Skip to content

Broken Tooth

Well, we got to see Maya in real time this morning. The young lady caring for her said she broke one of her back teeth....I'm guessing some over aggressive gnawing on some elk antlers. Wonder if a vet dentist can help? And, this might be a good test of the hotly debated Pet Insurance topic of a few months ago.
tooth.jpg
360 x 297 - 34K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Xtracho... I'm so sorry... Hell I'm sick to my stomach just looking at that picture. Besides everything else, it's gotta be painful as heck... looks like the nerve must be exposed.  I can't see, have never heard, of a dog capable of doing that to themselves.... Wrestling an object away from another dog maybe, that's why we restrict our dogs to wrestling over things that are soft.... elk antlers don't fit the bill.... we even step in when they are fighting over a sturdy stick.... although even those are typically crumbly here in damp land.  It's going to need to be some creative / capable cosmetic dentist who can restore it strong enough. I really hope you find a solution.... Bummer, after such an apparently stupendous vacation trip! what a homecoming.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • They will either extract the tooth or cap it, nothing to serious, but if not treated will become very serious. It can lead to an infection of the root or even worse the actual jaw bone itself! I know you'll take great care of her, keep us in the loop! I want to know how your insurance pans out, I still haven't purchased a plan but have been thinking about it. Hopefully she feels better!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited January 2014
    Mark, I'm sorry to hear about Maya. I don't think it would be possible for her to break a tooth gnawing on a bone or antler. Maya is too young and her teeth are strong and healthy. To break a tooth like that would take some type of trauma.
    Years ago when we were forced to leave Kolohe outside all day in a kennel while we went to Utah on vacation she became very stressed and did not wish to be kenneled. She bit at the kennel with so much force she wore groves in the back of her canines and broke a tooth in the the process. She's difinetely not the type of BT that wishes to be cooped up. She did the same thing all over again about a year after the incident only this time it was at the Vets office after she was spayed. The Vet couldn't beleive she bend the kennel mesh bars with her teeth. Thank God she didn't break another tooth on that occasion. It's obvious she's very attached to us and doesn't enjoy being confined.
    Maya might be the same way. Do you know if by chance the people you had watching her may have crated her? I guess it will be a true mystery as to what caused the broken tooth but I guarantee it wasn't from eating or gnawing on an antler.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited January 2014
    I sure hope Boyda is right, and a cap will hold... an extraction will not be well liked by anyone, least of all Maya.  At the end of the day, I know, speaking for myself, that we love these dogs too much.... Our kids are totally distressed if they can't be with us 24/7.... not to the point of bending bars... but then we are never away from them more than a few hours (and then we even cheat by talking to them over the webcams).... I really rue the day when I am forced to be away from them and absolutely have to leave them with someone... even our own human kids.   A few years ago my son was obliged to kennel his golden lab. for a trip. The boy was so stressed out he got "bloat" and his stomach turned.... he had a couple of really expensive operations (at the time the girl my son was dating's mom is a vet), and still it never corrected 100%, eventually he had to put him down. When they are totally dependent on our love, especially Bullies, they can't handle separation.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Poor Maya, mine hangs himself from a rope in our tree out front and has never busted a tooth,all 73 lbs. Of him dangling like an idiot. I sure hope you get to the bottom of this mystery and she isn't in to much pain:( keep us posted..........
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • That's incredible! Poor port maya, it looks so painful :-( I hope you get to the bottom of the situation.
  • The story as related by the young lady caring for Maya is....she was taking Bear out for a potty break. When she came back in she heard a loud snap and that's when she saw that Maya had broken a tooth. She was not crated. I trust her. She has 6 dogs herself and gave up her time with them to care for Maya and Bear. I talked to her today and told her to let me know immediately if Maya is showing any signs of pain or tenderness with the broken tooth.

Oh....@Boyda ...you'll all be happy to know that my Healthy Paws insurance will cover the treatment of the tooth. 90% with a $200 deductible. So it seems that my investment, at least for the time being, has been worth it.

We will be home early Saturday morning to care for our baby. To say that we have missed her would be a gross understatement.

@BulliesofNC...what did you do, if anything, about Kolohe's broken tooth?
    Kolohe's lost only the tip of one tooth which was cosmetic and didn't warrant any necessary dental work. It doesn't look perfect but Kolohe is no show dog and has no idea her tooth isn't perfect.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I am so pissed off right now I cannot contain myself. I called the vet from Honduras this morning to see about having Maya brought in to make sure she is not in any pain, if she is to treat it, and to prevent the possibility of infection.

I was told that there were no open appointments and that the only thing available was a "work in" that would cost almost double what a scheduled appointment would cost. Now, do not get me wrong, I am willing to spend what it takes to make sure our Maya is taken care of, but I will not be gouged by a vet office that prefers profit over the immediate welfare of an animal. I told the young lady on the phone that we will be switching vets immediately.

But I'm not done there. When I get home I am personally going to "voice" my disgust at these people. And if my wife could tell you what that means you would all understand why I put quotations around the word "voice."

I have been associated with many vets over a lifetime of owning dogs. Every one of them would have never done what this vet attempted to do. Those vets would have simply said, "Sure, bring her in and let's get her taken care of."

Side note: latest report is that Maya does not seem to be experiencing any discomfort or pain from the broken tooth.
    @Xtracho - Words can't express my feelings about the Vets here in my area. They are all the same way unless I travel all the way to Raleigh which isn't always an option in an emergency situation.
    It's all about the almighty dollar to them and most have lost all compassion in regard to the welfare of the animals they treat. I truly believe after euthanizing so many animals during their career they lose a little appreciation and love for animals after each dog or cat they send out of this world. Most of them concentrate on finding ways to get the most money for their services and every time you take your dog to see them they ensure they schedule at least one followup appointment regardless if it's needed or not.
    A few months back I had to point out to my Vet how the cost of Acclimation Statements were getting more and more each time I asked for one due to the need to ship a puppy via canine air flight. I actually brought with me receipts to prove a point. I then (very tactfully) asked him if he thought charging me $75 for each Acclimation Statement was a fair price when in fact it's just a piece of paper that's presented to Delta Airlines showing that the puppy is in perfect health. It takes the Vet all of 2 minutes to fill out and I'm already there at his office with a litter paying individual prices er puppy for their Vaccinations, Tests, and Health certificates. I guess the $75 Acclimation Statement is just a free bonus. Thankfully my Vet knew I was implying that I felt as though I was getting ripped off and now charges me $50. Needless to say he's still making a lot of money for a simple piece of paper that only documents the dogs health with his Certified Vet Number on it. On every litter I have there's usually 3 puppies that require be flown out and shipped to the owner. The Vet certainly enjoys receiving an additional average of $150 on top of the other fees he's already charged for the exams, vaccinations, genetic testing, and health statements. You'd think his signature on an Acclimation Statement would be free but it's all about the money and each Vet knows darn well I need that document in order to send a puppy on an airplane.
    On New Years Day I had to take Rocky to the Vet because his left anal gland was impacted and causing him a lot of pain and discomfort to the point my wife couldn't touch his rear end and even attempt to express him as he needed. Obviously seeing a Vet on New Years when they're not open caused me to resort to the emergency vet in order to receive the care that was needed. Just to open the door at the emergency clinic costs $150 off the bat. I was hoping they would sedate Rocky and express his anal gland, give him some antibiotics, and listen to him tell me to provide him more fiber in his diet. Instead I was told sedation would be unnecessary and instead they'd rather conduct the procedure fast and get him out of the office. With this said they muzzled him and told be to bear hug him tightly while the Vet quickly went in and squeezed his anal gland. It took everything I had to hold Rocky back. Luckily they were able to clear his gland at which time Rocky felt immediate relief. I couldn't help thinking my wife and I could have done this at home but we wouldn't have been able to get the antibiotics to help heal him up quickly. We were in and out of there within 10-15 minutes. I think it took just as long to pay them the bill of $250 than it did to express his swollen anal gland. It seems like I was the one that had the hard job of holding Rocky still while they expressed him. Maybe I should have charged them for my assistance.
    I try not to think too much about the costs that Vets charge for things that don't take much time and require no expenses on their part. It only makes me mad and bitter. I'm happy that Rocky is no longer in pain. I'm happy to hear Maya is not in pain either. It is completely unsatisfactory that your Vet can't fit her into his or her schedule. However, if they are saying they can fit her in but it will cost additional money than there's no doubt they are assholes who focus only on profits made and could care less about you or your dog. It's sad but this type of mentality is spreading like cancer through our country and it's everywhere.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @bulliesofnc.,..rest assured....I will be seeing them personally come Saturday morning. And after having flown all day and driven all night, I'll not be in a very diplomatic mood (if I ever was anyhow). And you know, the $$$ is not really the issue...it's their enthusiasm at wanting to extract it from me from the get go that pisses me off.
    edited January 2014
    Politicians, lawyers, vets.... I don't particularly care which order the go in, but they should all take a long walk off a short plank.... arseholes, the lot of them.
    (Glad Maya isn't in pain... hope you can get it fixed).
    Shyte happens... all too frequently.
  • I'm glad maya isn't in pain either! Although I don't anything could hurt them, I reckon that can be good and bad. I hope you can talk common courteous into your vet. I feel as if ours could be the same but our vet tech has a huge bullie heart and consider ourselves lucky but we won't know until that emergency happens.

I wish you an maya a fast and speedy recovery!
  • Steve the vet I worked for used to teach clients how to express an anal gland!! that sucks that are charging a heafty fee for that:( !!!! Mark you get em and my guess is if you cause enough ruckus they somehow will manage to fit her right in!!! Assholes!
    edited January 2014
    We know how to express the anal glands as well. The problem was that Rocky wouldn't let us near the area. I couldn't even get a temp reading.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Poor boy!!! I can't imagine trying to hold that big fella down as Cleo at a light 45lbs gives me a run for my money, you should send them a bill for assisting! !!!!!!
  • Home from Honduras yesterday morning. No indication that Maya is in any pain or discomfort. She has been gnawing on deer antlers pretty much as she always has. Playing without abandon with Bear and just being....well....Maya. Will still take her to the vet, a different one than the idiots we previously used, to see what they have to say. I Googled two veterinary dentists within a reasonable distance from us. One practices out of Atlanta and the other in Jacksonville. So, we shall see. But right now our little girl seems none the worse for wear. I will try to get her to be still long enough to take a few better pics of the tooth so you all can weigh in on what you think.
    I'm glad to hear she is doing well. Maya is a tough cookie and the tooth probably doesn't bother her a bit.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm glad to hear she isn't in pain and I'm sure she was bouncing off the walls to have her humans home!! I'm glad you had a safe trip!
  • So how was she when you walked in!!!! Bullies are tough and Maya is no exception! !! Also glad everyone made it home safe!!! WELCOME HOME!!!
  • @Leslie....LOL...she was all atwitter. Her tail wagging so hard the entire rear half of her body was wagging. But ya know, I think my tail was wagging a bit also! @Stoges_mom....yup...she's been all over me today with ear kisses and I slept on the sofa with her and Bear last night. We missed her so much. She was in her crate asleep with the door open when we got home. She came bounding out so fast she bumped her noggin getting out.

Still kind of worried about her broken tooth but feel better knowing that she isn't showing any signs of pain or discomfort.