Skip to content

No Rest for the Wicked

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
I took off this weekend to attend a big dog show up in Maryland. It was a fun get away but it's good to be back. I missed my Bullies! I left the computer at home just to take a break. Now that I'm back I'm trying to play catch up with emails. I sign on to the Forum and holy smoke I'm way behind. It took me a half an hour to read through the new posts. Loved seeing the new pics too!

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• Did you enter Nitro?????? How'd you like that power outage last night? Welcome home, we have no power! LOL!
  • I want pics Steve!! I want to go to a dog show so bad but I'm waiting until stoge is old enough to go.
  • He forgot to mention he has to fix his power washer cord that someone broke.  I think he left it defective!!

Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Craig, I read that wrong! I thought you said washing machine. So Steve comes over and I'm like "who broke your washing machine?". LMAO!!!
  • You need to get out more.  I think you are getting cabin fevor.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I don't do well with the general public. They're safer with me at home! ;)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Well, I fixed my pressure washer!   Craig - You're grounded from using it!!!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    @Stoges_mom - I'll down load the photo's from the show tonight (if I get some time) and try to get a few out.
    VERY political show with Saturday proving to be the most ridiculous judging I have ever witnessed or even heard about. Sunday was another story.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited November 2013
    Those that know me understand I’m not a big advocate of the show circuit simply due to the politics involved and the lack of professionalism that erupts from many EBT owners who live for controversy somehow enjoy racking havoc on others that aren’t in their “click” or club.

I’d be lying if I said my experience this weekend was any different even as I lurked from the sidelines and watched my handler show Nitro. I guess that saying “It’s who you know” goes a long way in the show ring. Of course it isn’t always that way but enough to rattle your cage with disgust.

As an example, Saturday I watched a white male Bull Terrier from a reputable bloodline (name undisclosed) enter the ring as a competitor with Nitro. I hate bashing anyone’s Bullie but this guy had terrible movement, bad top line, overweight, and to top it off he actually had a red saddleback mark on his rump end. It took me all of a second to write him off as a contender due to his faults in comparison to Nitro. To make a long story short, this particular dog actually won best in Class. I (as well as everyone else) was shocked! I was wondering why the judge didn’t check Nitro’s bite when being shown. I guess his decision was made before the exhibition began. Now I know everybody will always think their dog is the best no matter what but this was different. I can take a loss like a big boy but there’s no question what so ever the judge had no clue what the standard of the BT dictated. I told my handler maybe we should paint a big old saddleback mark on Nitro’s ass if that’s what the judges like. I was so steamed at the unfairness that I almost decided to head home vice sit and watch Sunday’s final finale and show down. However, I knew the judge would be different and I prayed he’d be fair, knowledgeable, and accurate. I was told by others at the show (who told me I got robbed) that the other judge was firm, strict, knowledgeable, and very reputable. That news was good enough for me to suck up defeat from a dog that couldn’t hold a candle to Nitro.

On Sunday Nitro quickly won his class. I sat and watched the next round of bitches compete and viewed some gorgeous Bullies strut their stuff. My eyes were on one particular one. A very big bitch with a very nice head and conformation. Her movement wasn’t great but I was confident she’d win her class against some other real nice girls. She lost Best in Breed the day before but I ruled out the results of that day simply by the judges lack of knowledge and/or integrity. My intuition proved to be correct too because she did if fact win Best in Class. With this said, I was happy knowing Nitro would be fairly competing for Best in Breed with a very nice Bullie who earned her way to B.O.B. class. During the exhibition both Nitro and the female looked great but in the end Nitro took the award and walked away from the show with Best in Breed. The gang that gathered together walked by me and left the show while I was in line to get Nitro’s show win photo conducted with my handler and the judge. They must have been in a rush because there was no congratulations. Needless to say we still had fun and Nitro earned his first Major in America.

Yes, Nitro would have probably preferred a nice walk out in the woods within my backyard and a dip in the pond but from time to time it’s always nice to show face at a show and take home ribbon. If nothing else it gives the gossipers something to talk about within the Bull Terrier community.

As you all know, I suck when it comes to photos and I utilize my phone camera for everything. My still photos stink and I only took a few videos which at least look half way decent. I put a couple video’s together mostly of Nitro because that’s what I zoned in on. Here he is in a Best in Class, Best in Breed, and competing for best in Group. Kind of boring to watch in a video but I thought I’d share it with you guys anyway.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited November 2013
    Steve,  I know it is small consolation, but the Show Ring world really displays no difference with the typical lack of integrity demonstrated in just about every walk of life these days. I am sure that others with class and quality understand and recognize that their worlds, business or personal, have also become riddled with a mentality of "cliques" and pretentious behaviour. It sickens me when I see people that know sooooo little about the business that they purport to be in, fail to comprehend even the basics, and then have the audacity to act outraged when the truth shows them to be lacking. Don't get peeved because they infest your world and the sacred space that Bullies occupy, the morons infect ALL spaces these days...... (It just feels more painful when their ignorance touches a world that is dear to you. )   An old English expression that might help and amuse you somewhat.... it's..... "Chin Up,.... and Trousers Down".... I don't know whether that translates effectively????
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    I hear you loudly and understand you clearly. I'm no longer mad about Saturday's decisions at the show. However, if the same results continued on Sunday I couldn't possibly say I wouldn't be upset right now. Thankfully Sunday proved to be legit and I left the show with my head held high knowing Nitro dominated with authenticity and fairness. I realize there will always be some sort of crookedness at the shows but it really gets upsetting when you invest time and energy into your dog, spend a lot of money in preparation, travel 7 hours out of state, and find out judging will be conducted unjustly. I don't have the patience or tolerance for that kind of ignorance and it's hard for me (and many others) to sit back and just let it happen.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited November 2013
    Congratulations Steve....Nitro is...well...a great looking bullie.

Oh well...I suppose many that show dogs seem to want to live their lives vicariously through their animals. As I watch Maya grow I have no doubt that she would be a tough competitor in the show ring, but I'd rather have her in my lap, or giving my shaved head bullie kisses, or watching her gnaw on a deer antler, or seeing her lovingly play with my grand baby, or watching her use all 5 acres of the dog park, or....or....or....just about anything else.
  • "giving your shaved head bullie kisses'.  Got a visual on that....too much info.  lol  :P
  • Ooops...bullie ear kisses would have been a bit better I guess.  B-)
  • Lol xtracho!
    Congrats on the win nitro and Steve. The show circuit is extremely intimidating to me but I think Stoeger has potential. We will see. I sometimes have a hard time holding my tongue once I reach a certain level or feel as if people think they are 'better' and it's one reason I'm hesitant about the ring. I did look Into joining a bt club but I'd have to have two recommendations from club members and I havnt figured out how to get those yet...
    You should just go watch a couple shows and decide if you wish to pursue it. I don't think you'd find them intimidating.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Congratulations, Steve, and to Nitro and your handler.  The results on Sunday showed that your gut feelings about Saturday were correct.  Not fairly and thoroughly checking out all of the dogs the same or the standard way also tells a lot about that judge.  It is so wonderful to hear that the right thing happens and triumphs.

The video is wonderful, glad you posted it!

edited November 2013
    Thanks Hope. I appreciate your words. I guess, in a certain scense, I should expect things like that to happen at shows from time to time but I think 21 years in the Marine Corps instilled a lot of competitiveness and pride in my character and to see a lesser dog wrongfully winning the ribbon is heart wrenching when it involves a dog I'm very proud of. I actually went back and reread the standards on White Bull Terriers defined by AKC (in the event something changed) but it still dictates "Color Is white though markings on the head are permissible. Any markings elsewhere on the coat are to be severely faulted. Skin pigmentation is not to be penalized."  It could be possible I'm not fully understanding the meaning behind "severely faulted" or it could be that flaws of this essence are no longer "Severe" in the eyes of particular individuals.
    Here's a couple photos of the Bull Terrier that won Best in Class on Saturday:

1455167_10201647917892021_856940757_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 92K
    1477975_10201647919532062_319753710_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 90K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It seems pretty clear that the judge is the one who had his trousers down and was doing indecent things...

I fail to see how else a dog with a serious fault would even be in the running, let alone BIC.

Way to hang in there for day two Steve. Congrats to Nitro on his first US major! Give him a big hug from me and a Bullie head-butt from Stoeger.

Thanks for sharing the video, it's always good to see Nitro strutting his stuff.

Steve, Two things:
    1) Perhaps it's just me, but in that first photo doesn't it look like the Judge and the Handler have the same parentage.... Does that count?
    2) How much does Nitro weigh... he moved fabulously by the way.
    actually 3 points....
    Perhaps the judge thought the dog just Sharted!?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • My first Bullie (that we adopted from a shelter) had a similar saddle mark.

We never showed him, maybe we would have... if that judge was in our hip pocket...
    edited November 2013
    Phil - I had Nitro with my handler for about 5 days prior to the show. When I seen him at the show it was clear he had lost about 5 or 6 pounds. He's usually about 73 pounds. He was more like 68 pounds during his appearance. That's not my handlers fault. I should have been better prepped and provided him a better diet than what I left him with. That won't happen again. I plan having him about 7 pounds heavier at his next show. That's a guarantee.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    It amazes me how you can monitor each post and discussion and see where it runs as well as see all those that lurk and troll. Sorry, but there's no "Burning Bridges" here.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Steve, Not sure I (we) understand your last post???
  • I was confused, too.  Figured I must have missed a troll-y comment that desperately needed to be deleted.

Nitro looked fabulous, absolutely beautiful.  Watching him move, I kept thinking, "Wow, watch him go!"

Not similar, but maybe not too dissimilar, one of my sons was in a cub/boy scout troop that wasn't very friendly since he wasn't in their clique.  He worked so hard on his Pinewood Derby car and lost out winning overall by a boy whose grandfather put some sort of washer or something that was against the rules.  They didn't do a thing.  He worked soooo hard every weekend for months making it look like a real car, painting, sanding, weighing, etc, but even though everyone attending kept telling him how great it looked, he didn't get recognized in the "beauty" part of the competition.

Next year, he worked harder, determined that he would win it fair and square.  The next year, his was either second or third in speed, but he let that part go thinking for sure he'd get rewarded for all of the hard work in how good it looked.  Most were truly the block of wood with wheels, while he painted it multiple layers, sanded to be as perfect as HE could get it.  Again, no mention, and some rather plain cars with very little effort won.  We didn't say anything, but we left upset to watch this little kid, our son, get ignored and absolutely no recognition for his effort that went way beyond anyone else.  A couple of weeks later, someone told me they were upset that he didn't win that hands down, and that the reason was they overheard one of the other dads that the clique got to be judge say that he didn't do that work, it looked so much better than his son's, so there's no way he should win.  When I started reading this thread, that's what kept popping up in my mind, and I felt those feelings that you might be feeling.  I get sick inside when people can't be fair.
    @exiled.... I know, that sort of immoral imbalance between quality and integrity on the one hand, and ineptness and deceit on the other, eats at your inside.... What's even more depressing is that it's not just average, it's more than normal. Dedication and hard work are almost laughed at because the world mentality has become; " why work it, when you can rig it".... Only consolation for your son is that he knows it was all him, he knows what he put into it, and all the morons in the world can't take that away from him.
    Sorry, for any confusement. No comments were deleted and no trollers commented but there was a potential one prevented. The comment I made was only meant for a couple individuals who know who they are. You'd never imagine that anyone from this forum would send this post to the owners of the dog(s) I was referring to in my post above just to stir up trouble. However, it's apparent the need to do so was felt by them. Don't people realize IP addresses are traceable? My "Burning Bridges" comment was for the individual in Delaware that attempted to provide a fictitious name and email in order to become a member of the forum with the sole purpose of bashing this thread. Ohhh, you got to love the politics that come with showing!

You know the bad part of this whole thing is the simple fact that each any every person that shows knows exactly what the standards dictate. However, in the event a popular person within a club decides that a "Severely Faulted" dog would be perfectly fine to show instead of others saying "Now wait a second here.." they instead support it and suddenly turn a blind eye as though it's no longer a sever fault. But for a judge to award a "severely faulted" dog with a win is just wrong. Now understand this, my words aren't burning bridges they are just explained with common sense, truth, and honesty. Some would say this would be considered calling a spade a spade. What's sad is that I can't even open my mouth, post a photo, or speak a word about Bull Terriers with out certain people analyzing my every move with hopes of discrediting. All I ask, is for those with any dilemma on anything I've said to call me or email and at least have the courage to use your real name or regular email address.
    I think I'm going to just cross my fingers and hope that in ten years I'm not going to see the breed standard having to be changed because we have suddenly welcomed (and encouraged) saddleback marks on white Bull Terriers, Blue Eyes, Deafness, aggressiveness, or any other "faulted" characteristic that at one time didn't receive accommodation.
    Well, I've said my peace and if someone feels I'm wrong or out of line you're more welcome to entertain me with your thoughts via telecommunication. ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Many severely faulted dogs were bred to produce what we now see in the show ring.

As long as you were not doubling up on faults, you could still produce a show winner.

But to show a dog with that severe and obvious of a fault? Comical. To win? Laughable but sad.
  • Oh well Steve....it takes all kind of people and most of them that present themselves that way do it because their pathetic existence cannot be justified by any other means. They don't realize that...or maybe they do. Hard to say. I suppose too many days of vegetating on the sofa, with a box of bon-bons, with their only company being Oprah re-runs can drive them to conduct themselves in such a manner.

Just a guess.
    B-)
    edited May 2014
    The end result and fun I had made it all worth while despite the BS. Many thanks to our handler Katelyn Bishop for a superb job!

Nitro - Best of Breed, Nov 24, 2013.jpg
    1490 x 1186 - 948K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He is a wonderful example of the breed for sure Steve.