullie isn't licking her paws or her feet don't have a foul smell (like corn chips) I wouldn't worry too much. This isn't uncommon within the EBT breed as many are sensitive to allergies and the first place you'll notice it will be the feet via yeast buildup in the nails, red fur, bald patches, licking of the feet, sores, etc.
    My suggestion would be to change her diet, provide her a supplement, and just keep an eye on her to ensure the problem doesn't worsen.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Okay great thanks. With changing diet to what regards? Shes on TOTW and mix in canned food in the evenins couple times a week and other times mix in fruit or vegetables
    TOTW is a very good food. It may be that she is more prone to allergies than normal. I'd provide her with a good supplement - http://bulliesofnc.com/online-store/supplements-vitamins

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yep, that's a classic yeast infection. Quinn's feet were just like that. The vet prescribed her some wipes (she actually had hair loss on her feet, more thinning than actual patches) and as we came to end of the wipes I started her on coconut oil. I have seen a tremendous improvement. It seems that certain foods can aggravate yeast infections further, such as grains and sweet potato. TotW is a good food, but I saw an improvement in my dog's coat after I switched her off of TotW. But different dogs do well on different things!