Skip to content

Does your Bully swim?

Anyone else have a swimmer? Is it common? My older guy sank when I took him to the river years ago, I had to go down and get him. My youngest goes up to his chest. But Jet LOVES it, shes a fish out of water! She even dives. I cant keep her out of the bathtub either.
IMG_20120527_175726.jpg
2048 x 1536 - 2M

Comments

• Here is Cesar-he started loving swimming when me and BF would take him fishing, when we toss the fish back in he goes swimming after them to try to catch them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjjUz5i1dQw

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

Most of my Bull Terriers really love the water and enjoy swimming. However, I have 2 of them that would rather stand at the shore and watch.

That's a great picture of your Bull Terrier swimming on what appears to be a really nice lake.

xcharity_casex - That was a funny video and it looks like he learned to swim really fast and enjoyed the hell out it. thanks for sharing the video.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We took cleo swimming and she tried to drowned liked to wade though and brutus was to busy barking at the boue but he did swim a little and did alright. It was fairly crowded and a little girl was always after brutus so I didnt dare unleash them:(
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • We haven't taken Kimba swimming yet but she doesn't mind baths! We'll have to try it sometime :)

Her mom, Casper, on the other hand is absolutely petrified of water- always has been since we got her at 3months old. I half wonder if something happened to her before we got her.

• edited January 2013
    imageNone of my bullies could swim but this could be due to the fact that they were all very large BTs.  This one LOVES the beach so we bought him a life jacket but I still don't let him off the leash.  They are a great idea - without it he panics and starts to sink.  He is also the easiest dog to bathe - he will sit at the bottom of our feet in the shower if we let him in. Won't get out until we turn the water off :)
    Great photos!!!  Those are some happy Bullies!
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The picture above with the life jacket is just super!! Great idea L-)
  • How big are your bullies? I have seen some very large bull terriers swim without a problem I think it just depends on if they get used to it young or not. My bitch is 55 pounds and very dense and she swims like a fishy!
  • LOVE the life jacket pics!!! adorible!!

• So I took the dogs for a walk today in the crummy rain and sopping wet feilds that at times I was wading in water, Brutus in tow wading away running full speed and jumping and playing in the fun and then you have cleo whom I I litterally carried across the big puddles because she didnt want to get her precious feet wet!!! I am serious I carried my bull terrier because she wouldnt wade through a puddle of water......What! !! :-S
    That's funny! :-))

Each has their own personality and maybe she's a little spoiled. I had a friends Bull Terrier here last summer that hated water and avoided it with passion.

Oh but that is a funny story. You're back must be killing from carrying her all over and she probably loved being carried and felt so special. Too funny.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I have been lucky so far with my mini ebt. Since her 1st day at the beach, she would follow me straight in the water and swim a fair distance

Seems to be a great way to build up lean muscle
  • Our old Bully liked pools and lakes, but hated waves! My current one is a true country girl and won't go near water despite living across the road from the beach haha
    Spring is here. A little swim time in March. :-bd

Pond (5).JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 865K
    Pond (6).JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 886K
    Pond (8).JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Pond (19).JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 810K
    Pond (20).JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm taking my 7-month-old to the lake today for the first time. Gonna try out the water and see what she thinks. I'll post pics and let y'all know how it went!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited June 2013
    At 6 months my boy loves the lake, his sister will not be allowed in by her (human) mother. In FL the lakes are quite swampy, stinky and full of all types of bacteria, fungi, and protozoan.... so we are afraid, while their immune systems are still young, to let him go in too much.... Also they tend to drink the water. I've seen full grown dogs swimming in them like crazy.... I don't know how, because on the rare occasion I have had to spend time in our lake (like changing my sprinkler pipe filter)... I feel really sick afterward from whatever I absorb through the skin..... I hope you don't live near swampy lakes...
    We take them to the beach!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Just got back from a lake near by, brutus won't swim proved he can and don't want to:( ;) he did have a blast though and even licked a few kids!!@! :-c he jumped around and really wanted to chase the kids that were running and diving in but he unfortunately can't be trusted this much but he did seem to enjoy the jumping and soaking me with his hucklebutts and shakes....I would like to go with noone around and see what happens I bet I could make that swim worth wile;)
  • Loved all the pics and the video was too cute!
  • We didn't end up going :( bad weather. No, I'm from southeast Louisiana but I now live in Maryland. Plus it is a lake at a state park that humans are permitted to swim in so I think it is safe. I would never let her in the swampy lakes where I grew up. Mostly because of alligators and vicious bugs with her sensitive skin. We are going to try again next weekend.