Skip to content

Day one of "training"

So, Mckenzie and I have had a good day. I am focusing on some of the main issues I am having with her in regards to obedience.

I have been keeping her on her "ottoman" that she uses all the time. When my girls eat a snack, I make her sit there. She consistently got up about 7 times but I continued to put her back reinforcing that action. Finally after the 7th time, she left the girls alone and they snacked. I am going to continue this throughout the day, at least until dinner when we crate her.

In regards to her running down the stairs next to me. I have been holding her collar as I walk down so she knows not to lunge down. I give her a treat when I grab her collar, and when I get to the bottom and she doesn't go ahead of me. I am concerned with this especially when she does this when my children are on the stairs as well.

When I take her to the bathroom in the morning when she is most excited to go, I make her sit with her leash on at the door, I give her a treat because shes sitting, I open the door and make her sit until I command her to walk with me to go out the door. (I am currently in a cast on my right foot so this is especially important so she doesn't run out, and if you are wondering why I leash her, its because she has been jumping over the fence to the neighbors dog)  My husband and I have both been doing this for any bathroom or walk outing.

She is a jumper, and that has been a problem with a lot of our guests. So, today, I tried this with my grandma. She is almost 80 and I really want to avoid her knocking her over. My grandma came to the door, I had a treat in my hand and commanded Mckenzie to sit. I gave her a treat when my grandma entered so she continued to sit, she started to get up and I smacked her butt and she sat back down, I gave her a treat.  She didn't lunge at my grandma, but when the door shut she lunged at the door so I smacked her butt and made her sit again where she was.

(if there is another way to do any of these things, please let me know)

BTW: We had a good night last night with her sleeping with us. I don't know if you are opposed to this but she is a sweetheart when she sleeps at our feet. Our chihuahua slept next to me and Kenzie at our feet and it was a good night. In the past 9 months this is the maybe 3rd time she has done it. Im pretty proud :)

--Heida

Comments

• Nothing wrong with a good smack on the rump!! Sounds as though things are going well!!! And as far as the sleeping with you I let mine when my husband goes to work early am and sometimes at night my male will crawl in real sneaky!! He can jump up on my bed my female can't. Just as long as she's not showing any dominant behavior snuggle on!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2014
    Well that sounds like a very accomplished day!!!  And she sounds like she's learning real quick! Wonderful.... lots of hard work I know!  Keep it up.
    .... P.S. There's one trick they pull that there is no solution for however! When they steal your heart and won't give it back.... None of us know the answer to that one.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • So sweet. 

My husband has come rather late to loving dogs, and "his" bull terrier pup is a revelation to him. He's like a man in love for the first time. He hurries home after work. He moons over him while he's at work, peppering his conversations with references to Barney.  He profoundly regrets spending so much of his life without a bull terrier in it.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    and now he's addicted to Bull Terriers just like the rest of us!    ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Beth, I am certain he is not in love "for the first time",... But I am glad he has found the special love that only an EBT can return..... Life without an EBT is really not living.... (I've had them around for 35 years).. much like life without a good woman.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Your partners (canine and human) are lucky!