Skip to content

Melo's update

Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in a while because of work, school and down time with my bullie. Melo is doing really well and at 4 months weighs 31 pounds. I love this little Big guy, some photos are a must
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 1M

Comments

• Wow, he's a big one and looking great.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    He's looking good Atiba!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Wow! Big boy! He's sooo cute :)
  • edited January 2014
    Is that the play area you made for him?  It looks like it's working out well.  He's so beautiful.  He's probably kind of cold and would like to come down south and stay with me for a while.  :)  Just kidding.  Look at that smile in the last picture. 

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2014
    Great to see Melo again! Now go & sit in the corner as punishment for keeping us waiting so long :-)
    He looks great ... Glad the play pen's working out well... Seems you anticipated the gnawing tendency well and saved the base boards. You got to do something about getting him to keep his tail from wagging while you are taking photos. ;-) His paws look fab... Looks like he even has fur growing between the toes they look so clean.... Remember. More pics, less punishment!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • He is super I think he wants to be cold and come north!!!! Haha
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for all you comment guys, I will try my best to update with the pictures.
  • Can't forget about my bullie lovers
  • Atiba, he looks great.  Not that long ago he was that puppy you came to see.  You have feeding him well.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Thanks everyone !!!! I love all the comment, but I have a little problem. Melo is not doing well on victor grain any more, I'm either going to switch to blue buffalo or taste of the wild. Any suggestions on which one I should transition him too?
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 711K
  • Aww I'm sorry to hear that!! That pic is to die for though!
    How has Melo reacted to Victor? How long was she on it and what's the problem now?
    What else she getting besides the Kibble?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Stoegers is great and enjoying the snow!
  • He @philsegeant, it's giving him very soft stools and since I have gotten a new bag of victor premium. Which is about 3 weeks ago
  • I just started Spud on Victor's GF Yukon Salmon and he's doing well on it compared to the TOTW Pacific Stream. All stool has been dark solid with no mess but every dog is different. When I first got Spud I had him on TOTW Bison which is all life stages and he did poorly on it.

Maybe the type of meat in the Victor?
    edited January 2014
    Are your dogs on Kibble alone? And when u change over brands, are you doing it gradually?
  • Melo looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! As for food, Apollo didn't like Victor. He was starting to get bored of TOTW so we switched to BBW. He didn't like that either....Now he is on Simply Nourish GF. Poops are good and we get less gas. Stoeger's mom, told me to try some chicken broth if he got picky again. We haven't had to do that yet, but I figured I"d share her idea.
  • Not currently feeding victor but I went through 3-4 bags of Victor ALS. Stools did seem a little on the softer side. Nothing completely unmanageable though unless he was over fed then it was really soft towards the end(which is normal for overfeeding). I was experimenting with how much to feed at the time because he was really active and needed the extra food. Don't over think it too much! Just find what works and go with it!
    edited January 2014
    I don't want to be a pain-in-the-a.... I just want to learn.... I understand the kibble changes/results everyone is having, but nobody seems to answer whether their kids are on Kibble Only diets.... Boohoo ! :-?
  • I feed a kibble diet Phil :)
  • @phil he was on a kibble only diet with the victor, he's not on BBW with meat and sometimes tuna. Stools are solid again
    Great Atiba, I am sure the "mixed" diet helps... I'm not a great fan of "kibble only"... maybe it works for some dogs... Leslie, are you happy with results?... it sure would be far less work!
  • Apollo is mainly kibble. He gets eggs on the weekends with his kibble and I have premade sweet potato and green bean hamburgers I will substitute for a cup of kibble about once a week.
  • I am Phil absolutely no issues other than genetically!!! Their coats look great! They do get egg bones and of course the salmon oil. They eat fine and I've never had issues.
  • I do try and switch out the flavors of food and if theirs a sale on another grain free or high fish content food such as canidae I just mix it in with their regular food little by little gives them a change in flavor and still grain free so no screaming shits.
    Having many Bull Terriers I can contest that stool is different per dog regardless if they are on the same exact diet. I'll also say that providing any type of dog the same exact dry kibble (only) food everyday for weeks on end will bore any dog and eventually they'll slowly decrease in appetite thus losing proper weight and energy. As Bull Terriers get older if they start losing their energy or take to the couch for hours on end they will eventually start picking up weight. Only it won't be weight from muscle or mass just excess fat which will slow them down even more. Kolohe is a good example of this. She developed arthritis (something I learned later that was inherit in the Windy Knoll Bloodline which came from her mothers side) in her front paws which slowed her down considerably. Currently she's on half rations and still has problems losing weight.
    Cyra is a very big female that weights about 72 pounds right now. She is tall, thick, and muscular. She can eat anything without any negative effects. Nitro and Sooner are the same way. However, there are many occasions where one or two of my Bullies will have loose stool from something new introduced to their diet. Puppies are young adolescent dogs are more susceptible to loose stool due to their digestive system and immune system which is still developing.
    Something I always tell people is to experiement with a few different types of quality grain free kibble until you find one that your EBT truly enjoys eating and does well on. I also recommend changing up their diet by adding other supplements to their kibble. This is not only good for them but keeps their appetite strong. I have to admit there isn't a day that goes by that my Bull Terriers eat the same exact meal. I'm always adding different things to their diet which includes an array of different raw meats, fish, vegetables, broth, potato, etc. 
    During the times I'm fostering a rescue that was rendered to us I always start off with providing them with a grain free kibble mixed with chicken broth. I then start adding mild ingredients like potato and/or vegitables and eventually start adding cooked meats. In the event they are in my care for a prolonged period of time I will slowly introduce raw meats and fish. Cooked rice with chicken broth is something many dogs enjoy mixed in their kibble if they're being a finicky about eating.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I've always read you shouldn't mix things with kibble because it digests at different rates? I don't even know what to believe anymore, I read so much stuff!! 8-} Quinn is on an all kibble diet, but sometimes she'll get little snacks or treats like peanut butter, cheese, a pinch of meat (raw or cooked), some noodles, you know, whatever she talks me into giving her basically. She gets coconut oil as a treat, separately. The only time I add stuff to her food is usually if she's sick or stinky (dollup of yogurt/pumpkin/sweet potato).

So is there any truth behind this don't-add-stuff-to-kibble thing? Should I be putting something in her kibble? All I do right now is switch the flavor every time I buy a new bag.
    I've been mixing with kibble for years and have never had an issue.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Must just be a raw thing. I've also read that you're not supposed to mix wet food and dry food, but that one seems a little far fetched to me as they would both be processed anyway. Maybe I'll start giving her some good toppers on her food. Not that she's picky or anything. ;)
  • Thanks for all the feed back, I really appreciate it. Melo is doing Very good right now since the switch to blue buffalo. I just weighed him this morning and he's 40 pounds. I think he's closing in on the 5 month mark soon. Here's a picture of him trying to destroy an elk antler!!!!!
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Goodness, he's a big boy! Mine's full grown at 40 pounds lol. Glad to hear he's doing better. :)
  • Melo at 44 pounds begging for a banana :) love my boy
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Melo is looking GREAT! Thanks for sharing the photo!!!   :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com