Skip to content

Bumps on Head

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
This discussion was created from comments split from: Skin Allergies with Bull Terriers.
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• We are having a problem with Claxxton's head that started to show up a few days ago.  He has patches of bumps on top of his head.  Can anyone here tell us what causes these bumps, or what we can do about it.  I don't know if it's a skin alergy.  The bumps are not red.  The one dark spot, well, we know what that is.  If I scratch to top of his head clumps of hair folicles fall out, root & all.  We have him on A Taste of Wild.
    1-16-2014 #2 001.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Can you take a picture?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited January 2014
    I was kinda able to click the pic she posted.image
    image.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
    I never seen that photo posted. Thanks for providing it.

The thinning on the center of the head is fairly common in this breed especially when their immune system is working overtime. I've mentioned a few times in the past that Bull Terriers have a tendency to get a small bald spot (usually scaly and hard) about the size of a dime. The best way to describe it would be as though someone dropped a little super glue on the center of the head. Another common spot it sometimes shows up is at the base of the tail - Musk Gland.
    Vets often will claim it to be localized demodectic mange. The bumpy red spots often accompany the larger round hard spot on the center of the head. On colored Bull Terriers these are often not noticed, only the hard bald spot on the center of the head is.
    To date I still am not totally convinced exactly what it is. I would call it localized mange if it wasn't for the fact that it always shows up in the exact same area and usually about the same size. It usually occurs with young Bullies from the ages of 1-3 years old. It's also a condition that oddly disappears after a long while even while left untreated. I remember Kolohe having one about 7 years ago and I have seen them on other Bullies as well.
    One thing I have noticed is that when I started using Nupro Gold on rescues that came in with this mark on their head, tail, or both is slowly just went away. Now I use NuVet instead of Nupro Gold and having the same success. I truly believe it has a lot to do with their immune system. Often I see or hear about EBT's getting excellent nutrition and still suffer with thinning of the fur on the head, muzzle, feet, chin, and under the neck. My recommendation is always to provide them with a supplement that will help their immune system. Let's face it, EBT's don't always have the best immune systems thus the reason they tend to be so sensitive to some foods (especially grain) as well as other pollens, grass, etc from outside. If the immune system can be helped to counter these ailments you won't see the break outs and the coat on the EBT will become thicker and healthier.
    If it were me and I were to treat Claxxton I would start him on a daily supplement and put some Bag Balm on his head to help heal the red  bumpy irritations and soften that round hard spot.
    Out of curiosity are you seeing any thinning of his hair on his feet and toes? Does he have a hard bald spot on his Musk Gland located at the root of his tail?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I can see them as an outlined box with no pic but was able to copy it and post.
  • Thanks Stoges_mom for the help with my pic.  This is the only place I have trouble with my pics, but it's our computer.

Thanks Steve, you may have solved more than one problems.  Yes, Claxxton keeps a sore at the base of his spine, on top of his tail.  He still spins, so we thought he was just injuring himself when spinning.  (He is better about spinning.  When we see it we distract him.)  He also licks his feet, so we bought sour apple spray to stop that.  Yes, there is thinning of his hair on his feet & toes.  If it's a form of mange or skin problem, maybe all his problems are related.  The spots on his head are bumps.  Hard little bumps.  Anyway, I started him on NaturVet Vita Pet Vitamins & Minerals.

• I'll try to upload a pic of Claxxton spinning outside the sliding glass window.

photo 1-5-2014016_zpscc284c1a.jpg

edited January 2014
    Well, he may have some other areas of concern that I figured he would based on the way his head looked but on a good note it is't hard to clear up. I don't anything about NaturVet Vita Pet Vitamins so I tried looking up some information on the product to see if there was any mention on it helping the immune system. Unfortunately, I didn't see any mention of it. However, any supplement that's providing essential vitamins is bound to help the immune system. Give it a try and see how it works. In the event you aren't seeing any improvement you may want to start him on another product that's better suited in boosting the immune system as well as providing necessary vitamins.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks Steve.  I'm going to look for Nupro Gold or NuVet.

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2014
    Marco also gets " the crusty little spots that scab and fall off with clumps of hair", and when he does I blame it on myself because I have solved it in the past, but it takes a lot of work.... Mostly because you never know where they are going to show up.... But they are typically on the top of the head and side of the face, the base of the tail and on his haunches.... If you regularly rub coconut oil into those areas they don't show up... But rubbing coconut oil is troublesome because you have to really rub it in to get passed the coat and into the skin... Second because they are "oily" when done and we have to put them out on the patio to soak in and then rub them down with a towel an hour or so later, otherwise they "grease up" the furniture or whatever they sit / lie on.... You could, we have, done it before bedtime and let the night soak it in ( up I'm normally too pooped at 10pm). But, if you use the white thick coconut oil ( if I have a pic I'll attach) they definitely don't show up... At one stage Marco had about 20 around his rump and I panicked and rubbed it in every couple of days and they disappeared after 2 weeks.... and 4 months later he never had another one in that area. They good news is that if you rub their feet with coconut oil ( I have found, I can't promise that everyone will find) that solves the brown "fungus" that they lick at between the toes too.... Great stuff coconut oil. My ( fantasy) girlfriend from Hawaii is also convinced of that. :-((
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 227K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • After treating any skin condition topically (the brown stuff - yeast infections) you can always switch to feeding it to them orally as a daily supplement to keep skin irritations at bay. Also less oily and messy. :)

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Quinn, what daily supplements have you found work best?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Oh, wow!  Going to get some coconut oil.  Right now I am trying the Bag Balm.  That's oily also.  Putting it on his feet, top & bottom.  Thanks for the help.  :)