Skip to content

Canine Acne

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
Has anyone had any experience with canine acne? We've never experienced it before with previous Bullies, but our current pair have had a breakout that we have been unable to attribute to any cause. Thankfully it's subsiding now, but for a few weeks we were really bothered, as it was obviously bothering them. By all accounts the description of "canine acne" matches all the symptoms they were displaying... Bumps, discoloration, breakouts, scabbing and small area hair loss. Reading up says that this is very typical of short haired dogs,... They quote boxers, bulldogs etc. As they know little of Bullies. But they say it's an adolescence thing and passes between 8 to 12 months, typically never returning.... .???
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• The only thing I've ever experienced that sounds like that was diagnosed as a flea allergy. She would get little bumps all over her skin that would raise up, scab, and then the scab would come off and take the hair with it. Is there some sort of cream you can use, like a rash cream or diaper cream? I know it's probably not considered a rash if it's acne, but I wouldn't recommend slathering on Clearasil :-?
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I have never experienced any sort of canine acne with any of our Bullies. However, as Quinnofhearts annotated, I have seen where flea bites reacted intensely to a dogs skin where it would swell, scab, and come off with the hair. This doesn't mean the dog needs to be flea infested either. Just a few flea bites from one or two fleas could set it off.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com