Skip to content

AKC Show Judging Procedures

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
For those interested in attending a future AKC Show (conformation event)  I thought I would provide a very good visual breakdown of how the judging procedures are conducted. I seen this in an AKC flyer and thought I'd scan it so it could be provided to others that had questions regarding specific classes or types on wins.

AKC Show Judging Procedure.jpg
1872 x 1176 - 974K
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• Good info! I know we were just talking about this! Thank you!!!
  • I would like to learn more about how to show.is there a discussion about it?

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    There is no specific discussion about it but you could make one. What questions do you have?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I would like to prepare Baltas for show.he is 5.2 months now. I think that any info/tadvice would be helpful for me. Like how to prepare him,how to groom for shoe,what show to go first,judging.i believe that people who show their dogs,have a lot to say.i would appreciate it.
    The best thing you could do first would be to attend a show just to watch as others groom their Bull Terriers and practice with them.
    This is the website to use for researching Shows: http://www.infodog.com/showinfo/showCal.htm
    Look for the All Breed (AB) in your area. There may even be some Specialty (S) classes for Terriers that you could look into also besides the (AB) shows.
    On the website you may want to look into the "Past Results" to ensure there were Bull Terriers that participated in last years show. All too often you'll find that there isn't very much Bull Terrier attendances at most shows. People are usually trying there best to attend shows that will result in a Major which require a certain amount of dogs/bitches in each class.
    I'd be more than happy to answer any specific question you have but with a question like "How to Prepare Him or How To Groom Him" the answer would be very extensive to write in one reply with details.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • thanks,this site is very helpful.there is a lot to look at.i found AB show in Chicago in February.i will be planning to go there to see how it works.
    Awesome! Did you check to see how many BT's were at last years show?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Just went back to research the Past Entries and unfortunately it's either the first show they've sponsored there or they don't have historical data. Hopefully, there will be some Bull Terriers that attend that show. It's a gamble with EBT's because you never can tell which shows will result in good numbers especially those they will create Majors. Often club members converse between themselves and plan out where they wish to enter and compete amongst themselves with enough of them to create a Major.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I went to Skokie valley club show at the beginning if December.but it was wrong day and did not see bulls there.somebody from there told me that only 4 bulls registered(not sure if white or colored or both together)?

• If anyone is in California, there is a Bull Terrier Specialty in Sacramento in April. I'll be entering my fella, should be fun with all the bullies coming up!
  • How you start earning points?
  • Basically, your dog has to win in his class. The more dogs you beat, the more points you get. For example, if it's just two dogs entered, the most points you'd win would be one, cause you wouldn't count your entry. If there were 10 total, the most points you could win would be 9. You have to gain points to earn championship, and so many best of breed before you get that title. It's actually pretty simple, hope I made sense.
  • It makes sence.I just new here and don't know nothing about showing.so that means I go to ANY(any club) all breed/specialty show and compete with other white ones.does puppy group counts too,or you start earning in junior group? how many points you have to earn to get the championship?
  • The AKC requires a dog to get a total of 15 points with two major wins to become a champion. The majors must be won under different judges and at least one other judge must award some of the remaining points – so you need to win under at least three different judges. They have different classes for the dogs to compete, 6-9 months, 9-16(9-18 if female) and then open, which is 16+.

You don't have to be apart of a club to show, but it is very helpful. I'm new to showing, and my club has helped me out greatly with awesome advice. All you have to do to show is find a show near you and enter. To find a show, just look at the AKC calander (http://www.akc.org/events/search/), you can then request a hard copy entry form from the club that is hosting and mail it in, or just put your info into this website and enter that way. I find the website easier, as it keeps your imformation so whenever you enter into another show you don't have to keep filling everything out. http://www.infodog.com/entry/
  • You don't have to search for strictly Bull Terrier Clubs, most dog shows are all breed, but a host kennel club will be named, so don't be thrown off when Boxer Club of Blah Blah hosts, it will say all AKC-Recognized Breeds on the desription and you can enter.
  • what those numbers mean? I found last years show info and by the white bull terrier was  Total: 1 - 0 - 1 - (0-0) - 0 so there was only one white bull at the show?
    @Boyda - I wish you could earn 9 points in any show but that's not possible. The most you'll see (despite attendance) is a 5 point major. I don't wish to get technical and confuse anyone but points and majors are determined by breed and division. Here's the AKC points breakdown for divisions: http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/point_schedule.cfm

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I should have clarified that better, I know you can't get 9 points if your dog wins his class, I just confused my thoughts last night cause the day before I was reading how dogs are invited to Westminster. Sorry! This head cold isn't suiting me too well!
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Speaking of Wesminster, the two EBT, colored and white and the one Mini sure looked good. 

I need to attend a local show so that I can admire the EBT breed close-up.
  • Would love to see Yum Yum at least take best of her group at Westminster...she's done do well these past couple of years.

And the Mini was cracking me up! He just wanted to eat all the snacks off the ground... :D
  • I didn't want to start an entire new topic for this...

Westminster 2015 is going on right now (the Terrier group is up Tuesday 2/17 if you want to watch) and I've just read that only ONE white bull terrier entered?? What gives? I mean bull terriers started out as white, that is the true color of the bull terrier. Are people just so bored with white they don't breed it anymore? Or is breeding just getting worse? :(

That's sad. However, I'm sure there was more than one white Bull Terrier invited to the show but obviously those qualified and invited to the show could not attend for some reason or another. Looks like that white Bull Terrier will become an automatic win for Best in Class and Breed in Breed which will have him/her competing in Group.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Those two EBT were beautiful and that White Mini was buffed.  Hope my mini fills out like that.
  • We watched it last night and, as expected, Murphy ran right up to the TV to view the festivities up close and personal. Funny how as the terrier group went on after the bullies, every time the camera would scan by them again, they were always "off task." Real dogs!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited February 2015
    I watched the finals tonight and must say that I am totally disgusted in (not only) the Terriers Group "judge's" selections....  The standard EBT's were fabulous and the mini was just a total treat...., I love all dogs (more than I fancy humans) but those fluffy little things can only appeal to fruits and fairies... There were also other terriers that deserved awards other than the Bullies too. Frankly I think the whole dog judging community has become a parlour game that has little to do with the standard of dogs and more to do with promoting the perverted interests of their queer friends.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I didn't really disagree with the winner of the terrier group...the Skye Terrier looked fabulous and frankly had better hair than I do. The white Bull Terrier looked fabulous to me (but I have no idea what judges look for) and to me I think at least one of the bull terriers deserved to be pulled out at the end of the judging. But the fact that not a single bullie breed got any recognition...??? PFF.
  • @philsergeant
    I agree. Who amongst us will ever forget Rufus in 2006? I have no idea who the winners were from any other year, only that I almost always disagree with the picks. But I will forever be able to answer a Trivia Night question (should it arise) regarding Westminster '06, burned in my memory forever.
     In my family, we refer to the fluffy little monstrosities as dogs who should come with a boot when purchased, but then, we obviously have our preference (and, no, I am not a proponent of dog abuse ever, but seriously, there are the yippers and fluffies, then there are real dogs, such as ours!).
    I have nothing against fluffy yappers, I really understand that people whose mother didn't allow them to have or play with enough dolls when they were small need something to compensate. but WHY put them in the same group as real dogs...???? Let those fur hangers have a group of their own, and find some real men and women to judge real dogs.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    I agree. It always looks odd when I have a Bullie that makes it to Group and I see him or her up there standing next to a Scottish Terrier or a Fox Terrier. I can see them competing in group with Staffordshire Terriers and similar Bully breeds but some of the Terrier breeds have absolutely no resemblance in shape, size, weight, color, or character. 

Group.jpg
    980 x 551 - 163K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    It comes down to the judges.... I mean you can understand them, they think they are meant to pick out the cutest, floppy little fur-ball lapdog on earth... and right in the middle of them there's this gorgeous, big, strong, character filled REAL dog... what are they meant to do... ignore them, that all the wimps know how to do.
  • You know, I get picking on the dogs in the Toy Group...those are foo foo sissy dogs and after having a Bull Terrier I always feel like I'm going to break them when I pet them. They feel so fragile. But some of the terriers...I think they just get silly haircuts. Scottish Terriers (at least the ones I've met) are sassy, bossy, and sometimes downright mean. And they got some meat on their bones. Jack Russels/Russels/Parsons are all more annoying than actually dominant, but their definition and agility is far more impressive than the likes of a Chihuahua. I've met a lot of sweet Westies, but they will hold their ground just like a bullie will, and sadly their are victim to silly haircuts as well.

Now that being said the Bullies were still ROBBED!!! Best in Show every year, imo...