Skip to content

Torn cruciate ligament

Mia tore her ACL this past Wednesday. Took her to the vet to confirm this and got some pain meds. Have a consultation for surgery tomorrow. Has anybody hD this happen to their BT? How was recovery? How is your pup doing 6 months after surgery? 1 year? And so on? any advice?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Mia. I wish I could help answer your questions and concerns but I have yet to have any of my EBT's suffer from a torn ACL.
    Poor girl. Please keep us posted on her progress towards recovery.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Wow! Sorry, I feel for you and her and hope she gets better but I haven't experienced that with any dog, least alone Bullies.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • That's tough! Good luck with surgery, I don't think there's any way around that one.
  • Aww, I hope surgery goes well!
  • My girl tore her cruciate ligament when sh was about 10 months old.

I'll admit it was a horrible period as I took her to the vets with a limp and was expecting/hoping to be told she had something in her paw.

She's now approaching 11 years old and apart from the 200mm scar you'd never be able to tell.

I've started giving her joint care biscuits/treats as a precation but that's only been in the last year or so.

All, in all the recovery powers of Bullies are incredible. Your hardest job will be keeping the bandage on her leg and the cone on her head.

• edited January 2014
    Well went to the ortho this morning. I was hurting more than Mia as he did a very thorough exam. He pushed, pulled, twisted, and turned and my girl held it together. Doc says if there was any tear he would have gotten some sign from her.

Being that she is 9.5 months the growth plate in front of the tibia has yet to fully mature and surgery would not be an option right now.

Soooo....given that we couldn't do surgery and she is handling any pain or tenderness better than the day of the accident we are going to slow play it and let her chill out for another week. Luckily she loves her kennel and has no problem chilling all day and coming out for short bathroom breaks. Been keeping her happy with kongs/peanut butter and deer antlers.

She's definitely walking better and back at a "trot" instead of a limp. She still favors he opposite leg more so I don't know if we completely dodged a bullet or if this wil continue to be a problem. Will keep y'all posted!

Mia says hi! That's her spot while we cook...
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    She looks Terrifik still! Let's hope it heals on its own. You may have the only vet that's totally honest... Most of them will operate out of "an abundance of caution" or, translated from pidgin: " in order to ensure they can make that expensive purchase next year".... I hope she'll be back kayaking soon.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited January 2014
    Yea I was quite suprised to have a professional opinion that wasn't about making easy money.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's great news to her Mia is on the road to recovery and her injuries weren't that bad.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It's not exactly the same, but Quinn basically shattered her tibia when she was 10 months old. Broke it into several pieces and had a second fracture at the top of her tibia called a tibia avulsion fracture. She went into surgery (no option really) and has a plate, screws, wires & pins holding everything together. It was basically a No Fun Nine Weeks period, and now no one ever guesses she even had a problem! They are very resilient. Just be sure she rests as much as she can...definitely the hardest part.

How is she doing now though? It's been almost two weeks, I'm kind of digging this thread up
  • Glad to hear this information where Roxanne sprained her leg I want to keep an eye out. It has been three weeks and still slight limp . I hope Mia gets better soon!
  • She's like a real life Frankenweenie! Lol! Glad she's ok, what a scare!