Skip to content

Introducing...Rodney!

We are thrilled to be welcoming into our home, Rodney (formerly known as "Bruiser").  He's starting his journey home as I type this.  Here's a picture of him heading "South of the Border"...of the great state of North Carolina.
Rodney's homecoming.jpg
1168 x 1165 - 120K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I hope your husband Jeff has a safe and enjoyable trip back home. It was a pleasure meeting him. Good luck with Rodney and keep us all up to date with photos!
    (I think Deuce wanted to leave with Jeff also)

20140222 (9)_338_600.jpg
    338 x 600 - 53K
    20140222 (10)_338_600.jpg
    338 x 600 - 53K
    20140222 (11)_338_600.jpg
    338 x 600 - 55K
    20140222 (12)_338_600.jpg
    338 x 600 - 52K
    20140222 (13)_600_338.jpg
    600 x 338 - 52K
    20140222 (6)_600_338.jpg
    600 x 338 - 73K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Hahaha!  Yes, they apparently whispered to him that they want to come to Mardi Gras for spring break.  He'll be back with a van.  :)
    LOL. I'll have to hide my Bullies from you now.  :D

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Especially if you see us pull up in a school bus.  :)  Rodney is wonderful.  Our entire family is thrilled.  I absolutely love Rodney's expression in that picture...what a beautiful, happy BT.  Thank you and Craig for the honor to welcome him into our family.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited February 2014
    Rodney! What a larney and lovely name..... Certainly a step up from Bruiser.... Hopefully he learns it soon and we wish you the very best with your new treasure.... Please keep us updated with your tribulations and your adorations.... And photos of course!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Hooray for Rodney! Hooray for exiled and Jeff!  =D>
  • Thanks for the well wishes.  We are in love at first sight.  He's still on the ride home...it's a loooong ride.  All reports are that he's enjoying the ride and a perfect match for us.

My kids got to name him, and I like it, too.  I'll definitely be posting pictures.  :)

• Congrats on the addition to your family!! Rodney is a lucky boy.

Also is that Rocky in the bottom picture?! He is MASSIVE
  • Looks like Rodney is loving the front seat for the travel.  He is a very sweet young EBT, and so happy he is going to a great forever home.  Izzabell is missing her playmate.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Hoorah for Rodney! \m/
    I'm so glad he found a great home!
  • Rodney has been very busy investigating the neighborhood.  If he sees steps, he wants to run up on every porch like he lives there, lol.  He is STRONG, so it's been quite a workout trying to teach him to heel.  I'm sure he's missing Izzabell, too.  Sounds like they became good buddies.  I think I'm going to take a nap while he's napping.  :)
  • Glad they made it home safely.
    Jeff must be exhausted from that drive! Ditto on what Xtracho said.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Congrats on your new addition! He's a stunner!
  • Thanks, Boyda!  I was keeping a secret, lol. 

Xtracho & Steve, YES!  I hugged Jeff several times when he walked through the door, and tried to do as much as I could so that he could get some sleep.  It turned out to be about 15 hrs of straight driving with Rodney.  About 4 hours from home, it was late and fog was starting to get thick, but just about when he was going to stop and get a hotel, he entered clear weather for the remainder.  I think he was so happy to be out of the fog, it boosted him for the final hours. 

If it wasn't for Craig giving him a travel crate, I don't know that it would have worked out.  Thank you so much, Craig!  You gave us great advice for how to help Rodney travel well, and it all worked. 

Thank you for the Bullies of NC families.  It was a real treat for Jeff.  He said he's never seen so many BTs in his life, lol. 

Rodney has been making tremendous strides in learning to heel.  We have both been working with him constantly throughout the day, and in two days, it is incredibly remarkable.  Rodney is a smart, wonderful BT that is aiming to please and is taking and giving lots and lots of love.  Pictures soon, I promise. 
    :D  Yes, exiled remained silent on her adoption process of Rodney. Reminds me of someone else who recently received a gorgeous EBT from overseas.    :-?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • That is awesome that he is training well on the leed.  He is very smart.  Your welcome for the travel kennel, and so glad the travels are over.
  • Rodney is really enjoying the new sounds and sights and smells.  He is so intrigued by the fog horns on the Mississippi River at night.  He stops every time.  He likes the big, old oak trees lining the street for "his business". 

He has been having a great day today with long walks and playing until exhausted.  Today has been a very good day with the leash-walking.  Rodney is so smart, and loves praise.

Last night was a trip to PetSmart, near closing time so that it wouldn't be too crowded.  He did well most of the time, but the shopping carts started to startle him, so we left and will try it again soon.  He settled down on the floor of the car quite nicely.

He's been visiting with neighbors and guests have come to meet him.  He has a blast playing on the deck with visitors, too.  So far, he seems to be settling in very nicely. 
    That's good to hear. I'm confident within a short period of time he'll feel right at home and adjust perfectly.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Photos! Photos! Photos of The Rod please!!!... I know it takes a long time to fill up the roll, send the film into the Photo Labs to have them developed, and then order prints and get them home and scan the suckers for us to see... But we are kinda desperate.
    You got us all wishing we heard the MISI fog horns too!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Pictures!  Rodney went for a stroll around the neighborhood, so we took a few pictures.  We stopped to visit with a neighbor for a while, so he had fun on the porch. 
    rodney 5.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1019K
    rodney 6.jpg
    2591 x 2435 - 735K
    rodney 7.jpg
    2968 x 2375 - 836K
    rodney 8.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Great Pictures! He looks happy and well taken care of. Thanks for sharing the photos!!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    He looks as happy as a pig in poo!  So glad!
  • He is absolutely gorgeous!!
  • Thanks everybody!  He played with his new ball for HOURS today.  It was a gorgeous day.  He looks very handsome in his new crawfish collar, too.  :)
    rodney 9.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 911K
  • Hooray for Cajun Country Rodney! He should be a hit at Jazz Fest and on Bourbon Street! So happy for you exiled...and Rodney too!
  • Has Rodney seen a real crawfish yet?
  • Lol!  No, he hasn't seen a crawfish yet.  My brother puts on the absolute best crawfish boils, so he'll see plenty soon--pre and post boiling.  They have lots of land and it's a party house, and everyone is anxious to meet him.  When his first crawfish encounter happens, I'll take pictures.

Rodney is going to the dog spa tomorrow.  It will be interesting to hear how he does at the spa.  They have doggy day care that I could include, but I want to wait and not stress him out more than the bath.  I think he'd probably enjoy the other dogs, but I want to get him home as soon as his pampering session is finished. 

He has had a blast playing with the construction guys that are tearing up the streets outside of our home.  He wants to jump in their truck and eat their paperwork.  He only needs a yellow vest and he's ready.

It's been rather upsetting the number of people that don't have their dogs on leashes, despite leash laws.  He's getting more used to city life, which is very gratifying and relieving.  I didn't like to see him so confused or startled by the activity and sounds.  He's definitely having calmer walks, but it seems like there's always a trigger that makes the last part of the walk difficult--a loose dog or someone coming up jogging right up behind him on the sidewalk.

I used to take my other BT to parades.  We didn't do that with Rodney.  He did, however, love the music of the marching bands which were loud since we live close to the parade routes.  There were also lots of loud sound systems playing music.  His favorite music seems to be bounce music and hip hop.  Rodney loves music, as long as it's rhythmic.  He cannot stand the neighbor that keeps practicing drums without rhythm.  He barks the entire time. 

We are having a grand time.  Rodney loves everyone in the family.  He's met plenty of family and friends and neighbors and loves everyone.  I am thrilled that our home is his forever home.
  • I can't wait to see the photos of his first craw fish venture!
  • He looks great.  Thank you so much for sharing and take great care of him.  He really is a sweet bullie.
  • Thank you, Craig, for everything.  He really is so happy.  It really is like he finally found his home.  Everyone at the doggy resort place were blown away by how smart and perfect his temperament is, and how gorgeous he is on top of it all..  He is a honey, and quite honestly, he is perfect. 
  • Great new beginnings for the exiled family and Rodney! We will have to plan a road trip with Maya to NOLA and have a little bullie get together!
  • Yes!  We can find some "bullie friendly" patios to enjoy the city.  A bullie get together sounds nice.  We were talking about that today and tempted to take him out to a place with a patio, but he's not to the point where he could sit still for any length of time.  Wonder how that's worked out for others with BTs and if it's a reachable goal.
  • Awesome for the doggie resort.  God bless you all.

• Good to see Rodney found a good loving home. More pics of the two together if possible.
  • Maya and Rodney haven't met yet, but when they do, there will be pictures! 

Until we can get a duo picture, here's a picture of Rodney on the run with his blue ball which he adores.  He's got on his new pelican collar and looking more and more like a NOLA dog every day.  His leash walking is still improving.  As a matter of fact, some neighbors have stopped to tell me how much better he's doing, on their own.  He's soooooo smart and sooooooo sweet. 
    rodney 15.jpg
    1927 x 1244 - 327K
  • May God bless you and your family richly, too, Craig.  I know where Rodney got his pure, sweet heart of gold...from growing up in your family.  Please know you've got friends that love you in NOLA...forever!
  • And Steve's got friends that love him forever in NOLA, too.  :)
  • He is surely a handsome guy exiled.
  • Thanks, Xtracho.  You've been a good friend.  It will be a fun time when Maya and Rodney meet.  :)  Here's some pictures of an alligator toy that I think you'll enjoy.  The humidity is slowing him down a little, but he's still got lots of energy to go, go, go.
    rodneys gator 1.jpg
    2176 x 2919 - 819K
    rodneys gator 2.jpg
    2564 x 2428 - 831K
    rodneys gator 3.jpg
    1854 x 2199 - 548K
    rodneys gator 4.jpg
    2219 x 2352 - 638K
    rodneys gator 5.jpg
    1500 x 1990 - 473K
  • He'll acclimate to the NOLA climate. Heck even the people have to get used to it; being below sea level and all. And I was privileged to share your little secret too! We will get those two together very soon.
  • The humidity would slow me down too! But I doubt that's gonna last long so enjoy it now! lol!
  • Rodney has been so excited having his older brothers home from college for the summer.  We all absolutely love Rodney and feel like he's been a part of our family forever.  He's still enjoying being a puppy, but also showing some maturing here and there.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if he had been placed in another home, because he has fit perfectly and brought so much life and enjoyment into our home. 

He's been discovering some of the dog parks around town, and some are better than others.  The humidity is hard on him, like it is for all of us.  Regardless of how hot it is outside, he prefers to be outside running with his brothers than being inside soaking up the a/c. 

We are so thankful to Craig and Steve and everyone at Bullies of NC for allowing us to bring him into our family.
  • We are nearing the anniversary of Rodney entering our lives, and it's hard to think back on what life was like before he came into our home.  When we first considered him as a rescue, it had to be too good to be true that he was looking for a home.  It is one of the few times where the saying "too good to be true" has been incorrect.  He is an amazing bull terrier, and he has thrived and is enjoying the life he always deserved. 

He is so loved, gets plenty of exercise and fun at the dog park, and is given the best of everything.  He is a happy bull terrier, and we are so happy to have him as a member of our family.  We are eternally grateful to Craig and Steve for choosing us for Rodney's forever family. 
    Rodney happy.jpg
    1224 x 879 - 54K
    That's such a touching testimony! He sounds like he may just have rescued you instead!!!! Great job!  More stories!!!
  • This is a great story about the rescue of Rodney. Shortly after your rescue of Rodney, we rescued Champ. My husband and I are also very grateful to Steve and Julie. Champ, a.k.a. Pookey, Pookesta, is the best thing that ever happened to us. We got Pookesta on March 2 of last year. He is soooooo good !!! He is very affectionate, which I'm very surprised considering how he was when we first met Pookey. Best of luck of with Rodney.
    I am loved.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 182K