Skip to content

hurt dog

My dog has nearly a 4 inch open wound under her left shoulder. I honestly can't afford to take her to the vet. Is there anyway for me to cure her without going to the vet? I'm afraid that if I don't get it to close soon, the wound will get infected causing her to suffer longer.

Comments

• You need to take her to the vet ASAP! If you try to mend it at home, you can cause more harm then good. Last thing you want to try and face is a severe infection, which will cost even more. Most vets have a payment plan option, try calling around. Worse case senario you can try to get donations to help cover some of the cost.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    What was the cause of the injury? If it was from a dog fight infection will set in fast. I don't think the Vet bill be as much as you think. It isn't as though she requires surgery. Maybe a few stitches and some prescription drugs to fight off infection. She deserves this kind of medical treatment. Talk to your Vet and let them know you're financially strapped I'm confident they'll work with you.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Agree with what everyone else has said about the dangers of waiting.  What happened to her?
  • She got into a fight with my brothers dog. I will take her to the vet. This is the 3rd day she's been that way. Surprisingly she isn't showing signs of pain. She's eating and drinking water. What worries me is the light smell coming from the wound.
  • Bull breeds will rarely show signs of any pain or discomfort. Like Steve said above, infection can set in quick from a dog bite and the odor is a sure sign of infection. Hopefully they are able to clean it and stitch it up, but if the infection is bad they might have to add in a small drainage tube. You can't sew up an infection, will only make things way worse. Hope she has a speedy and cheap recovery!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2014
    If I had a Bullie in that condition that I loved I would either sell my Ford pickup or get on my knees to the vet before I let the infection take charge. If the injury had happened 15 minutes ago and I were broke I'd wash it with disinfectant and dry it and glue it with super glue and sit with her day and night until it healed, if it didn't show great signs in 24 hours I'd go to the first points above, beg or pawn.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • She needs antibiotics, to avoid infection...which may have already began.