Skip to content

Spinning

A little background on me.... I have 2 Bull Terriers, a male and a female. My male is almost 2 and my female is 1.5. My husband and I have a 6 month daughter. My female has always spun a little, but we have always been able to call her name and she would stop.....until a couple of weeks ago. She has begun to spin constantly. She doesn't care if you call her name, try to distract her, or give her a treat...she WILL NOT stop. She now has started getting her tail when she spins and has made it look terrible! She yelps when she gets it..so I know she realizes it hurts. And when she spins she will crash into any thing around,

We took her to our regular vet last week, and he said that her tail is like a "hot spot" and that it hurts or itches and that is why she is spinning. He gave us an antibiotic that he said would help. She has actually gotten worse since last week. Now she is acting strange. She hunkers down when we walk near her like she has been abused (she has not..,we got her as a pup and our dogs are very spoiled). She won't play with our male, she is just fixated on spinning andher tail.

I need some advice please. We love her, but we are not willing to take a chance on her turning on our daughter.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2014
    Lacy, it's very unusual that a question goes unanswered on this forum for 24 hours, I hope someone has some real experience/ understanding of the extent of your dilemma ..... I am certain you must be worried sick about the situation. Our very first Bullie, many years ago, used to spin somewhat, actually, being new to Bullies back then, we thought it comical. But it wasn't as intense as you describe, and after a few months of admonishing her, it stopped. Our current, few generations later, little girl who is now 15 months used to spin quite a bit when she was about 6-8 months.... Knowing better we admonished her much sooner and stronger, and she doesn't do it now. I really hope someone comes up with wiser answers but, for starters, you must let her know in no uncertain terms that it doesn't please you.... Like all other unacceptable behaviour.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thank you for responding! It makes me so sad to see that she cannot stop. We used the remote shock collars on them when we were training them around the house (don't jump on visitors, don't pick up the baby toys,etc) we tried using the collar on Zoe again....but it didn't make a difference. The warning beep from the collar seems to work some. We are taking her back to the vet tomorrow...and I am requesting he give her some meds to calm her. I really do not think this is an allergy or "hot spot" issue. Tonight she has her tail bleeding to where it is dripping on the floor.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm shocked to hear what your Veterinarian told you which is completely incorrect.
    It's obvious she has a Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Unfortunately this is NOT a rare problem within the breed. Tail spinning is a serious problem and one that requires extensive training in order to stop or at least minimize the problem. Causes of OCD include:
    • Hereditary / Genetic disorder
    • Stress
    • Anxiety
    • Anal Gland Infection or Inflammation

It's common to see any excited Bull Terrier "Hucklebutt" but there's a big difference between Hucklebutting and tail chasing/Spinning. The problem needs to be correctly early in the dogs life when the training to prevent it is less challenging. Your Bull Terrier is now 1.5 years old and has been doing it for a long time where it's become a habit and a problem. Sadly many dogs are euthanized each year because of OCD especially "Spinners."

Most often Bull Terriers will develop tail spinning from boredom. However, if the problem isn't corrected immediately they will get worse and worse.

In my opinion, I feel one of the number one reasons EBT's develop this problem is from prolonged time spent crated. Crating a Bull Terrier during the night when they sleep isn't a concern but if the Bull Terrier is crated both day and night due to owners leaving the home to work will have a negative effect on any dog especially Bull Terriers.

In the event you are not "over" crating your Bull Terrier and she is receiving plenty of time to exert her energy than you may have a genetic disorder passed down from Sire or Dam.

I can't lie, training her is going to be difficult but not impossible.  We had a Bull Terrier that was rendered to us as a rescue and he was a serious Spinner and when he started there was no "OFF" button. I had him for about 2 weeks and used to exercise the heck out of him in attempt to release some pent up energy which was helping a lot. He was adopted by a gentleman that had familiarity with Bull Terriers and understood he was suffering with OCD. He loved him and wished to work with him. He kept in touch with me and explained it took about a month of tedious training to get him to stop spinning. he claims now that he no longer spins. he did this by lots exercise and outdoors time. He never crated him and allowed the Bull Terrier to be with him all day. During the times he would begin to spin he would tell him "NO" and manually stop him. It would be at that time he would take him outside for more activity. 

Again, it's going to take some training but she does have hope and can be trained to end her spinning.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you so much for the information! My husband works full time and I work a part time so I'm sure crating has played a part in her spinning. I hope we are able to help her, because we do love her and want the best for her.
  • How do you all feel about medicating her? My vet gave us Prozac for the long term and Xanax until the Prozac takes effect.
  • I'm no expert on spinning, but I don't think medication is the way. I believe it's temporary relief more for the owner and doesn't do any good for the dog in the long term. But again, I am no expert and probably shouldn't have even commented. If you feel it's right for your pet, and you see positive results with it, then who am I to judge? Just be careful.
  • I feel that medication is just going to mask the underlying issue. :( hopefully exercise will help!
  • I agree. Did your vet tell you anything more today with the medicine, like how long you should keep her on it? I'm sure Steve will have a better answer for you vs. mine, but I do agree that exercise should help her if at least for a little bit.
    I guarantee the extended time in the crate was the main cause of the problem and exercise will be the key to your success with her. Just continue to scold her when you see her spin and send her outside for some exercise. Throw the ball with her each day and get her well exercised and tired. You're fortunate that you have another Bull Terrier that can help with the process of exercise simply by playing with each other when you have them out together. Spend the time necessary with her and I promise you'll see positive results.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Its going to take time, allot of patience and a whole lot of scolding to get her to stop.  With that being said they are quick learners so they will recognize the scolding to their behavior.  The hard part is the time when they are not monitored.  But keeping them so active that when you are not there they just want to rest will help.  You will see it change but will take some time.  A whole lot of little steps and you will be there shortly. 
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2014
    Not that it's exactly related to this string... This doesn't relate to Zoe....But on the discussion of over-crating, .... We were out at an outdoor restaurant a few weeks ago with the kids... And a young lady came over with the usual .... "OMG, I just love those dawgs! They are sooooo beautiful, I keep telling my husband we should get one, and we want to get a dawg now... Tell me, are they okay to leave all day because my husband and I each have our own businesses and we're out from 8 to 6 every day, at least, and we need a dawg that's okay with being crated all day"...I wanted to pitch my martini in her face, but it didn't want to embarrass the kids.... but tell me....What type of people want / expect a dog that is just "tossed away" for 10 hours a day, only to be out, probably lying around the house for 4/ 5 hours before being tossed back for another 10??? Why don't they get themselves a stuffed giraffe, or one of those Toyota mechanized dogs?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    I would have suggested a turtle for her or possibly a hermit crab which would do fairly well with only 1 or 2 hours of attention per day.  :D

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited October 2015
    Hi all, my Boy Kaizer also has a similar problem to Zoe. He cannot stop himself from spinning at times(ive noticed that he immediately starts spinning when he sees me (only me). He hasn't bitten his taill though.....HOWEVER, I thought Id comment here after reading another thread on this awesome site.....relating to "stud-tail" and treating it with iodine. Kaizers tail has started to bald and initially I thought he was biting it, but Ive just learn of the "stud-tail"condition and that it could also be the cause of the spinning. @ Lacy, perhas you should also give it a read. Hope it helps.....its difficult seeing them unable to stop themselves. Here is the link for ease of reference http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/2233/balding-tail#latest  
  • I've heard the same thing, how they work all day but just looooove how the dogs look.  I immediately stop them and tell them that bull terriers need at least an hour of exercise a day, dedicated exercise.  Truly, I think I might have saved some bull terriers, just like you probably saved one from winding up with the people that wanted to crate it all day.  Geez.

I'm still cracking up at Steve's suggestion for a turtle or hermit crab, lol!  The hermit crab might even get bored and start chewing its shell.
  • It is difficult when both Mom and Dad work. If you can swing it, I have found daycare to be a wonderful thing for Birdie. She is so tired after being there for a few hours that she doesn't have the energy to get into any trouble. She is an only dog so I also arrange play dates and take her to the dog park. Plus we go for walks and I play with her. She is about 8 months old and it takes a lot to provide her with enough exercise every day. Even though I am home all day, I cannot physically meet her exercise needs, so these alternatives have been a huge help for both of us.