Skip to content

anyone had experience using wheat germ oil or apple cider vinegar to treat skin conditions and coat

My 11 mo old BT broke out with a rash again but I think it may be related to a flea bite because I found one on her. She's on benadryl now and doing better but she always has pimples on her and her coat doesn't look all that great. She's on BB wilderness but I'm looking for something to supplement. I've read that wheat germ oil and apple cider vinegar can do wonders. Anyone try this stuff.

Comments

• I put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in all of my dogs food and have been doing so for the past year and it has been wonders on their coat and skin (I also use salmon oil so it could be in conjunction with). They haven't had a flea or tick in all that time, and I take them all over the Bay Area terrain where fleas and ticks are. I personally wouldn't try wheat germ, but if you try it, give us your feedback.
  • I've personally never used wheat germ oil, but I have used a teaspoon of cider vinegar and it does help. My poor boy suffers from the seasonal allergens out here (the pollen is terrible when it rains and everyone sprays tons of pesticides for all the critters out here) and after using it for a bit his skin didn't seem to bother him as much, and he wasn't licking his feet as often. Try to wean your dogs onto it b/c they can balk at the full dosage. I started with a 1/4 tsp and upped it by a 1/4 each week until reaching a full tsp at week 4.

I also wash him bi-weekly in a tea tree & aloe based shampoo, the stronger the Tea tree shampoo you can find the better, be sure to scrub it in all the parts that don't breath much like in between the toes/pads and under the armpits and belly. I let him sit in it for about 5-10 min after I scrub it in so it has a chance to sink into the skin to wash it off. It really can help cut the itching especially from contact allergies.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Knowing that EBT's don't do well with grain I think the last thing I'd want to supplement my dog with would be Wheat Germ especially if she already has skin issues. Since you've got her on a good food I'd concentrate more on boosting her immune system with a quality vitamin or supplement.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Just make sure if you use tea tree oil shampoos to rinse it off completely, that stuff is very poisonous to dogs. And if you let them soak in it, don't take your eye off them in case they lick it.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    We don't use ACV but, now that you mention it it good for many things, in humans too, I'm gong to give it a try... I'd use Grizzly oil, Coconut oil, and bag balm ( for acute locations ) before I went anywhere near a wheat germ.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    For EBT's that aren't cursed with food allergy's wheat germ isn't a bad thing. I actually use it in my weight gain recipes and have yet to have any negative reactions. However, based on your problem you have with your Bullies skin I would agree with Phil by staying away from it simply because it is grain which could add to the problem.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Do you feed Darwin's Phil? I think it's in the packages they send. I'm not home or I would look. Before we started Darwin's I would add just a little bit to his food or water. It's so good for the body, humans as well..... I've thought about adding it to my diet as well but can't get past the smell! Lol
  • If you ever get heartburn, take a shot of ACV, I swear it will be gone in 5 mins! I learned this when I was pregnant. I took every OTC med for it, plus was prescribed two different meds from my doctor and none of them worked so my desperation lead me to ACV and I never looked back! I know this is a bull terrier forum, but just had to add that in here. Sorry! And yes, Darwins does have ACV in their raw foods.