Skip to content

Good things

edited March 2014 in General
There might be a thread already started on the topic of good things that have been discovered that bring joy to our BTs or make our time with them more enjoyable.  If not, I wanted to share something I bought last week at the doggy resort.  As soon as they took Rodney for his temperament test, everyone commented not only on what a fabulous temperament he has, but also how STRONG he is. 

I spent some time in the retail shop looking for a new collar (with pelicans, yay!) and just browsing.  They had a rescue pit bull that had trouble being on a leash, so I asked her if she had found anything that helped with pulling.  She immediately pointed me to the freedom harnesses.  She said that she has bought virtually every harness, and none come close to the freedom harness for dogs that pull on the leash.

I bought one, thinking even if it helped just a little bit, that would be wonderful.  It is as wonderful as I had hoped.  Walking him on the leash is soooooo much easier now.  The harness has velvet on the webbing that goes under their chest so that the webbing doesn't dig into their skin.  It has spots to attach the leash on the chest and on the back, so there isn't any pulling on their neck.  As a matter of fact, it pulls them sideways towards you, instead of them pulling ahead of you.

We LOVE the freedom harness.  We bought it at the doggy resort, but I saw it on Amazon, and here is their website to see what it's like.  http://2houndswholesale.com/

Comments

• Hi all, I ended up asking Phil about his harness and he led me to a Dean and Tyler working harness. I got this for Soud and will convert from the regular collar/prong to this now. He has been on a prong collar since six months and has never pulled on it and has walked great. Think its time to move on now he's able to walk without pulling.

www.dtdogcollars.com/product-p/dth6plus.htm

Can't wait to get it and start using it for his walks.
  • Their collars are beautiful.  We should probably get him a fancy collar, too.  :)

That harness looks amazing.  I think if I had seen that first, I'd have gone for that one.  I really like seeing what's working for people.  There's so many things out there, it would be nice to know firsthand from people here on the forum what works.
  • Hahaha!  Well, Boyda, I think you're right about that.  The pelican collar isn't doing anything to attract the ladies.  The collars really are stunning, and he would look absolutely debonair in one.  :)
  • edited March 2014
    @Exiled - let us know how Rodney likes the collar. I'm in the shopping for one but need one that won't pull hair.

If you guys get a chance I got the harness for $41 shipped from an open box item on eBay but spoke to the seller it's new someone just decided to try it on in store and take the tags off. I'm looking forward to using it having Spud pull me on my skateboard.

If Phil can chime in and let us know how it is that would be great :).
  • I can't wait to hear about skateboarding with Spud!  I'm looking forward to saving up for the fancy collar.  I've been put on a budget, lol. 

The pelican collar is one that my kids wanted.  It's webbing with ribbon on it, made by Preston Ribbon.  They also made the crawfish one (it's really a lobster, but we pretend it's crawfish).  There hasn't been hair pulling with it. 

Those collars from Ellas's Lead are gorgeous.  I need to be careful going to that site.  :)  Is the martingale collar helpful with pulling? 

Rodney's teeth look great, and we want his teeth to continue looking great.  I'm wondering what people use to help prevent plaque and tartar.  Are the dental chews helpful?  When I asked the vet, he said it's the enzymes in the products that help dissolve the buildup.  I've seen various products, but would appreciate any tips.

• @Exiled - it seems Rodney has brought lots of happiness your family's way and it makes me happy as well. Anyways, I'll have to check out the collar you mentioned.

I'm new to any pulling but wouldn't mind anyone else chiming in?

As for keeping teeth clean I think the bones help but my understanding is raw food helps keep the teeth clean but I also still feed Spud kibble so I brush his teeth once every week or so. Anyone else got suggestions? Spud always smells like fish since he gets shots of salmon oil in the mornings.
  • Yes, putting Spud on the pinch collar at six months helped Spud not pull. I think there was a thread on this previously but a lot mentioned having success with it as long as you correct at the right time.
  • Just ordered the Freedom No-Pull Harness for Maya. She chewed the buckle off the expensive Dean & Tyler that she had. Also got a matching leash for the new harness. Headed to ellaslead.com now to do a little shopping.
  • edited March 2014
    Hope you like it, Xtracho.  The lady in the shop said they'll replace webbing up to two times.  There's some tags that had information about that.  Since it's webbing, I don't have him in the harness unless I'm actively walking him.  No webbing can withstand BT chewing for very long.  The leash can be used attached to chest and back, or just the chest or back.  So far, he hasn't attempted to chew any of it, but then again, he's actively walking on the sidewalk.  After we take off the harness and leash, we keep the normal collar on him so he has his tags, and we can grab the collar if we need to. 

I'm going to have to ask nicely this weekend if I can get one of those beautiful Ella's Lead collars, lol.  :)  Thanks for the discount code, Boyda! 

So the gel is all you need, no brushing ever?  Sounds good!
  • I bought a harness similar to the freedom harness but it is called a Halti Harness. It clips in the front but also incorporates a collar. It's worked great for Quinn's pulling. The first time I put it on her, she bolted to get a tennis ball and she flipped over! Couldn't help but laugh...she was okay, just wanted the ball. But I would definitely recommend front-clip harnesses for pullers over anything else.

@Boyda - I have the Fresh Breath gel that I am starting Quinn on. About how often do you apply it? I have a brush for Quinn as well...she doesn't care for it much. With such a lovely bully smile, I just want to keep her teeth pretty! (smells better too ;) )
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Try the kids flavored toothpaste on Quinn .... Our kids line up to have their teeth brushed whenever we pull the tube out of the closet.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • One of our good friends is a dentist in Manhattan, and he uses an electric toothbrush for his dog.  He made it sound so easy, so when I told the vet that I was planning to use an electric toothbrush on Rodney, he actually burst into loud laughter.  He took a few breaths after laughing so hard and strongly suggested that I not pursue that and stick to something that works with enzymes, lol. 

Any particular flavor seem more attractive to them--bubblegum, berry?  Doggy toothbrushes, kids toothbrushes, adult toothbrushes? 
  • edited March 2014
    Took Spud out three times on the skateboard and he's pooped, maybe because we went to the park three days in a row as well.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Wow, he's so Big now. I love that first photo of him. He looks strong and confident! That photo shows his nice fawn coat and great profile.
    :-bd
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for the comments guys. Got up early this morning and popped on some rollerblades and finally got Spud to pull. Seems like A loose leash doesn't make him pull but giving him a pulling like tug with a short leash does the trick. Videos to come soon.
  • Awww, so cute!  Go Spud!  Is that his new harness?  Looks like it fits him perfectly.  I'm cracking up because I've been working on him not pulling, and now it sounds like there's a fun purpose to them pulling...on a skateboard.  It's so sweet looking at him knocked out after a hard day playing.
  • Yea, the harness came in earlier than expected. I was worried about the pulling too but I think when there's a purpose that gets him focused he's all for it.
  • The spare ribs were a hit.  This is Rodney "walking" in the neighborhood on a leisurely Sunday afternoon.  :)
    rodney 18.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    rodney 19.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    rodney 16.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    rodney 17.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Rodney's looking good. Glad to see him having a good time and with a family to give him love.
  • Thanks, Soapskid.  He's giving lots of love to us, too.  The bond was immediate.  He gets about 4 hours of exercise a day, throughout the day.  When my kids get home from college over the summer, then he's really going to be over the moon happy.  He played for hours last night with a couple of neighborhood dogs, and they had a blast.  People in the neighborhood are falling in love with him, too.  He's definitely in his forever home, and we couldn't be happier.
    Oh he must have loved those bones!!!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yes, he did!  I haven't given him one of the marrow bones yet, only tried the spare ribs.  Thanks for giving me the scoop on the bully sticks and antlers.  I think I saw bully sticks at Costco, so I'll probably pick up some next time I go.  I cannot imagine 4-foot-long ones! 
  • 4 foot long bully sticks? Those were some well endowed bulls!
    LOL. I have a feeling there's a little more that goes into making those sticks than what you think. I've got to go to a show at the end of the month. If the same vendor is there I will ensure to take some pics.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @exiled - Rodney must be a tired pup. I mean that's the only thing a bully needs is exercise, affection and just a firm hand and it needs to be done daily and they are the greatest breed ever.

Had to take Spud to the park today since I wanted a quiet afternoon and family will be over. He's pooped right now and hopefully he even eats tonight. He had about 2 lbs of chicken last night as a treat.
  • edited March 2014
    @BulliesofNC>> either way Steve...it has an impact on a man's....ummm...well you know!  ;)

And yeah make sure you take some pics...make it worse on us....ummm...bully stick challenged guys!
  • @Soapskid>> Spud looks great even if tired. I really like his fawn colors for sure!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Xtracho ... Wait until you see the appendages on African Elephants.... Then you'd have something significant to ponder.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @philsergeant I though that human toothpaste was bad for dogs? Or maybe the kids toothpaste doesn't have the bad stuff in it cause kids swallow it too? Definitely might be some better flavor options though. Not that Quinn is picky, but whatever could help!

@exiled - Can't believe your friend can use an electric toothbrush on his dog!! :-))

Glad Rodney is liking all of his snacks and chews. He really is settling in well.
    And thanks everyone for the tips!
  • @Xtracho - thanks, we need more pictures of Maya.

I have been brushing Spud's teeth every 1-2 weeks with Nylabone brand toothpaste and a soft baby brush. I think if I completely move over to a all raw diet I may eliminate this.
  • The groomer introduced us to Isle of Dogs Sugar Cane & Grapefruit spray.  It can be sprayed on the dog and/or in your home.  It has a nice, clean smell that is kind of like a slightly sweet citrus smell.  I don't like the powder-y sickening sweet smell most products have, but this one is something everyone seems to like that has smelled it.
    good spray.jpg
    500 x 500 - 18K