Skip to content

Buster is gone

edited March 2014 in General
I haven't been on the board much since we got Buster just under two years ago for my daughter and this past Saturday we lost him.  My daughter is devastated that her little buddy is gone but there wasn't much we could do.  Little did we know that for the first year of his life he literally ate every thing he could fit in his mouth.  We never saw him do it but at about a year old we knew something was wrong.  Into emergency surgery he went and the vet removed numerous items throughout his entire digestive tract.  Well, this past weekend he had the same symptoms so we had to do a second surgery.  Turns out he didn't eat anything else but that he never really healed right from the first surgery and there was nothing we could do, he was too far gone.  You never see it coming and the entire time I thought he'd be coming back home.  The hardest thing I ever had to do in my life for sure.  I put my last dog down but this one was my little girls's. The look on her face when I had to tell her he didn't make it is a look a dad will never forget.  We'll miss you buddy...

Comments

• So sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the pain your feeling. I pray everyday that my babies are ok.
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited March 2014
    Eric,
    That is extremely sad news to hear. I can just imagine how upset your daughter as well as entire family must be.
    Buster is no different than most all Bull Terrier puppies wanting to chew up everything that can fit in their mouth. During these "taste tester" moments you usually find out about it after seeing pieces in their stool.  More often than not they pass the foreign objects that they shouldn't have eaten. However, there are times something can get caught in the digestive track which requires surgery. Rocky required surgery a couple years ago as well - http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/63/rockys-surgery#Item_19
    The fact that Buster's initial surgery resulted in him getting ill and requiring exploratory surgery just to find out the root cause was the first surgery itself would have me furious. I'm surprised your Vet even mentioned it vice coming up with some other explanation other than the initial surgery having complications which were the cause of his death.
    I feel terrible you guys had to go through something like this and poor Sydney must be so sad. Buster passing right at the age of maturity when he'd be just getting out of his rambunctious and hyper puppy stages and into a more relaxed and loyal maturity stage.
    If there's anything we can do please let us know. I remember Buster vividly as a puppy and just went back to review his puppy pictures.
    Rest in Peace Buster:
    Buster.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 768K
    Buster and Tinkerbell.jpg
    960 x 540 - 549K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yep, that's him Steve! He was chewing up his toys and we would find pieces laying around but never thought he was swallowing them.  I think the biggest problem was the rope pull toy.  He was eating little pieces here and there but never passed any until it built up and caused a blockage the length of his entire digestive tract.  The first surgery they said was the worst case they had ever seen and he was lucky to make it through it.  This past Friday he started showing the same signs but since our vet wasn't open we took him to the emergency vet. They did two sets of xrays and said it looked like more blockages.  We told them to go ahead and fix the blockages.  When they got in there is when they noticed that it wasn't blockages but the fact that the first surgery was pretty bad.  As his intestines healed they twisted and healed around each other cutting them off and eventually killing parts of them.
  • I'm very sorry to hear this. When I read this post the first thing I did was look for Spud around the house and cuddled with him. I can't imagine this happening to him and would be devastated myself. If there's anything you need let me know.

Regards,
    Mike and Spud
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    So sorry to read that. 

• Very sad to read this.  There's little that hurts more than seeing our children grieving.  Each day will get easier, but the loss of a cherished family member never fully goes away.  So sorry for your family's loss.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I've often said on this forum that, although it's a hard thing to admit, losing a Bullie is often much more devastating than losing certain family members. It can take months to become something remotely resembling human afterwards. I am so sorry for your daughters loss.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel any better, but I wish you all the condolences in the world.
  • Heartbroken is how I feel. I cannot even imagine coming close to what you and your family is going through. They come into our lives for such a short time anyway.

Second guessing always becomes part of the equation. But it does nothing to ease the pain you must all be feeling.

RIP Buster....there are endless green fields, tennis balls, and plenty of ear scratches over the Rainbow Bridge.

• I am so sorry for your loss of Buster.  Our hearts go out to your family and especially your little girl.  We pray that each passing day gets just a little bit brighter,
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Buster. I even remember seeing Buster's pictures posted when he was a baby.  This must be especially hard on your daughter, who has lost her friend. I hope she understands what happened in a way that can leave her at peace with his loss. Thinking of you in this very difficult time.
  • =((
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • OMG my heart is broken for your family!! I'm so so sorry!! I remember my little girl bawling when we lost our shepherds. When we lost our female she cried "I never want another dog again". It's such an awful feeling when you can't kiss the boo boo better. I'll keep your little girl in my prayers.
  • Oh no. I'm so sorry for such a terrible loss. Buster was adorable, and the picture of the two babes dozing together is just precious. I'm so sorry!