Skip to content

Ruby's belly

Hi I've just brought a bull terrier pup..she was fine when we got her on Saturday but by Sunday was having runny stools with blood
Took her to the vets and he gave her a wormer plus probiotic for her belly and told me to put her on rice and chicken,the breeder had her on royal canin.
She had her first vaccination on the Friday before we picked her up..she has been on this rice diet since Monday it's now Thursday still has has runny stool but not so much..can I start introducing her puppy food back or keep her on this until she is completely better.

Comments

• Hi there, congrats on your new baby!
    Did the vet actually check a stool sample before giving wormer? Have they ruled out both parvo and giardia? If so...awesome.

I've never had a pup that had a negative gastrointestinal response to a vaccine. Maybe some lethargy or tenderness, but never runny/bloody stools. I personally would take her off Royal Canin. I don't care for it as a food, any variety. I'd get her on something a little better quality and definitely wheat/grain/soy free. Quinn was on Science Diet from the breeder, got explosive (I mean it!) diarrhea about a week after coming home, and I immediately switched her food. She did much better. Your pup probably isn't producing as much stool because chicken and rice honestly isn't much to process. That's why it is suggested for sick dogs.

When my dog gets the whoops n poops: I fast her for at least one meal. Then I put her on cooked ground turkey and egg noodles for at least one whole day, maybe two depending on severity. Then I slowly incorporate dry kibble into the turkey and noodles. So I'll do 3/4 t&n, 1/4 kibble. Then 1/2 and 1/2. Then 1/4 t&n, 3/4 kibble. Then back to kibble, topped with any leftover turkey n noodles. Or whatever method you prefer.

If that doesn't work, it may end up being a case of diet and it will be trial and error to find things that agree with her. :-<
  • Hi thanks for your reply..
    I think it's going to be trial And error with patience..
    Hopefully she is better soon.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Sounds like Coccedia to me. Does it have a foul smelling ordor that's unuaslly different than normal stool? A smell of old blood? Was she tested? How old is she?
    My suspicion is that she either has coccedia or she is younger than the appropriate age of 8 weeks old and the stress from being away from her siblings is having some effects on her. Another thing to consider is the fact that puppies take some time to get used to different tap water from one place to the next which can also cause loose stool.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She was brought from a very good breeder..had first vaccination on Friday has had probiotic and additional wormer from my vet..today her stool has harden up with no blood fingers crossed she is on the mend..I did read about the tap water thing..she is very lively in herself playing biting etc eating drinking sleeping well..
    So hopefully it's the stress of the move and change in general..
    Thanks for your comments guys
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Glad she is on the mend... I like Quinn's recommendations ....how old is she?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • She is 9 weeks now...so now she has been on this chicken and rice diet for 4 days want to move her on to puppy food..breeder told me to feed royal canin not sure if this is the best any suggestions would be appreciated
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Puppies do well on Royal Canin and I have nothing against that food during the whelping stages and early puppy stages. However, once they get a little older I change to grain free.

http://bulliesofnc.com/bull-terrier-nutrition

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks bulliesofNC I think I will try her back on the royal canin