Skip to content

Anybody Use A Flirt Pole With Their Bullie?

At Stoeger's obedience class last week... The trainer commented that "Stoge is getting fat." She said "You should be able to feel his ribs." and "He looks like a full grown EBT because he's so fat."

I'm not too hung up on what she said but I have been looking for good ways to exercise him. He's past 20 weeks now and I thought this would be a good time to get him more active.

I found the flirt pole & tug set pictured below on eBay. So I bought it.

The cord is a strong bungee and the lure is fleece.

Stoeger LOVES the flirt pole. Just the same as the hard rake he fell in love with early on. The flirt pole certainly seems more suitable to chew on and gives him the same workout.

The tug attaches to around the trunk of a tree. I haven't tried that out yet. But I'm willing to bet it will be great to let him chew and pull on after he gets worked out on the flirt pole.

I'm waiting for his girth to increase before I get him a Dean & Tyler harness to pull stuff in the yard. He's at 23" around his chest.

Anybody else use a flirt pole on the forum?

The pic below is of Stogie patiently waiting to go outside and get his flirt on!
Flirt_Pole_Super_Tug_Bundle__71933.1382502292.1280.1280.jpg
667 x 1000 - 56K
1441412_705614702782297_1616026395_n.jpg
720 x 960 - 59K

Comments

• Here we go with the fat jokes again, and like Brut stoeger is not fat!!!! He's a well fed puppy!! But a puppy no less!!! Uggg people!!! Save your money on buying a flirt stick or pole go get a 4 ft. Pvc pipe and a rope to feed thru it and knot the end and get a mop head old cotton rope ones and kmot it on the end......flirt stick!!!! Brutus LOVES his and its great exercise!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Thanks Leslie, I love his build and he will look even better as he fills out further. But I certainly don't want him to look fat...

I like your idea for the flirt pole, I'd probably use something different for the lure, the mop string reminds me too much of yarn and we all know what that can do to a puppy stomach if swallowed.

The flirt pole I bought has a few nice features like a wristband and padded handle.

We will probably replace the lure with something furry when it wears out.
    7697_705651546111946_316195031_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 105K
    1391961_705651439445290_728566079_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 69K
    1441411_705651316111969_254317852_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 108K
    1450866_705651162778651_257412983_n.jpg
    960 x 682 - 55K
    1465414_705650956112005_607078746_n.jpg
    718 x 960 - 68K
    1467459_705651022778665_1820070246_n.jpg
    960 x 743 - 100K
    1471832_705651219445312_348869743_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 64K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I see no excess weight on him at all. Your trainer may not have as much familiarity with the breed as she may claim.
    Here's a old thread that I thought might interest you:  http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/270/treadmill-exercise#Item_17

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you Steve.

When we were referred to the trainer, the Vet said "he" is proven with Bullies.

Turns out the training is done by a mother/son team. We ended up in the class with the mom. Maybe she isn't as familiar as him?

I purposely chose Stoeger from his litter-mates because he was shorter/stockier. I wasn't looking for a Dalmatian type. Although since joining this forum I've seen some long-legged, thinner Bullies that I think look beautiful.

I've been keeping the lure pretty low, occasionally flipping it up to entice a horizontal leap. I think he's still too young to be jumping straight up. 
  • I just use the water hide for my babies! Hahahaaha! They case the water stream like crazy! I also have a weightsled and harness for Cookie to pull around the yard, she loves it! I was thinking about purchasing a wagon so I can have her pull my three year old on walks, but that wouldn't be anytime soon as they are pretty pricey and I have to start researching those before I make that jump.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited November 2013
    Sounds like your trainer is another one of those skinny dudes (chicks) with a cheehoohacheehooha, :-S
    Stoeger looks just too awesome !
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • His trainer is great! She was concerned about carrying about too much weight while is bones are developing. I happen to agree with her on that, but at the same time she is familiar with labs as that's what she show/breeds/owns. She has a lot of experience with bull terriers but I believe it's fully grown bull terriers that she is mostly familiar with.
    I will say that other than heeling Stoeger is the best student in his class!!
  • We just hung a tedder ball for the BT's to chase.  That works great and builds muscles.  :-h
  • Flirt Pole? I think I used one of those when I was courting my wife!
  • edited November 2013
    :))
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @Xtracho.... We won't think too badly of you for using the past tense in that statement. ;;)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Ha, he's not allowed to use it anymore ;)
  • I said I used one...didn't say it had been retired!
  • haven't ever used a flirt pole.i usaully hang a motorbike tyre in a tree on a strong but flexiable branch at a height that when bitten onto the tyre the front paws are off the ground.keeps them amused for hours.
  • I LOVE flirt poles! as does Chimera! (except, she could care less about a toy at the end and more about the pole itself)

when out in the front yard, I get a lot of sour looks from people as they assume its for teaching dogs to "fight" or hunt or have higher prey drive.

but no, its great way of excercising  dogs., its also the lure I always use to get a good picture!

I use a fly swatter in the house for them to chase around

07-29-13 (60).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 493K
    07-29-13 (5).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 536K
    07-29-13 (4).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 624K
    07-29-13 (31).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 567K
    07-29-13 (42).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 455K
    07-29-13 (6).JPG
    4592 x 3056 - 6M
    07-29-13 (34).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 458K
    07-29-13 (55).JPG
    1378 x 917 - 522K
  • edited November 2013
    Looks like both of your pups go nuts for the flirt pole too.

A homemade flirt pole would be easy enough to make.

The reason I went with a manufactured flirt pole was so it didn't look like some makeshift "dog fighting" tool. Hopefully preventing any nosy-neighbor from having a reason to give me a sour look.

I'm sure a few looked at Stoges_mom a little weird when she was twirling around in the front yard with the rake and Stogie chasing it, ha! Now she can use this and they won't know what the heck they're watching ;)

Anyway, the heck with ignorant people, I just want our pup to be happy, have fun and stay fit.

@Warren I plan to make Stoeger a spring pole in the future. But now while he's young I'm trying not to encourage any vertical jumping. I don't want him to hurt a knee or hip. With the flirt pole he only leaps horizontal.
  • How do you make a spring pole?? Picture please!!!
  • I've found numerous links on the internet that use two garage door springs, a couple carabiners and some pull toys. Very simple and cheap.
  • If you meant, how do you make a flirt pole... I just found this link.

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/04/24/flirt-pole/
  • I couldn't care less about what the neighbors think........ But I know their dogs are jealous!!
  • @stoeger- good plan my last male actually hurt himself jumping vertically when he was a pup.
    people are so ignorant bout bullies it rediculous.when i let two off their leads at the beach i get some sour looks.had a man run pick up his yorki and leave the beach the other day.haha
    unfortunately we dont have any dog parks over here so the beach is the only place to take them to socialize.
  • oh I did have  one made for dogs, the chase n pull from Jeffers pet- that was destroyed within a few weeks, and said screw it-im not spending more money on another one when they just want the "pole" anyways!

I know ALOT of people who buy horse Lunge whips to use as flirt poles due to them being sturdy, strong anf flexible, THATS what I want but due to how large they are, shipping would be a good bit, so I haven't got one yet.

• I've done less dog park, probably 2-3 times a week now with Spud and more hiking and running now but I have to give this a try. It's rainy season here in Northern California so gota find something for him in the yard to do.
  • Let us know what you end up building or buying Soapskid.

Most importantly, let us know how much Spud likes it!

It's starting to get quite cold here, we even had a dusting of snow yesterday morning.

Stoges_mom took Stogie out for some flirt pole yesterday and he wasn't too interested. Too cold and windy for him... So they came back inside and snuggled the day away ;)
  • He looks great to me.  I suggest you carry a small mirror.  Pull it out when someone makes a nasty comment.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I just ordered a flirt pole, Christmas is coming early for these pups!
  • I'll keep you guys posted. I'm contemplating using some PVC piping for now until something else is sturdier. Also I'm going to start putting weights on Spud during his walks. Updates and pictures soon.
  • i made a flirt pole with sum pvc conjut and rope. Abel showed a slight interest and Shiloh looked at me like i was stone mad.lol
    @soapskid -how do you attach the weights to him when you walk him? what do you use as weights?
  • edited November 2013
    Stoeger just loves the fleece lure our flirt pole has, he goes  nuts for it.

So tonight we got him warmed up on the flirt pole and moved him on to the tug.

He might like that even more than the flirt pole!

The tug is also fleece.
    038.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • I know they make weight vests for dogs, like the picture attached, or you could simply buy a doggy pack and add a weight on both side packs. If you do decide to walk him with weights, please make sure you are not adding to much weight at first. I think 5 pounds should suffice, then slowly move him up. I forget, how old is your pup @soapskid? If he is still under a year, I would think it's best to wait a bit before trying weights with him. I don't walk my dogs with weights, but I do have a weight sled that I hook Cookie up to with a weight pull harness and she pulls that puppy around my backyard no problem. She pulls it just a couple times a week.
    image.jpg
    1046 x 800 - 166K
    @Soapskid - stacking weights on your puppy won't do anything except cause pain and possibly mess up his joints. His body is still developing and all puppies go through a lanky period where they appear to need to bulk up or gain weight. All he needs is proper nutrition and time. After he's a year old and reached his final growth in height you can bulk him up with other methods. I think you'll get a lot more out of pulling with him vice stacking weights on his body.

Nitro - Sled Ride.jpg
    1600 x 499 - 202K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • OMG!! That has to be my favorite pic you've ever posted Steve!!! That's beautiful/awesome and everything rolled into one pic!
  • Haha that is great and what a great idea hopefully can pull my kids along next year when she's bigger :D
  • edited November 2013
    That's Nitro isn't it Steve?
    Thanks, I like that photo too. Yep, that's Nitro.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Agreed with Steve on the weights- you should never force weight onto a young Bully, 1 year is a good age to begin harder exercising as well as adding light weight.

you CAN however invest in a pack and allow them to wear it around to become used to it until they are 1 year old, then slowly begin adding weight.

you should start with OUCNES-not pounds. think of it like this, has their ever been a time in your life where you have tried working out a part of your body your not used to? maybe try doing an exercise your not use to like the "plank" for a few seconds and see how hard it is and how sore your abs or back are the next morning-simply because your not used to,even if you are strong person.

I started Cesar with a pack at 2 years old empty for about a month, then I added 2 ounces of sand in each pocket for a  week,then 4 more ounces for 2 weeks, then so on and so forth