Skip to content

When and How to Induce Vomiting

It is no secret that our breed can get into some serious stuff sometimes. Some of you may know this but thought I would put it on the forum. First of all, do NOT induce vomiting if the animal has consumed a caustic substance such as gas or bleach; contact an animal hospital in this event as the substance will burn the dogs esophagus when it is expelled. What if he has swallowed a toy, eaten some rat poison, consumed unneeded medication, or drank some antifreeze? Well I am not a vet but but have plenty of experience, trust me. All you need is some FRESH 3% Peroxide and a way to inject it into the dogs mouth, I like a turkey baster. In the case of swallowing a poison this should be performed within 2 hours. The amount of Peroxide recommended varies depending on the source. I have found through my own experience that 1 tablespoon per 30 lbs. of weight is sufficient not to exceed two tablespoons. Once you give your Bully the peroxide he should vomit within a few minutes; I made the mistake one time by giving him old Peroxide that lost it's "fizz" and it did not work, so make sure it is fresh. Also, please understand that if he eats a poison he may still need vet attention as some require an antidote, such as rat poison. Vitamin K is a common antidote for anticoagulant rodenticides. My friends BT has had multiple obstructions from eating foreign objects and has required several surgeries to save her dogs life. My Pete has eaten entire stuffed animals, blankets, you name it. I feel very confident that this trick has saved him from an obstruction. If debris makes it to the small intestines and he can't pass it though stool, surgery will likely be required, so time is of the essence.

Comments