Skip to content

McKenzies Nails

I've attached two pictures to give an idea of our potential issue..
She does not seem in pain, but the right paw is worse then the other. The nails are turning a darker red/brown color and the inside of the paw is a reddish color..there is no odor.
nails2.jpg
1419 x 798 - 68K
nails.jpg
1419 x 798 - 178K

Comments

• Grain free food. I was told this was a sign of poor diet the reddness inbetween the toes.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • What Leslie said, her diet needs to be balanced in order for her immune system to be balanced.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I bet she's licking those paws, that's what's making them raw.....nervousness also contributes but Diet, diet, diet that's the only solution I know. You can try soothing ointment to help the paws, Neosporin, bag balm, but if it makes her lick them more! stop. Wash her feet every day too, with Dawn.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    edited January 2014
    Looks like you are managing to keep her nails nice and short... Good job! Frequent trimming without hitting the quick is hard to do but fabulous if you can achieve it.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • We will do that. I have put ointment on her paws but she loves licking it and eating it!
    "Work for a cause, not applause. Live life to express, not impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt"
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I would also recommend that you provide her with a supplement to boost her immune system. You will find many other benefits by providing her a good daily vitamin.

http://bulliesofnc.com/online-store/supplements-vitamins

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I saw nu - vet and salmon oil?
    "Work for a cause, not applause. Live life to express, not impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt"
  • Stoegers nails started to turn dark when he was younger. I did a little research and discovered that an allergy can cause it. We were giving our pup raw eggs( which we've come to the conclusion he's allergic to) and once we stopped feeding him that his nails are back to mostly clear! So I definitely say it's because of diet!
  • Okay, the diet is obviously a HUGE issue with this breed, It seems to effect everything.
  • Correct ;)
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    TeKnowledgE..... It's their way of saying, "we like to be pampered in the food department"
  • Mine had this - vet said it was a yeast infection. That's what causes the brown gunk. The way I fixed it? She was given anti-fungal/anti-bacterial wipes that I had to use every day on all her feet. During that time I switched her from a limited ingredient food (not totally grain-free) to Acana's grain free line. Yeast can feed off grains apparently. Once we finished the medicated wipes I started her on coconut oil. Coconut oil has good anti-fungal properties. I saw a massive change in her feet and coat...her feet are less dingy, more white, have less gunk, and more of her fur has grown back. Give it a shot!
    Great input O! Mighty Quinn! ( remember the song)?
  • I know the song! Quinn isn't named after that, but one of her great-grandparents is indeed "The Mighty Quinn." Kind of solidified my choice to name her Quinn when I saw that in her pedigree. :)