Skip to content

Lanky Bull Terrier

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
This discussion was created from comments split from: New family member.
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• Hello all! I'm new to this group and found the forum from Googling "lanky Bull Terrier." My 9-month old EBT female (Murphy) is much longer-legged and lankier than previous bullies I have had. She's about 35 pounds and all legs. I know the pups take a year or so to "fill in," but just wondering if anyone else has had one that is  gangly and wiry. She eats enthusiastically (Nature's Recipe Puppy and a little protein--meat, cottage cheese, etc.) 3 times/day and both her parents were on site at the breeder and appropriately muscular and dense. Murphy is downright feminine! Her activity level is high, which is certainly part of it, I'm sure. My last bully lived to 14 so her puppyhood is a distant memory. Any comments/reassurances? I don't really wish to "bulk her up," just need a reminder of the filling-in timetable.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Welcome to the Forum mbgood!

Could you attach a few current pictures of her so we could have a look at her structure and development?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited March 2014

These may give you some idea. Unfortunately, she doesn't stand still for photos very often, so much of what I have is of her sleeping and doesn't show the perspective as well. Thanks!

-mb-

Murphy show dog.JPG
    710 x 730 - 122K
    Murphy crate.JPG
    348 x 607 - 69K
    Murphy on the couch2.jpg
    720 x 960 - 237K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Love her markings!
    She's still a young pup with a lot of growing and filling out to do. She appears to be more on the Terrier side vice Bullie type. With this said, she may remain a bit on the lean side but her structure will be appropriate. She's most likely a active, fast runner, who's on the prowl every time she's outside. Our female Makoa has a lot of terrier in her too.
    Murphy has just about reached her final height and now is the time she will fill out as she's maturing into her adult stage. It's also a good time to up her diet a little if you wish to put on some mass to her. Attached is a couple raw meat weight gain recipes that I know she'll love and it will surely put weight on her.

pdf
    pdf
    Raw Canine Weight Gain Recipe.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    Canine Fat Logs.pdf
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you so much for your insight! My first experience with bullies was fostering a big, doofy male for a year who was huge and lazy (but oh so lovable). Then I got one of my own, a white female who was smaller but still muscular, who loved to lounge. She died last year and Murphy came along, having a white, muscular dad and tri-color stockier mom, so I have been surprised at this turn of events. You're right, she is a very fast runner, agile and active, and leaps like a Russell. No complaints, just surprised. I haven't seen many EBTs built so svelte.

I am going to use your reipe(s) to make treats for her obedience training and for the dog park--thanks!

mb

• I LOVE her markings! She's beautiful!
  • She is a beautiful girl for sure....I like long legs too! Just ask my wife!  B-)
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Better skinny than overweight for sure... She's fabulous.... If she is too lanky for you just send her over. >:)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Nah, Phil, I think I'll keep her, I'm not at all disappointed with my Smurf, just haven't seen one built like this before. She is a beauty and has a great (still fiesty) demeanor.
    I'm going to see if she will catch a Frisbee--something my other bullies have shown no interest in. If spring ever comes to Minneapolis...
  •  This is why I picked her!

Murphy 1.jpg
    720 x 960 - 263K
  • She's definitely beautiful. I believe she will fit out just nicely. Spud was only around 40 lbs at about 9-10 months and all legs as well. He's a little over a year and its still the same with some filling in the middle like a twinkie.

Anyways, at the end of the day you will still be taking care of a loving pup so just enjoy what matters the most and that's giving her the love as member of the family.
  • What a Cutie!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, As Steve said, she is still quite young and has some time to fill out.
    Bullies are not usually done filling out untill the age of 2 years old-and trust me, ALOT of growing can happen in that time!
    You could also contact the breeder to ask about his lines and how they normally fill out.
    Maybe ask him if she resembles mom or dad, aunty or grandpa,etc.
  • Murphy at 10 months--still lanky, but the fastest pup I've ever had. The snow has finally melted, it's Frisbee time! These pictures were taken a week apart, you gotta love Minneapolis!
    Murphy in the snow.jpg
    720 x 960 - 166K
    Murphy in harness.jpg
    3071 x 2198 - 3M
  • She's a cute pup. She will most def fill out. Here, look at this. Photo on the left he is about 7 months or so. Photo on the right he is under 2 years old I believe. Just give her sometime. I remember how awkward and lanky my pup was. Other people will tell you different but in the bullies I have seen (which is not too many) it seems like 3 years old is when they are done gaining any mass that's not just fat. At 2 years old my boy was 50 to 53 pounds. He's 3 ish now and is about 60-62. Feed her really well and keep her active! She looks fun.
    image.jpg
    534 x 541 - 93K
    image.jpg
    746 x 746 - 155K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Murphy is beautiful, love the harness
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited May 2014
    fontana--that is one beautiful dog! And what a difference between the two stages. I had a female white BT who passed a year ago that at age 14 was still only 45 or so pounds, but more muscular and compact, not so leggy. Yet the male bully I fostered for a year was 65 pounds (after we got him active and trimmed him down a bit).