Skip to content

Red bumps on my girls head - Help!

Hi all,
I am new to the forum all the way from Toronto, Canada! I have a 6 month old female EBT named Storm. I was hesitant to start a new thread as I have been reading and there is a lot of useful information on this forum but I'm a bit stumped with my girl. We originally started her on blue buffalo wilderness food but approximately a month ago she stopped eating her food and would just nibble at it. I decided to try a different food and went with the Royal Canin. She really seemed to like it. But I noticed that she seemed very red the next day and then started to get these small red bumps that look almost like an irritation on her face just above her nose to between the ears and even beside her eyes. I became afraid that she was having an allergy to the new food and immediately stopped. I decided to try taste of the wild salmon. She still has the bumps and has no interest in eating the TOTW salmon or the Blue Wilderness. She was the smallest of her litter and weighs approximately 30lbs. My fear is not so much her size but making sure she is getting the right nutrition as well as avoiding anything that could be causing her issues. She seems perfectly fine and has no other symptoms. Her parents do not have any health issues or allergies. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Well I must commend you by the food of choices that you have experimented with. There's no question that all three foods should (and will) provide her with the proper nutrition she needs and deserves. The fact that she's still showing signs associated with allergies must likely are contributed to genetics. I'd be willing to bet it stems from an immature immune system which is developing slowly and having a hard time combating the things which are susceptible to cause skin allergies no matter how focused you are within her diet. Normally a change in diet is the key to resolving skin issues but occassionally some EBT's require more attention especially while they're in the adolescent stages as yours is. Once she matures you won't have the issues you're seeing right now but currently you're fighting against an immune system that's not keeping up with her growth and development. My recommendation to you would be to supplement her diet with something that will boost her immune system. Think of it like a vitamin that will aid her in areas she's lacks. I use a product called NuVet and it has truly proven very effective - http://bulliesofnc.com/online-store/supplements-vitamins
    I'm confident if you stick with any of the three foods you mentioned and supplement her diet with a daily NuVet vitamin you will quickly see a noticeable difference. I also recommend that you mix in some meats, quality canned food, rice, broth, or vegetables in her food so she doesn't have the tendency to get bored with her diet and long for new tastes and flavors just as we would.
    Don't leave her bowl of food out all day if she doesn't eat it. Provide her the food you made and if she eats some and walks away from it 5 minutes later take the bowl away from her so she realizes there will be no more food until the next feeding schedule. It won't take long for her to realize she needs to eat all the food or wait until the end of the day to see food again. This method will improve her appetite and get her more excited during feeding time. 
    Please keep in touch and let of know how things work out.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2014
    Okay. There doesn't seem to be anything fundamentally wrong with any of the kibble brands she has been given... But what else does she get?.. Any cooked meat, any raw meat, anything else.? A Bullie can't survive on kibble alone. What treats, what chews..... It could be a side item that is trigger to her issues...We need everything she consumes detailed. ... Plus whatever supplements/ vitamin extras she receives. Until you work out what ails her internally, I'd add coconut oil ( thick white paste) to the local areas to ensure they are minimalized and not facilitate spread.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks so much for your advice Steve. I will definitely give the Nuvet vitamin a try. When she started teething I heard that carrots were really good so I do give her some raw carrots as well as bananas and apples. I have also added some tuna with her kibble as well as some cooked extra lean ground beef. As for supplements I just bought the grizzly salmon oil after reading about it in this forum. I had also been leaving her bowl out which I haven't done For at least 2 weeks since I read about it on here.. I was always worried she might get hungry and wanted to be sure she didn't starve. Her treats are the nothing added brand we have here that's freeze dried meats. And I get different kinds from chicken to beef. As well as the liver treats. I have also given her the blue buffalo puppy treats with banana and yogurt but she hasn't had these in approx 2-3 weeks. For chewing I give her bull pizzles, smoked beef bones and antlers . I am open to any suggestions. Just want to make sure she is strong, healthy and of course her naturally mischievous self! :-bd
    I truly think it's just her immune system based on what you are providing her. My only suggestion I can provide is to give her something that will boost her system. Keep a good kibble at the same time as giving her some other elements of food mixed in as Phil mentioned. She won't starve if her bowl is removed. She'll only learn to appreciate her food more and eat more when it's in front of her. 

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Please post some pics of your Bullie. We'd all love to see her.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks. I will try to keep her food exciting. And I have not left her bowl down since I read that on this forum.
    I will update on her progress.

Here are some pics. I have to get some more recent ones. She is an active one :)

Oh and the 3rd picture she's pretending she's a cat

image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 686K
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 632K
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 730K
    She really looks great! I honestly think you just need to supplement her and give her some time to mature. You're taking great care of her and giving her a very good diet. keep it up and keep us posted.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She's adorabull!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • The "stop working and come play with me mom" look. I just can't resist this face. Off to play fetch we go again!
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 794K
    Who could resist that face!!!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm getting some mustard!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Lol. Thanks.. she melts my heart! :x