BTCNC
March 08, 2014
Kinston, NC Dog Park

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    What a beautiful bunch!!! Why were they kept on leads though?  Throughout?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Looking good. I hope we can get a gathering out here soon.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    They actually weren't on leads the whole time. However, most of the photos were taken outside the dog runs. The park had lots of other dogs and a few were not friendly.

A chocolate Lab tried to attack Apollo at one time and another dog started a Big brawl with a sheep dog. The Bull Terriers were the nice ones at the park. :)   However, when about 12 Bull Terriers showed up to the pond the mere presence scared all the other dogs and owners back up the path to the dog runs. Funny how the Bull Terriers caused No problems but were treated as if they were aggressive dogs when all around us was other dog breeds causing mischief and fights.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Chris and I were talking about that chocolate lab last night. I said "and here's Apollo about to get eaten and his tail is STILL wagging!". =))
  • Wish I could have seen all of those beautiful BT together in person.  Apollo's reaction sounds like what the doggy resort people said about Rodney.  They said there were a couple of aggressive dogs that went up to him to attack him a few times and he wagged his tail, like it was play.  They were very impressed that he had such a good temperament and didn't let it escalate.  Is that what most people on the forum are finding with their BTs?  It's like they're the peace makers and up for play, even when other dogs are aggressive.  I've been noticing the little dogs are the worst that we've been having to deal with.  They seem to come up charging snarling and showing their teeth.  Good for handsome Apollo showing that chocolate lab how classy dogs play.
  • Honestly, I think because we have to take extra care of our breed that we tend to make the extra effort to ensure they are well behaved and have sound temperament. I'm glad that I got Spud from a breeder who had socialized him but both of us did a lot of work on that as well.

Spud has never been aggressive or fought with any other dog. When he was a puppy he would be a little rough but that's because he doesn't know typical play yet luckily everyone at the park in the early mornings was good about allowing Spud to do it and letting the other dogs teach him manners. 

Unfortunately, I can't say this for all bull terriers but would like to. There is one at Spud's doggy day care that has to be crated the whole day because he is deemed too aggressive with other dogs yet he's much older than Spud. I can't really say why as I have never met the owners or the dog since it won't be allowed out. Spud passed his behavior test and is allowed in both the small and large dog areas throughout the day.

It seems like everyone's bully here is good though. I haven't really read anyone speaking about their dog getting violent.
    Bull Terriers may not be known for initiating a fight but make no mistake about it, if another dog brings aggression or wishes to attack, a Bull Terrier will teach them a lesson or two which will have them wishing they approached him with nothing other than love and respect.   b-(

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    It totally pisses me off when people take aggressive and badly behaved dogs to dog parks. I understand that in order to socialize them you need to get the exposure... But if your dog is aggressive and pushy you must control it and admonish it.... No point in standing back and saying "bad boy".... Either do something constructive or take your brat home.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Love the video!!
    I will say that if I'm honest I don't know if Stoeger is aggressive or not with other dogs. He has always been on a leash when around other dogs. He is just extremely protective of me. He is fine around dogs when leashed as long as I don't pet them or let them between me and him.

Anyway, I love the video, the bullies are all gorgeous!
  • These pictures basically tell me that I have the tiniest bull terrier ever. I'm convinced she could stand underneath some of those boys.

That being said, she's still got 100% of the personality. Quinn was in her first fight at 6 months. A dog about the same age was pestering her and she was trying to get away. I should have stepped in. Adolescent females, one thing led to another.... Another time we entered our little mini dog park behind our apartment, and since Quinn was the "new dog" all the other dogs decided to gang up on her, specifically a JRT. She held her own...and the JRT patrolled from a safe distance after that. Quinn's only been attacked at the big dog park once. Owners had some sort of pit bull type on a leash the whole time. Let her off and she attacked Quinn. Quinn was just trying to get her ball and didn't retaliate at first, but I think once the dog grabbed her back she decided to defend herself. Luckily the owner moved semi-quickly or Quinn would have had more than just a few scratches. Quinn definitely doesn't start fights, but she'll defend herself. I've kind of learned what her tolerance level is and know when to step in... *-:)

I've had to separate other people's dogs before. They just stand around and do nothing. Met blades of grass smarter than some of these people.
  • edited March 2014
    Sometimes I wish Spud was protective but then again I like his confident and outgoing personality. The one thing I wanted in a bully was the confidence but also to be friendly. My mom lives with me and she is much older and it would be difficult to handle Spud but he listens to her.

I knew I needed a pup who was gentle but also friendly with any type of animal cuz we have chickens and cats but I also attribute him being this way to socialization. At first Spud would play rough but like I said most owners allowed it because Spud would either get it by the other dog from the growl or I was there to ask him to leave it.

I did this early and had to deal with lots of bs from owners but I'd rather have this out of him at a young age then him be rough at an older age and most older dogs don't tolerate that and most understand puppies. He would have small scratches and scuffs but that's all it was. All the older unsocialized dogs would antagonize older dogs and actually got into biting matches.
    Stoges mom ...please.... I'd find places where he can be off lead and with other dogs.... I am always amazed at people that bring their dogs to the dog park and leave them on lead for longer than 30 seconds and then wonder why they get "antsy" ..... If they are tethered and others are loose they feel they are at a huge disadvantage and react badly. If you can let him go ASAP he will find his peace with other dogs and never get aggressive and over-possessive.... If not you run the danger of him not socializing properly. With our kids, unless the other dog (read owner) is a dickhead, or the dog naturally aggressive, I can, with confidence, let them go amoung chihuahuas or Great Danes knowing they will be gentle with the little ones, never pushy, and also stand their ground and not be afraid.
    edited March 2014
    Soapskid... Isn't that fabulous about Bullies.... My wife's mother lives with us, she has no one else, and she's approaching 90, and although the kids are rough housing all over, whenever they get near her they slow down and get gentle.... It's almost as if someone sat down and explained it all to them... They just KNOW.

P.S. I don't know if I'd even want a defensive/ protective dog..... My Ruger has a touchy personality and I don't want him to get offended.
  • edited March 2014
    @Phil - not to brag but doesn't it make u smile when u see the toy chihuahua owner asking if your dog is aggressive at the park and seeing your pup play with them gently. I had a lady have her chi small enough to fit under the fence and go to the big side. Spud ran like the wind about 200 feet and told her it was all right. Spud stops right in front if it and starts to lick it and they play for about 20 minutes.

Spud loves being chased at the park but at times I have to carefully watch him cuz it can be a gang of pups.

@Phil just saw ur second message. Same goes for my mom, she's 75 and my father passed away a few years ago. She watches him out in the yard and all he does is follow her everywhere but is super gentle.
    @soapskid... You need to watch out for the dog train... I always have to keep my eye on Marco, 'cos he wants to hump every female in sight... A month or so ago [because I was looking in the other direction] Isabella was leading the dog train ( fortunately) and smashed into my knee like Dale Ernhert .... I had a fractured tibia .... ( if it were one of the other dogs leading the owner woulda felt bad.... And I woulda blamed that dog. Hurt like hell .... And now I wonder why others hardly keep their eye on the dog train.... Even when they have kids with them.... It's like running across the track at Nascar!
  • edited March 2014
    Had it happen but not on your scale. I saw the pictures, hopefully you have fully recovered. One of Spud's playmates ran into my shin when Spud went between my legs to get cover. It hurt like heck but can't be mad at the pups plus the owner is great and the playmate teaches Spud mannerisms.

We went today and only for 30 minutes. We a walk for 2 hours before then since our weather is in the 70s here now and long days. He's been like this since.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • Yea, the nearest dog park we can't go to bc it's for it's town residents only and you have to hv a permit :-(. There are parks where dogs are allowed to run loose but no fence and if Stoeger saw a squirrel or bird it's over! Lol I don't hv friends with dogs or I would try to allow more contact. Only one friend with a rat terrier and he is fine with her.
  • The dog park here strongly encourages taking dogs off of leashes, saying that it makes the leashed dog feel vulnerable and could lead to aggression.  Kids are prohibited from bringing in their toys, and I don't think any child under 6 or 8 is even allowed in the fenced yards.  I haven't been there yet, so I don't know how much of a presence the dog park has of employees enforcing rules, but it's a long list of rules that make pretty good sense.  Wish Rodney could have been in NC for the get-together.  :)
    @exiled - I wish he could have too. I know he would have had a great time.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The dog parks here mostly all have double doors to allow safe entrance and exit. Since I go in the mornings it's normally clear to go in and I take the leash off of Spud at that point and tell him to sit. I do not open the second door into the park until he calms down. From there I open and he bolts for his life to the nearest dog - mind I only allow this in the mornings with the dogs Spud knows. If there is another dog not familiar with Spud I will do a few laps around the park until he is calm.

I've never had any issues at this point with him bolting in because when he does he does a complete screeching halt in front of the dog and just licks their faces. I have to watch out as this can startle dogs but like I said calm the pup before entering.
  • The entrance of the dog park where all the dogs lie. It's fun watching Spud get all excited but I know what you're talking about. Spud listens pretty often but at the park I swear all attention is on other dogs.
    @Boyda - Yes, this was the first BTCNC meeting and it was a blast! We looking forward to many more!

@philsergeant - You may want to start prepping for a BTCF. :)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    I'd love that... How do I find EBT owners around here. Everyone I meet says; " I've only seen those dogs, what-choo-may-call'em-- in an ad or a picture book.
    I guess it would be a little difficult for you if you are not in communications with others from Florida or are involved within other Bull Terrier communities on line.
    There are many from Florida that I communicate with via Facebook. In the event you had a true interest in initiating a club for your area I'd be happy to help you.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com