Skip to content

Broken tail???

My bullie played a bit rough it seems and since this afternoon her tail hangs and has a lump/swelling about 10cm from the base. Apparently the vet can't do anything about it and says it usually heals by itself. Anyone had the same experience and what was the healing results?

Comments

• Did your vet even do an x-ray to determine if it's broken or maybe a sprain? Bullies are tough, but a broken tail can be painful for them and can cause nerve damage, so you would want it to be set and wrapped to ensure it heals right.
  • I'm no help here but I'm sorry to here your pup has been injured =((

Is she in noticeable pain?
  • Quinn never had lumps or noticeable swelling but I think she may have had limber tail/swimmers tail when she was a baby. Her tail would hang limp and she wouldn't really wag it, only the tip would move. And this would last about a week or so, and it would go back to normal. Maybe this is a possibility for your girl?
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I'm no vet, by any stretch of the imagination... but if this happened to me, and I found (easy to do) a lame vet that had little advise.... The least I'd do was tape the tail about 3" to 4 " either side of the injury, not too tight to restrict flow, but with sports strapping tape that stuck well and provided support.  If there is a break or misalignment you want to give it as much chance of healing straight as you can.  But be careful of a wrap that'll attract her attention to it and make her chew on it and end up doing more harm than good. Keep us updated please.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Cookie had limber tail once, but there was no swelling so I knew it wasn't broken. If it was broken, I would be at the vet ASAP!
  • Hi there I'm new here...

My bully got into the exact same condition. Took him to the vet and the vet tolled me there is nothing they can do. If any dog breaks a tail, all you can do is to wait for it to heal. They can't put a cast on because it will not stay on.

You can, take them to a special vet, put in some wire through the tail what not, if the lump is aesthetically not pleasing for your eyes... but the surgery will cost you $$$.

My Bullys tail had healed just fine and now he has a little bump on the tail but it works just fine.

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Elie, thanx for sharing.... as long as it wags a lot, that's all that really matters!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thx all. Her tail healed beautifully. And as Elie said there now is just a bit of lump.. But she is wagging away

:D
  • My boy had a case of limber tail after running around in about 10" of fresh snow last week for a while. Was back to 100% after a few days. Was weird not seeing that tail constantly wag for a full day. Was acting completely normal other than that. No signs of pain or irritation.